Axiom Home Page
Posted By: magre MX Remotes - 03/16/05 05:13 PM
Can anyone give me a cheap place to get an open box MX remote?
Posted By: Ray3 Re: MX Remotes - 03/16/05 05:19 PM
Call Mike at SurfRemoteControl. Alternate choice is BlueDo.
Posted By: ScottA Re: MX Remotes - 03/16/05 06:41 PM
I got my MX 700 at Bluedo about a month ago. Was an open box special. I received the remote and I could not find even the slightest mark on it. Looked brand new. It is an unbelievable remote.

Scott
Posted By: snakeyes Re: MX Remotes - 03/16/05 09:23 PM
go to rochester you will see an older man selling them out of the back of his car with his trusty dog by his side.
Jake
Posted By: Ray3 Re: MX Remotes - 03/16/05 09:26 PM
Actually, I've got a trenchcoat with 20 inside pockets. Also handle the Popeil Kitchen Magician line!
Posted By: chesseroo Re: MX Remotes - 03/16/05 09:37 PM
All this talk about the MX700. I'm starting to get curious.
I feel some questions coming on.... but it could just be a cold.
Posted By: bray Re: MX Remotes - 03/16/05 09:39 PM
AaAaaaaH CHooooo.
Posted By: curtis Re: MX Remotes - 03/16/05 10:18 PM
I love my MX-700.

I will be breaking down soon and buying one for my Parents.....since there HT is coming around, and they have 4 remotes to deal with now.
Posted By: Seabear Re: MX Remotes - 03/17/05 01:21 AM
You are done for.
It seems to go something like this;
You read a few posts about the remote.
You do a little poking around on the net about them.
You post a question about one here.
And then Ray sends you some sort of remote-voodoo-spyware-magic cleverly hidden in his reply.
Within 12 hours of Ray posting his reply you find yourself sitting at your computer at 3:00 AM feverishly searching through obscure files on the internet, looking for discrete codes to control your garbage disposal and wondering if you can sneak into your neighbors house to steal IR codes to turn off their deck lights.
And the FedEx guy hasn't even shown up at your door with the remote yet.
Whe he does, you answer the door with a box cutter in hand and 4 AAA batteries clenched in your teeth, 3-day-old Jammies on, and a really scary look in your eyes.
Resistance is futile.
Just Buy the damn thing and save yourself some time.
They should just charge us $180 to join these forums and pass 'em out at the door.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: MX Remotes - 03/17/05 01:40 AM

Tom - yer killin' me. RLMFAO!!!!!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: MX Remotes - 03/17/05 01:51 AM
lol.

I'm too lazy, so would somebody link to this in the best-of thread?
Posted By: littleb Re: MX Remotes - 03/17/05 02:03 AM
Double ditto LOL.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: MX Remotes - 03/17/05 03:49 AM
In reply to:

They should just charge us $180 to join these forums and pass 'em out at the door.

That's fantastic. Truly hilarious.

Posted By: darthkringle Re: MX Remotes - 03/17/05 03:30 PM
I assume this means they are reccomended over and above the Logitech Harmony remotes that Audioholics has a fit over? Can anyone send me a link to info about the MX remote as well as reccomended model?
Posted By: Ray3 Re: MX Remotes - 03/17/05 04:32 PM
Here is the review done by Remote Central. Detailed and accurate.

You might also want to noodle around in the Home Theater Master forum at Remote Central. Covers the MX-700.

Finally, search on MX-700 here. There are a couple of pretty robust threads from 3rd quarter last year.
Posted By: Ajax Re: MX Remotes - 03/17/05 05:33 PM
Actually the Harmony's have a number of proponents here on the forum and are considered an equally good choice. They're certainly less expensive, and, though I may be wrong about this, are considered simpler to operate than the MX-700. Ironically, I couldn't figure out the Harmony, and even had a little trouble starting out with the MX-700. But once I got the hang of it, I'm just knocked out by the ergonomics and versatility of the MX.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: MX Remotes - 03/17/05 05:34 PM
Is anyone here considering swapping out their MX-700 for one of the newer models?
Posted By: sidvicious02 Re: MX Remotes - 03/17/05 06:06 PM
Jack's got a good take on this. From reading the various comments on the forum for the pros/cons of the Harmony vs. MX700, i would say there are two main differences:

1. Harmony's are easier with initial setup (and probably very slightly higher WAF).
2. MX700 is more customisable (is that even a word???) meaning you can enter all kinds of wacky macros and commands to control anything you want.

that's my take on it anyways, but i've also never owned an MX700 so I can't really say for certain.
2. MX700
Posted By: Capn_Pickard Re: MX Remotes - 03/17/05 06:17 PM
Not to belabor the point (I feel like 2X6 in tube amp discussions...) but I, as you know, think the harmony is great, and recommend it to all of my friends. I got my parents one - and they love it. It definitely is an easy remote, with high WAF. Anecdotally, I tell the story of a neighbor, totally unfamiliar with both my system and A/V in general (she just upgraded from a 19" television as her main set), wh ocame over one day to take care of my new puppy. She wanted to watch tv, so she picked up the one remote that she could see, looked curiously and then pressed the most logical button on the thing - "Watch TV." As expected by you (but not to her), the whole thing came to life - cable box, TV, receiver, dsp settings, tv input, yada yada. My point is that it might not be extremely complex, but that's why we get these things in the first place. Besides, you system has to really be screwed up ("gerry rigged") in order to present a challenge to these remotes. Simpler = better in my book.

Now, go buy the MX-700 and get it over with.
Posted By: bray Re: MX Remotes - 03/17/05 06:28 PM
What does a Harmony remote go for? How is it programed?(maually or computer) The only reasons I havent looked further into the MX700, is that I can't use my Mac to program it.
Posted By: curtis Re: MX Remotes - 03/17/05 07:24 PM
Harmony has a handful of models. Retail pricing ranges from $150 to $250. The configuration utilizes a device menu system via the web....which is then downloaded to the remote via USB. They ARE Mac compatible.
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/productlistharmony/US/EN,crid=2080&categoryid=406
Posted By: Ken.C Re: MX Remotes - 03/17/05 07:33 PM
Having looked at the remotes at (um...) Macworld, I prefer the Harmony 676. It seems to have the best button layout, and surprisingly, the covers actually look pretty good. Plus, owning a TiVo, I really like the peanut shaped remotes. Strangely, my wife disliked the other Harmonys because she found the "Watch TV" and "Listen to Music" buttons to be insulting...

I'm still resisting...
Posted By: Ajax Re: MX Remotes - 03/17/05 08:49 PM
LOL! I think I would like your wife very much.
Posted By: Daphoid Re: MX Remotes - 03/17/05 09:49 PM
<b>get with the times, the MX-700 is dead, MX-850 is the new god.</b>

- D
Posted By: Ken.C Re: MX Remotes - 03/17/05 10:19 PM
Well, I do... She can be very...straighforward.
Posted By: curtis Re: MX Remotes - 03/17/05 10:49 PM
As much as I like my MX-700, I am thinking about getting a Harmony for my Parents......they will not need the flexibility of the MX-700.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: MX Remotes - 03/17/05 11:00 PM
Before deciding, both remotes should be looked at. They are both terrific and do things a little differently. You've got to make the choice on what floats YOUR boat.

Hmmmm, where have we heard THAT before?
Posted By: snakeyes Re: MX Remotes - 03/18/05 05:55 AM
In a boat making competition maybe?
Posted By: littleb Re: MX Remotes - 03/19/05 08:49 PM
I called DTV today, just in case they had a super, duper remote they would send me that would give me complete control over my Denon receiver. The tech support dude told me there are hardly any universal remotes that will allow you to control every function of a "stereo" receiver. Am I to gather from this that even if I dropped some hard earned cash on a Harmony or a MX-700 that I would still have to keep that horrible Denon remote within reach?
Posted By: Ray3 Re: MX Remotes - 03/19/05 09:41 PM
Bruce,

The tech has no clue. There is a file at Remote Central that provides EVERY code/command for Denon receivers that is available. It's like being turned loose in a candy store. You even have + and - adjustments for every speaker, including the subwoofer.

I have devices set up for my 3803 on the MX-700 as follows:
TUNER - specific to and only for AM/FM radio

RCVR - all of the commands needed to manage my Home Theater functions. In this device, I have set up a macro that brings up the On Screen Display (OSD).

SPEKR - all of the adjustment commands for the individual speakers (mentioned above)

It's all pretty special.

Posted By: Seabear Re: MX Remotes - 03/20/05 02:24 AM
Hey Guys, I think I figured it out.
The MX700 Voodoo comes out of that little dogs eyes!
Don't look at the eyes!
I looked at the eyes and I almost clicked over to the Surfremote site to order another one!

Seriously,
I already have one of the Harmony Remotes, and if it had more ability to program macros then I would have stuck with it. It is a terrific remote, and VERY easy for non-techie types to live with.
And actually, I AM stuck with it, because the Sweetie has already made it clear, in no uncertain terms, that I am not taking her Harmony Remote away from her.
But at least it is a Win/Win kind of thing. I'll have my MX 700 (someday, when I get done programming it!) and she will have her Harmony.
Sort of like the bedroom, where I bought TWO of those cheap ($7.99 at Target!)universal remotes for the TV. One for her side of the bed, one for mine. Eliminates the wrestling under the covers trying to find the hidden remote when one of us has fallen asleep with the TV on and the other one wants to turn it off and go to sleep!
Posted By: littleb Re: MX Remotes - 03/20/05 02:53 AM
You'll talk me into this, yet!
© Axiom Message Boards