Axiom Home Page
Posted By: bugbitten It's easy to be confused. - 04/07/05 02:54 PM
By the username you can tell what I've got. I've auditioned B&W - 700's, 600's, Paradigm - Monitor, Studio, JBL, Klipsch, Polk, Infinity... over a 2 month period. All in environments from listening rooms to warehouse showrooms. Some I like, Some I don't. The question is: What will they sound like at home? I live 50-100 miles from dealers with the equipment. Nobdy wants to lend.
I'm considering EPIC 60.500. Advice?
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: It's easy to be confused. - 04/07/05 03:05 PM
Welcome Douglas.

As Alan just wrote in another post in this thread a moment ago, the room and speaker placement within that room is very important. It's always near impossible to predict how a speaker that you're hearing in a showroom (or warehouse!!) will sound in your room, which is why so many of us are big believers in Axioms' "try it in your home" policy.

I haven't made the comparison myself, but many feel that the Axiom 60s sound is pretty similar to the B&W 700 series...at quite a bit less $$$. And the 500 sub is supposed to be simply awesome!

Posted By: bugbitten Re: It's easy to be confused. - 04/07/05 03:09 PM
Are you stisfied with the 350
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: It's easy to be confused. - 04/07/05 03:14 PM
Of the speakers you auditioned, what did you like or not like?

There are some posts here that directly compare Axioms to some models (Paradigm and B&W are fairly common). Different people prefer different things, so there really is no substitute for YOU listening in YOUR environment. I have read some people prefer the B&W or Paradigms, and a very few have liked particular Polk models, but I do not recall ANYBODY preferring JBL, Infinity or Klipsch to Axiom.

I am personally very satisfied with the quality and value of Axiom speakers. Peruse the forums a bit and see if you can glean anything that speaks to you directly.
Posted By: bugbitten Re: It's easy to be confused. - 04/07/05 03:16 PM
There's more to the story. My track record is buying speakers every 10-12 years. Are the build quality of the axioms equal to the cost. This will be the most I've ever spent on speakers.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: It's easy to be confused. - 04/07/05 03:21 PM
In reply to:

Are you stisfied with the 350

I am... though I'm still tweaking because I'm in an acoustically "bad" room... 13' square. There are times when I think I'd like to have the better depth that the 500 offers for movie soundtracks, but to be honest, I don't think I would hear much difference 95% of the time as my 350 will handle the volume I need for any source and the depth I need for music.

Which brings us to the most important questions if you're trying to determine which Axioms would fit your needs:
How big is the room?
How big is your listening area?
What's the ratio of music VS. movies?
What type of music do you most enjoy and how loud?
What do you have for an amp/receiver?

Any of us here can help you whittle down a selection, but it might also be worth a call to Axiom to get their recommendations. As many here will attest, they're just as likely to recommend a smaller speaker as a larger one...i.e, there's no sales pitch or "upsell".
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: It's easy to be confused. - 04/07/05 03:22 PM
In reply to:

Are the build quality of the axioms equal to the cost.

Nope. Better.

I bought mine as a long-term investment after expecting and planning on spending thousands more!
Posted By: bugbitten Re: It's easy to be confused. - 04/07/05 04:06 PM
30 x 13.5 x 8 room, my half 15 x 13.5
90/10 movies/music
action, scifi, all music but rap, hip-hop, heavy metal
not a loud listener, but I want to hear the subleties
denon 3905
Posted By: bugbitten Re: It's easy to be confused. - 04/07/05 04:11 PM
excuse the spelling. subtleties. I want to hear the clicks and booms of the depth charges in U-571 and Das Boot
Posted By: bray Re: It's easy to be confused. - 04/07/05 04:16 PM
Bug
Where are you located?
Posted By: spiffnme Re: It's easy to be confused. - 04/07/05 04:17 PM
Sounds like the package you chose is just about perfect for what you listen to, and the size of the room you have.

Posted By: SirQuack Re: It's easy to be confused. - 04/07/05 04:18 PM
welcome bugbitten,

I spent about 2-3 months audition various speakers, most of the ones you mention above. My brother in-law has a professional recording studio in which he uses the 703 B&W's. We recently took my M60's there and he was very amazed of what he was hearing. To some Axioms may be pricey, but when they perform as well as Speakers twice to three times the price, oh well you get the picture. The build quality is fantastic. My previous speakers where a combination of my 80's Pioneer 4-ways (which still work great), Infinity bookshelf for surrounds, an Advent Center, all being driven by a JVC Pro Logic receiver from the early 90's. I absolutely love my Axioms, and actually have talked 2-3 people at my work into them recently, yippy

Randy

M60's VP150 EP350 4-Qs8's
Denon 2805
Sanyo Z2 projector
Toshiba DVD
Samsung HD receiver
Posted By: bugbitten Re: It's easy to be confused. - 04/07/05 04:22 PM
Western KY.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: It's easy to be confused. - 04/07/05 04:24 PM
You're not gonna believe how much better Axioms would sound than your current speakers!
Posted By: SirQuack Re: It's easy to be confused. - 04/07/05 04:26 PM
Have you checked the "Audition Axioms in your Area" thread in the Questions and Answers" Forum? You may be able to find someone close or even in a nearby state, depending on where you live, that would let you listen to Axioms...Randy

Posted By: bray Re: It's easy to be confused. - 04/07/05 04:30 PM
Bug
Looks like there are three people in Kentucky willing to audition their axioms, however I havent seen any of them on the boards in a long time.
Try giving them a PM and if that doesnt work give Amie at Axiom a call, and she may be able to help.
Heres the link I find auditioneers at
http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=first&Number=76567&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=

Amie-
I make this suggestion (calling you) to a lot of people.
Is this OK?
Posted By: bigwill2 Re: It's easy to be confused. - 04/07/05 04:50 PM
Of course you should try to arrange an audition, but it does sound like you may like the Axioms - including the EP500 - for the purposes you describe.
I would recommend buying just the M60s initially (assuming an audition is not possible) to ensure that you like what you're buying. If not return shipping shouldn't be too bad from Kentucky.
BTW, you a bourbon drinker?
Posted By: spiffnme Re: It's easy to be confused. - 04/07/05 05:56 PM
Just as easy to email Amie...perhaps easier, than calling. I know she's sent a few people my way for an audition before.

Posted By: bugbitten Re: It's easy to be confused. - 04/07/05 10:13 PM
Makers Mark and Woodford Reserve.
Also am wine enthusiast.
I have asked Brent at Axiom for ballpark return charges.
I might try the 60's and 150 center first.
Posted By: BigWill Re: It's easy to be confused. - 04/08/05 01:50 AM
All you Kentucky folk sure like the Makers Mark, huh? I suppose you also look for the 7 drip bottle?
If you ever make it out to California let everybody know - I know some great wineries in the Temecula area and I think those sissies in noCal (y'all know who you are) know a thing or two about their local grape, as well.
Posted By: bugbitten Re: It's easy to be confused. - 04/08/05 02:47 PM
I've only been to SF, Napa/Sonoma and Carmel. Great food, wine, fun.
Posted By: bugbitten Re: It's easy to be confused. - 04/08/05 07:02 PM
Brent replied to my question about shipping returns and the cost is less than a trip for auditions (gas and travel time). Ready to order, but it's vacation time. The wife's a CPA and finishes the 15th, then off to relax for a week or more. Guess I get to think about it until the 25-26.
really lean toward 60.500.
Posted By: bigwill2 Re: It's easy to be confused. - 04/08/05 07:14 PM
If you're not put off by the EP500s cost, that seems like a slam dunk. Good luck.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: It's easy to be confused. - 04/08/05 07:15 PM
definitely a slam dunk!

throw in a center and surrounds, and you will be in HT bliss..

bigjohn
Posted By: KC_Mike Re: It's easy to be confused. - 04/09/05 05:44 AM
Ahh..I am also a Woodford Reserve fan. In fact, I am having one at the moment.

Listen, my advice is to order the Axiom system on the 30 day trial. If you don't like them, it won't cost you much to send them back. The price you pay is worth the peace of mind. I can assure you that if you don't like them, the return process will be hassle free. Just give them a try. I doubt you will be dissapointed.
Posted By: Seabear Re: It's easy to be confused. - 04/09/05 12:43 PM
"Are you stisfied with the 350"

Have not gotten to the bottom of this thread, so you may already have gotten plenty of opinions on the 350, but I wanted to chime in fast with;

I love mine!

I am admittidly not one of the Sub-Freaks on these boards, but this 350 is all that I could ever imagine needing, unless I move into a substantially bigger room than the one I am in now.
You will get lots and lots of votes for the HSU/SVS/Outlaw stuff, and I'll bet they are indeed great, but the 350 is terrific as well.
TjB

Posted By: bugbitten Re: It's easy to be confused. - 04/09/05 02:51 PM
how big is your room? mine 30 x 13.5 x 8 but main listening area 20 x 13.5
Posted By: bugbitten Re: It's easy to be confused. - 04/10/05 06:58 PM
NOT CONFUSED ANY MORE!
Pulled the trigger.
60s, 150, 8's, 500 in boston cherry, 100 ft speaker wire, 12 ft sub cable.
So excited I won't sleep tonight!
Posted By: F107plus5 Re: It's easy to be confused. - 04/11/05 01:26 AM
Way To GO!!!

If your new M60s sound anywhere as good as my new M50s...uh...hold on...they're supposed to sound BETTER than my new M50s!!

Plus the rest of the goodies...

If you just ordered them, and if you're like the rest of us, you won't sleep tomorrow night either!!

Congratulations!!
Rich.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: It's easy to be confused. - 04/11/05 01:16 PM
cool deal there bug..

you are gonna have one seriously rockin' system there.

make sure and post your impressions, and pics..

bigjohn
Posted By: bigwill2 Re: It's easy to be confused. - 04/11/05 03:22 PM
Good move! I'm certain you'll be ecstatic.
Posted By: bugbitten Re: It's easy to be confused. - 04/13/05 02:41 AM
So, to keep me from staring out the front window I went to RS and got the meter. Got out the two wheeler and brought it in the house to move the monsters around. Ordered the Avia DVD. Bought a new stand so I could properly display the components. But I just keep going back to the window.
Ah, tomorrow 4:30 pm eta.
Posted By: BigWill Re: It's easy to be confused. - 04/13/05 03:34 AM
I know you'll be tempted to trash that Bose stuff, or let it go cheap, but it might be wise to put it to use elsewhere in the house. I wish I'd kept my little Bose system for the baby's room.
Posted By: bugbitten Re: It's easy to be confused. - 04/13/05 04:20 PM
Bose will go to son's room. Not that he'll be listening to anything in his room anymore!
Posted By: bugbitten Re: It's easy to be confused. - 04/16/05 04:09 PM
I am impressed. Last night (this morning 12-1) I listened to a "Simply Red" concert on Voom sat. 5.1 Dolby and I feel like I heard every nuance. I even did some calibrating mid-set to see the effect of changes. The 60's, 150, 8's and 500 gave me a great concert. Right now I have the crossover at 100. Adjusted the 500 to 1/4 volume. Video of the footwork of the organist showed were the bass note were coming from. Still more tinkering to come. Love this system so far.
Posted By: michael_d Re: It's easy to be confused. - 04/16/05 07:20 PM
I'm no expert...by no means. Only comment I had was in regards to the sub volume level. After playing with my set up, I ended up using the RS meter to set the volume where my sub was 1 DB higher than the speakers. I then tweaked the crossover until I was happy with it. Right now it's about 80. I have no idea if that's the preferred method or not, but it sure made it a lot simpler to dial it in.
Oh, and my preference is Bookers. Although I do like Makers Mark in my Whiskey Sours. Also a wine enthusiast. Cabs and Zins mostly. Just had a 94’ Silverado Cab the other night…..nice… very nice. Glad I bought that case a few years back.

best regards......mike
Posted By: BigWill Re: It's easy to be confused. - 04/16/05 09:17 PM
Who do the Kentucky folks like this year for the Derby? That Steinbrenner horse?
Posted By: AshBoomstick Re: It's easy to be confused. - 04/16/05 10:04 PM
In reply to:

Who do the Kentucky folks like this year for the Derby? That Steinbrenner horse?

who, Giambi?

Posted By: bugbitten Re: It's easy to be confused. - 04/17/05 06:58 PM
As I said in another thread. "Watched and listened to DVD "Ray" last night with friends. My buddy Joe who has seen the movie multiple times could not believe how great it sounds on my new system. I've only had my 60s, 150, 8s and EP500 3 days and could not be happier."
Changed the crossover to 80. Have slightly increased the 500 volume.
Makers and seven for years, but more martini's now. Love a good Merlot. Favorite wineries are Chateau St. Michelle, Chateau Julien and Christom Vinyards.
Posted By: michael_d Re: It's easy to be confused. - 04/17/05 08:20 PM
How funny.......we’d probably get along. I enjoy making a good martini as well. Been infusing it for a couple years now. Pineapple and Blackberry are my favorite fruits to infuse so far. Try this...2 prts B/B infused Finlandia, 1 prt cointreau, 1 prt chambord, 1 prt sweet/sour mix. The s/s mix I make with fresh lemons, limes, cherries, mandarin oranges and simple syrup. The martini sounds much sweeter than it actually is. A really good cocktail book is Diffordsguide to cocktails www.diffordsguide.com (it's my favorite, and I have many).

For Merlots, you might try Steltzner and Provenance - Napa vineries, and Kim Crawford – New Zealand. They are my favorite Merlots that I’m never disappointed with, no matter what year (so far).
© Axiom Message Boards