Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Allan_A NAD or Yamaha -- Need Advice + Opinions - 04/30/05 04:03 PM
I have a chance for an equally good deal on a a Yamaha V2500 and a NAD T762. The NAD will cost me a slight bit more, but nothing significant.

So, price not being a factor...

Which way to go? Here are some more points...

M80's are the mains. Running 6.1
I like listening to Music not just HT
I prefer sound quality over features
I prefer natural clean power over colored/exagerated volume
I do not like noise
I do like oomph
I do not care much about "ease of use"
It is really sound quality that I'm looking for
I have no opportunity to A/B test each of them in my home with the M80's

WIth the above in mind, could some owners/users/testers please chime in with opinions?

TIA

AA

Posted By: bridgman Re: NAD or Yamaha -- Need Advice + Opinions - 04/30/05 04:37 PM
I don't have any direct experience with either of the two receivers but can make a couple of comments :

1. Both of them are very good in terms of all the attributes you listed -- clean, quiet, high quality sound.

2. I don't remember seeing posts from anyone running M80s with a Yamaha but there do seem to be some posts indicating that NADs are OK with the 4 ohm load.

Since you are running M80s I would lean to the NAD... and to the extent that you believe one receiver is "better for music" than another the gossip tends to slightly favour the NAD for music. I don't believe that last point personally (ie I expect the Yamaha and NAD would be pretty much indistinguishable) but none of us know for sure.
Posted By: badger98 Re: NAD or Yamaha -- Need Advice + Opinions - 05/03/05 07:31 PM
I can't speak for the Yamaha, but I have an NAD T752 and M60s/VP150. The NAD has plenty of power, lots of setup flexiblity, and good ease of use. I gave it a pretty thorough workout screening Star Wars Eps. I and II the other night, and it didn't even work up a sweat. There's plenty of headroom for music as well. The T762 should be similar, only with MORE power. I'd highly recommend the NAD.
Posted By: alan Re: NAD or Yamaha -- Need Advice + Opinions - 05/03/05 08:44 PM
Hi Allan_A,

The NAD will indeed drive the 4-ohm M80s, whereas most Yamahas tend to be iffy with 4-ohm loads. Two other brands that drive the 4-ohm M80s are Denon and Harman/Kardon.

H/K receivers are conservatively rated and tend to deliver more power than claimed. NAD is also conservative in terms of power output ratings.

Regards,
Posted By: thyname Re: NAD or Yamaha -- Need Advice + Opinions - 05/04/05 07:06 PM
Go with Rotel instead, you will never go back!!
Posted By: KC_Mike Re: NAD or Yamaha -- Need Advice + Opinions - 05/06/05 05:25 AM
I would go with the NAD. I have had the T752 for over a year now with no problems at all. I love the power and sound it delivers.

Somebody also suggested Rotel; which is also a good choice. When I searched for a receiver it came down to NAD and Rotel and I found them equals, but preferred the looks of the NAD.

Good luck!

© Axiom Message Boards