Axiom Home Page
Posted By: lomb7 Plasma vs DLP - 03/18/05 11:01 PM
I have a friend that is looking into plasma's and DLP's. I have showed him my plasma and he is very impressed but he wanted to know how they stack up against DLP's. I do not know much about DLP's so I wanted to see what the pro's and con's are to them. His room is well lit by sunlight so will that effect the pic quality on a DLP.

Anyway, any help would be great.
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: Plasma vs DLP - 03/19/05 12:17 AM
Not a DLP expert either, but I know they can be suspect to a rainbow effect. The kicker is that some people notice it, others don't. DLP users have to figure out if it actually affects them, and whether it matters or not.
Posted By: curtis Re: Plasma vs DLP - 03/19/05 12:23 AM
I wouldn't leave out LCD technology either. Just like speakers, there are pros and cons for each technology.
Posted By: snakeyes Re: Plasma vs DLP - 03/19/05 01:01 AM
Whats the budget? What size does he want? im no dlp expert but i just got the 52hm84 dlp from toshiba and so far i love it.
Jake
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Plasma vs DLP - 03/19/05 01:13 AM
In reply to:

His room is well lit by sunlight so will that effect the pic quality on a DLP.

The plasma as well... they're no different in that respect. Some feel that the best of the plasmas are a tiny bit better than the the DLPs... but the best of the plasmas are 3X the cost.

My personal opinion is that the only strong reason to choose a plasma over a DLP is if you really want/need to hang it on the wall or you like the "cool factor"....
Posted By: Sandman Re: Plasma vs DLP - 03/19/05 01:41 AM
I just purchased the Mitsubishi WD-52525 DLP and it's totally awesome. The Mitsubishi doesn't produce these “rainbow effects” as often as other DLP sets, but if you've got a trained eye and know what to look for, they show up occasionally. However, most who have viewed this tv can't even tell. There's a review of this tv on my website you can read, along with a review of the Samsung HL-P5063W. If interested just click on my name then the link provided.
Posted By: vettenut01 Re: Plasma vs DLP - 03/19/05 03:47 AM
I recently spent quite a bit of time looking at DLP's, LCD's & Plasma's to put in my future home, currently have an older Hitachi 53" rear projection screen TV. I ended up ordering a new Hitachi 55" Plasma. There are Pro's & Con's with all types and cost is a major factor. Plasma's are still considerably more expensive than a DLP but what sold me was the viewing angle, you can sit almost anywhere and enjoy the picture, also I think the color saturation is just fantastic with the majority of plasma's when compared to the alternatives. Plasma's however cost much more to run and run hotter (a extended warranty is almost a must have). Depending on your room layout you can be very happy with a DLP, I still enjoy my current Hitachi but I do sit pretty much in line with the screen. Coolness factor wasn't a consideration, I'm probably going to get more smart *!* comments from relatives thinking I wasted my money but you only live once. Can't wait to order my Axiom's once I move in to get everything in perfect shape. Good Luck...
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Plasma vs DLP - 03/19/05 12:46 PM
In reply to:

I'm probably going to get more smart *!* comments from relatives thinking I wasted my money but you only live once.

Jeeesh, I get that now with my DLP.

My side of the family thinks a 27" is big... even in a living room that puts it 14' away from the couch....yet they have 9 TVs in my parents house and seven in my sisters! They're just all crappy! My father thinks that when you buy a TV or a piece of electronics that emits audio of any kind, that you should just buy the cheapest you can find.... they're all the same. I'm not kidding here... he wants a home theater setup and has been looking at HTIB systems for under $80.00! He says "I don't need all that fancy stuff, I can't hear above 15Khz anyway!". I can't convince him that he's only missing out on 1/2 an octave and that you simply can't produce five speakers, a sub, and a receiver for $79 and have it be ANYthing but the biggest piece of crap....!

Joyce's parents have a 23" (yes, 23"...how long has it been since you could even buy a 23" CRT?) console TV where everything's been green for a few years. I'm not talking subtle, like "let me tweak that a touch for you"; I'm talking skin tones the palor of the Jolly Green Giant. They only have two TVs though. That one is in their family room; the living room TV (a 19" on a fiberboard...almost cardboard stand) only gets turned on for special occasions.

Funny thing is, all these people have much, much, much more descretionary income than I do. Nice houses, no mortgages, higher incomes, Life Is Good. They just coincidentally think that their TVs are good enough.

Any of them come here....

It's like I set up a $50,000 dedicated theater where the side lanterns burn $100 bills for ambience and that humongous 46" DLP screen is made from diamond dust to allow that hi-def imagery to shine through. You'd think I have orphan children in the basement feeding a coal furnace to produce the electricity.... which doesn't even run on coal but puppies.

Oh crap. This is gonna count as a hijack, won't it?
Posted By: vettenut01 Re: Plasma vs DLP - 03/19/05 01:18 PM
The comment regarding the Jolly Green Giant color scheme had me rolling on the floor laughing, my dad has one TV in his house a 25" Console (when was the last time you saw a console TV). The color is similar to your comment and the volume adjustment is scratchy from a dirty volume potentiometer. My dad has never had a VCR or DVD player or anything but all this techno stuff isn't for him. (Guess that's why he has money and I don't). Once I get the bill's for all the electronics and other stuff I'm getting for our new home I think the family will be eating pasta & rice for a while. Might even have to save up used motor oil and see if my furnace will burn it to save a few bucks. Just paid $2.29 a gallon for oil here in New England Ouch!! Glad I'm not the only one who get's grief over tech equipment, as my wife politely says; "The only difference between men and boys are the price of their toys".
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Plasma vs DLP - 03/19/05 01:50 PM
Yeah, I forgot to mention VCRs!
My family has a ton of them...virtually with every TV. Joyces parents have one... that they have had for about 8-10 years. They have never rented a movie, and they never have recorded anything on it. It sits on top of the TV, clock flashing 12:00, under a clear acrylic dust cover that makes it look like a museum piece.

It only gets used if someone brings over a tape of "the kids" or omething. Then the acrylic cover is majestically removed.

Posted By: snakeyes Re: Plasma vs DLP - 03/19/05 03:09 PM
In reply to:

They have never rented a movie, and they never have recorded anything on it. It sits on top of the TV, clock flashing 12:00, under a clear acrylic dust cover that makes it look like a museum piece.

classic

Posted By: Ray3 Re: Plasma vs DLP - 03/19/05 04:46 PM
Well, at least the clock is correct twice a day.
Posted By: Lorenzo1000 Re: Plasma vs DLP- Long post- Star Trek - 03/19/05 05:39 PM
Star Trek: The VCR!
STARDATE 12:00 12:00 12:00

by Christopher Buckley

CAPTAIN KIRK: Captain's log, stardate 7412.6... hello? The red light still isn't going on. Testing, 1-2-3-4. Chekov, it's not recording.

CHEKOV: I know, Keptin. Perhaps a negative function with the clock-timer.

UHURA: Captain, I'm getting indications of a Klingon presence.

KIRK: Mr. Spock?

SPOCK: I confirm at least six Imperial Klingon warships, Captain, and heading toward our position at Warp 7.

KIRK: No, the Captain's log. Why won't it record?

SPOCK: Might I suggest, Captain, that we first remove ourselves to a more secure sector and then address the matter of your log? That would be the...logical approach.

KIRK: There's nothing logical about this instruction manual. Chekov?

CHEKOV: Keptin?

KIRK: Try this. "With the Rec-On day flashing, press the 5 key."

CHEKOV: I did already, Keptin. Still negative function.

SULU: Captain, I'm having difficulty holding course.

KIRK: Shut down engines. Chekov, "Press the number for the day. For Sunday, press the 1 key, for Monday, the 2 key, and so on."

CHEKOV: Affirmative, Keptin. Still negative function. Perhaps ve should go back to page 15, vere it said to press Rec-Off time and enter two digits for the hour.

SPOCK: Captain, the Klingons are arming their photon torpedoes.

KIRK: Engineering.

SCOTTY: Aye, Captain?

KIRK: Mr. Scott, we've got a malfunction in the log. We're going to need full deflector power while we get it fixed.

SCOTTY: I canna guarantee it, Captain. The systems are overloaded as it is.

CHEKOV: Keptin, the flashing 12:00 disappeared!

KIRK: Good work, Chekov!

CHEKOV: Den it came right back.

KIRK: Damn it. Analysis, Mr. Spock.

SPOCK: It would appear, Captain, that this instruction manual that you and Mr.Chekov have been attempting to decipher was written in Taiwan.

KIRK: Taiwan?

SPOCK: A small island in the Pacific Rim Sector, formerly inhabited by a determined people who believed that the adductor muscles in giant clams, Tridacna gigas, conferred sexual potency. In the later twentieth century, they became purveyors of early video equipment to what was then the United States. They were able to successfully emasculate the entire U.S. male population by means of impenetrable instruction manuals. It was this that eventually led to the Great Conflict.

KIRK: But this is 7412.6. How did a Taiwanese instruction manual get aboard the Enterprise?

SPOCK: It is possible that a Taiwanese computer virus was able to infiltrate Star Fleet Instruction Manual Command and subtly alter the books so that not even university-trained humans could understand them.

KIRK: It's diabolical.

SPOCK: On the contrary, it is perfectly logical. Their strategy was based on an ancient form of Oriental persuasion known as water torture. In this case, instead of water a digital rendering of the hour of twelve o'clock is flashed repeatedly and will not disappear until the unit is correctly programmed.

KIRK: And for that you need a manual you can understand.

SPOCK: Precisely. Unless...

KIRK: Spit it out, Spock.

SPOCK: You have Star Log Plus. A small device that permitted the Americans to bypass the instruction manuals and program their units so that they would not end up with six hours of electronic snow instead of "Masterpiece Theater" or, more likely, "American Gladiators."

KIRK: Could you make one these things, Spock?

SPOCK: It would take more than the one minute and twenty seconds that we have until we are within range of Klingon weapons.

DR. McCOY: Jim, you know I hate to agree with Spock, but he's right. We've got to get out of here. There are hundreds of people on this ship, young people, with homes and families and futures, and pets--little hamsters on treadmills, Jim. You can't sacrifice them just because you can't figure out how to program your damn log!

KIRK: I know my responsibilities, Bones. Spock, would it be possible to beam the flashing 12:00 into the Klingons' control panel?

SPOCK: Theoretically, yes.

KIRK: Do it.

UHURA: Captain, I'm picking up a Klingon transmission.

KIRK: Put it on screen.

KLINGONS: QI'yaH, majegh!

KIRK: Translation, Spock.

SPOCK: It appears to have worked, Captain. They are surrendering.

KIRK: Take us home, Mr. Sulu. Mr. Chekov, try pressing the OTR button twice.

Posted By: Ken.C Re: Plasma vs DLP- Long post- Star Trek - 03/19/05 07:52 PM
Man, I normally hate flashing 12:00 jokes, but that one was pretty funny.

Really, people, it's not that hard to program a VCR. Or maybe I'm just talented.
Posted By: kste1974 Re: Plasma vs DLP - 03/19/05 08:02 PM
This post rules! Great imaging on that one.
Wow, massively geeky. I love Star Trek, Star Wars, etc but that was way outta my league.
Posted By: shag Re: Plasma vs DLP - 03/21/05 05:25 PM
Don't rule out the rear projection LCD's. I too was looking at plasma's and ended up buying Sony's KF42WE610 42" Grand WEGA HDTV-Ready LCD Rear Projection TV. It has a fantastic picture at a third of the cost of the plasma I would have bought. I have not been disappointed yet with the Sony.
© Axiom Message Boards