Axiom Home Page
Posted By: pizoni Universal player - 04/23/05 03:10 PM
Hi everybody!
Yamaha DV-C6770 6disc changer:DVD Audio,SACD,etc, plus NTSC/PAL!-under $300 or...Denon 2900,2910,3910-you know the price...)?
Any help?
Thank you!
Regards,
Octavian
Posted By: michael_d Re: Universal player - 04/23/05 04:35 PM
I think you'll find that the picture quality of changers isn't what a single disk player is. I have no idea why, other than pure speculation that folks looking for a changer are more interested in CD playback than watching DVDs. So the manufacturers consider this, and don’t put as much R&D into changer PQ.

My integra changer is about at the bottom of the list on the last DVD ranking sheet I saw. I could have bought about any of your listed Denons for what I paid for the integra. My old Toshiba 6200 has better PQ than it does. But it does have amazing CD playback, so I’m not too bummed about the deal.

So I’d suggest that you list your priority – changer or picture quality. Then the experts here can give you input on what they think the pros/cons are.

Posted By: F107plus5 Re: Universal player - 04/23/05 05:48 PM
While we're waiting for the experts to formulate their responces, I'll just chime in with a quick comment.

The wife and I are quickly approaching that age in which getting up and changing a disc, either CD or DVD, is gonna be a bit of a hassle. So...

We went out and got us one of those two or three DVD juke boxes currently available. You know what? It ain't bad. A couch potato can really put down roots with one of these things!

We purchased a Sony CX985-the cheaper one in black(cause WAF thought it matched the receiver better)plus for a couple bucks in extended warrenty, it matches the ES 5 year warranty. So that was cool.

Our eyes-three of them for the two of us-are aging at the same rate our feet are, so the picture quality dosen't have to be first rate, However, WOW, it does a great job!!

The hardest part is logging-in all the DVDs! We have nearly the full complement of the 400 disc capacity, and the machine only copies data from about 10% of those discs installed-so we gotta manualy type in the rest!

I don't have a truly premium DVD player to compare it to, but the convenience and picture quality we do have is well within the "More than Acceptable" range.(Some folks may say it's a good match for our M50s: Does everything well but nothing brilliantly, it's a very "pleasant" DVD player!)

OK experts: Your turn!
Rich.

Posted By: NeverHappy Re: Universal player - 04/23/05 09:02 PM
I'm not sure I would call myself an expert but I will post my choice. Out of those two players.............it's easy. 2900 hands down.
Posted By: alan Re: Universal player - 04/23/05 09:54 PM
Hi pizoni,

While everyone feels the Denon 2900 and 2910 are the state of the art DVD player to get, and certainly they are very good, I would point out that differences in video playback amount to nuances. If you obsess over video quality, then get the Denon. But at the same time, remember that DVD is NOT HD quality, and no amount of upconverting, line doubling and other video processing can turn DVD into HD.

As to the audio quality of the SACD, DVD-Audio and plain ol' CD playback, while there are measurable differences in the Signal to Noise and some other electrical criteria, these differences in my judgment are not audible between the expensive players and the cheap Universal players (Pioneer, Toshiba, Samsung etc.). The anecdotal reports of audible differences between various D/A converters are, in my experience, NEVER based on really controlled testing, which involves running duplicate discs (DVD-As, SACDs, CDs, etc.) perfectly synced on both players, equalizing playback levels exactly and careful instantaneous A/B switching between players. When controls like these are used, many of the alleged audible differences evaporate.

Regards,
Posted By: sssutherland Re: Universal player - 04/23/05 10:12 PM
Well well well. If we consider Alan's statements to be true. And I'm sure that they are true enough. We all need to rush out to Costco (at least those of us that live near one or even know what a Costco is) and buy the Samsung universal player that they have there for . . . .$99.00

Yup for one hundred bucks you get SACD,DVD audio, DVD, CD, MP3, . . need I say more.

Just think, instead of spending the over $500 for the other players you could invest that $400 plus into better speakers or better amplification. A far better dollar for dollar improvement in sound quality than investing $400 more into a DVD player!
Posted By: F107plus5 Re: Universal player - 04/23/05 10:32 PM
Hey, maybe I'll change my thoughts here! Maybe I have M50 speakers but M60 or M80...or maybe even...

Or maybe I'll just let it go with what I said about my lazy dayz ol' Sony juke box.
It's all good.

Rich.
Posted By: NeverHappy Re: Universal player - 04/23/05 10:37 PM
Funny thing though, my $100.00 WalMart Toshiba has nowhere near the picture of my 2900 nor does the $89.00 Best Buy special I currently run in my kids rec room.

I'm actually going to shut up now as this thread is going to get me into trouble. To a point I agree with Alan but to state
In reply to:

If you obsess over video quality, then get the Denon

to me at least this is wrong. The 2900 has a vastly superior picture to a bargain priced DVD player. What the hell is wrong with wanting the best picture out of a DVD player? For those of us who want the best picture we can get, we look at Denon, Arcam and others. For those that can live with pixel break up, chroma issues, blacker then black issues, sloooooooooow layer changes and a host of other things, more power to you and yes a cheap player will work just fine and dandy.......but it's good to know that there are options out there for those of us who don't want to live with the above.

The Denon should be looked at for just it's layer changes. When they happen I can't see them. My other players all pause for at least 2 or 3 seconds. Is that worth something to me? yes it is. That is what you usually get with a quality player versus a Wally World special....better picture, seemless layer changes and yes even better DAC's.................darn, I said I was going to shut up didn't I? MY BAD!

Posted By: pmbuko Re: Universal player - 04/24/05 01:32 AM
That's OK. Since you own an audio accessory company, and thus part of your livelihood depends on people believing in tangible differences between product X and product Y, I supposed you're allowed a rant or two every now and then. Just don't go overboard or we'll ask you to submit hard evidence.
Posted By: Seabear Re: Universal player - 04/24/05 01:46 AM
Pizoni,
I do not know the Yam DV-C6770, but I have the Yam listed in my sig, as well as the 2900.
I guess I'm going to fall on both sides (or neither depending on your outlook) on this one.
The Yamaha has a perfectly acceptable picture by today's standards. In other words, very good.
Way better than the inexpensive Sony that it replaced, or the even less expensive Sony before that, and I can't remember what the first (free) one was.
But, it is certainly not the 2900.
My eyes see a vast difference between the two.

As to sound, it is a bit apples and oranges.
Playing the 2900 via analog inputs, so I'm using the DACs in the 2900.
The Yamaha is only connected via digital, so I am using the DACs in the Yamaha 2500.
Again, the Yamaha is very good. Very, very good for the money.
But the Denon is, to my ears, far, far superior.
I much prefer it to the Yamaha given how I am using them.

I've never hooked up the digital audio outputs on the Denon,
nor the analog outputs on the Yamaha, so, like I say, it is a bit of a stilted comparison.

you can find a good review of the Yamaha at Audioholics.com

Just my 2 cents.

Posted By: NeverHappy Re: Universal player - 04/24/05 03:35 PM
In reply to:

Just don't go overboard or we'll ask you to submit hard evidence.

I actually resent the tone of your post a little but I'm honestly going to let most of it go............but, considering my post dealt with the 2900 and nothing else there is no need for me to submit evidence and more then enough people will post in this thread with similar views.

If the fact that I own an audio cable company in some way makes what I say questionable (to you anyway) you can search the net and read all the reviews from not only owners but third party reviewers. Apparently tangible differences are a hot commodity these days. Who would a thunk!
Posted By: thyname Re: Universal player - 04/25/05 02:23 AM
Before I purchased my Rotel RCD-1072 CD player I had one of those Sony universal cd/dvd/SACD players I purchased for usd 129 at jr.com. I can tell you that the difference in redbook CDs were huge!! I can hardly tell the difference between SACD layer of a SACD in my Sony with the regular CD layer played in my Rotel. However the difference in cost is huge as well (Msrp for RCD-1072 is USD 700)
Posted By: mcs Re: Universal player - 04/25/05 02:27 AM
I am by no means an audiophile or videophile. In fact, I am just putting together my first entertainment system of substance. I plan on a Denon AVR 3805 and axiom all the way around. Regarding the DVD/CD player I have had a harder time deciding. I had planned on sticking with Denon. However, someone mentioned that the "upconversion" to a HD format is worthwhile. Although I wonder how much difference it makes since the origional media is not HD. But here is the source of my quandry. A samsung of all things. The DVD HD941 has several interesting features.
1. Faroudja DCDi
2. SACD, DVD audio, plus all other expected formats
3. Upconverion of DVD to HD(with noted qualifiers)
4. Street price of $240

The only feature that I might wish for is the 5 disk changer.
Of course, I wonder how the video and audio quality really compare.
I'd love to hear any thoughts about this....or any ideas of which universal dvd really has it all including quality.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Universal player - 04/25/05 03:52 AM
Here is another player you might want to check out. It's the OppoDigital OPDV971H. It's introductory price is $199.00. It got a score of 94 on the Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity DVD Benchmark Test which is second only to the $3500 MSRP Denon 5910 (the score only pertains to the DVI output). Not bad for a $200 DVD player. The results for all players can be found here. The list is long so it may take a while for the page to load.

The DVI video board in the player houses the Genesis FLI-2310 video processing chip, and offers the standard upscaling resolutions of 480p, 720p and 1080i. It features DCDi by Faroudja. The DVI output is not HDCP compliant, so consumers with older DVI monitors that don’t support HDCP are in luck! On top of that, the player is region free out of the box making it an excellent choice for fans of foreign cinema or foreign market DVDs. It does play DVD-A, but I don't think it plays SACD.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Universal player - 04/25/05 04:03 AM
But no SACD.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Universal player - 04/25/05 11:53 AM
Yeah, Ken. That's what I thought too. If it had SACD I'd be all over this puppy. But, I thought I'd mention it in case SACD wasn't important to mcs.
Posted By: ravi_singh Re: Universal player - 04/25/05 03:24 PM
i just bought the samsung HD 841

i'm very happy with it. it plays all important formats and the picture with DVI and 720p is very, very smooth.
Posted By: alan Re: Universal player - 04/26/05 02:13 PM
Hi,

I'm back. Yikes, well that post of mine certainly stimulated discussion. Perhaps "obsess" wasn't the best word choice, but I obsess over video differences as many of us do. What I was saying is that in terms of DVD picture quality, the differences between many good, inexpensive Universal and non-universal players (Sony, Toshiba, Samsung, V Inc., Panasonic), are a matter of nuances, sometimes only visible with test signals and not apparent with full-motion video.

It's also a question of adjectives. Using terms like "vastly better" is just silly with the current state of high-quality DVD playback. Yes, the Faroudja/Genesis chips ARE superior, but NOT "vastly" superior. If those nuances matter to you--and they do to me--then by all means spend the bucks on an expensive Universal model.

At the Toshiba prototype introduction of the original DVD format, which I attended, the term "vastly superior" would apply to comparisons of the DVD picture quality to existing VHS or Super VHS. But it's misleading to use such exaggeration to describe small improvements in DVD video playback quality.

Spending a lot will also get you better bass management and other video tweaks in a Universal player.

Regards,

Posted By: NeverHappy Re: Universal player - 04/26/05 08:47 PM
Hey Alan,

Ah heck, you know me, I seem to post after a few of your posts going "No darn it I think your wrong"...(sorry about that by the way)

It's all good. I was just trying to make the point that with a higher priced player, you do for the most part, get what you pay for.
Posted By: Seabear Re: Universal player - 04/27/05 01:41 AM
Boy did I get slapped!
But Alan, you are right, and I will happily admit that my enthiusiasm for my gear can get away from me sometimes.
"Vast" is a big difference, and there are not big differences between the players that I was speaking of.
But, there are differences, and they are differences that I am willing to pay for.
(The layer change is one of those, and until you have lived without it for some time, you may not have any idea how annoying it was in the first place!)
As to the audio side- I pointed out that the way I have my players set up is stilted (To My Ears) in favor of the 2900.
But I have taken the time to set the output levels to match, and put the same CD in both players, and gotten them perfectly synched, and done blind A/B comparisons, and the Denon always comes out in front.
Again, Denon- analog, Yamaha - digital.
So I guess I just like those Denon DACS, for whatever they are doing to the music.
Now gimmie a minute to go get my helmet...

Posted By: bugbitten Re: Universal player - 05/27/05 03:58 PM
Do I have to use 6 channel connections for DVD Audio?
I don't own a DVD Audio disc yet but I'm looking at Blue Man Group DVD Audio.
Integra 9.1 DPS to Denon 3805.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Universal player - 05/27/05 04:03 PM
Yes.
Posted By: hashts Re: Universal player - 05/27/05 06:45 PM
Hey guys,

Is it possible send DVDA/SACD signals out the digital connections (coax or toslink)? I assumed you could since the information is encoded digitally, simply more data.

Or is the only option to get the DVDA/SACD goodness is use a set of 6 analog cables?
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Universal player - 05/27/05 07:27 PM
I believe you have to use the 5.1 cables; the decoding of the DVDA/SACD digital stream takes place in the disk player. I do not believe there are receivers that will do that decoding based on a digital output from the player (in the same way they decode DD, DTS, etc.). I hope someone will correct me if that supposition is incorrect.
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: Universal player - 05/27/05 09:01 PM
Nope, the only 3 ways (that I'm aware of) to do multichannel are

1) The 6 analog connections
2) Using Pioneer's i.Link, but you need a Pio DVD and AVR
3) Using Denon Link
Posted By: bridgman Re: Universal player - 05/27/05 10:15 PM
>>Is it possible send DVDA/SACD signals out the digital connections (coax or toslink)? I assumed you could since the information is encoded digitally, simply more data.

As far as I know there is no technical reason why the information could not be sent out over the digital connection, just an agreement between the content providers and the player manufacturers that premium audio content (5.1 DVD-A and SACD) will not be sent out over a digital link unless that digital link is copy protected like DenonLink.

The feeling was that sending out an unprotected digital stream would make it too easy to rip off the content.

This whole content protection thing seems a bit misguided to me, and there are even wierder things going on in the video world. I assume anyone wanting to steal the content could just copy the disks anyways...
© Axiom Message Boards