Axiom Home Page
Posted By: koiman DVD'S with lots of surround effects - 05/12/05 04:15 PM
Can someone give me a list of DVD's that have a lot of surround effects. I am having a problem trying to get the correct surround effects I've calibrated all the speakers but the surrounds just seem to sound weak when playing in DTS or DD when playing in 7.1 all is fine I'm running a Denon 3803 and a Denon 2900 DVD player. Any help would be appreciated.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: DVD'S with lots of surround effects - 05/12/05 04:22 PM
if the surrounds sound weak, then just go into your receiver menu, and boost their volume by a few dbs.. thats what i have done for my center channel.

but, to answer your question, you just want dvd's with good use of surrounds.

the incredibles
the 2nd harry potter movie(not sure of its actual title)
the opening rain scene from 'open range'
all of the 'lord of the rings' movies
underworld

thats a few i can think of with really great surround effects. i am sure you will get a few more suggestions.

bigjohn
Posted By: koiman Re: DVD'S with lots of surround effects - 05/12/05 04:28 PM
Big John,
I've boosted the surrounds and then when I listen to 7.1 the surrounds over power the fronts. The problem is only in DTS and DD there must be a way to just boost the DTS and DD single when playing just those formats.
Posted By: royce73 Re: DVD'S with lots of surround effects - 05/12/05 04:50 PM
Saving Private Ryan
The opening of Star Wars: ANH and AOTC
The battle scene in Gladiator when the guy swings the ball and chain around his head.
Terminator II & III
Blade I & II

Posted By: shag Re: DVD'S with lots of surround effects - 05/12/05 04:58 PM
Resident Evil - Apocalypse (Resident Evil 2)

This movie has awesome sounds effects. The church scene has the critters running around on the walls and you will hear the sounds do circles around you.
Posted By: alou Re: DVD'S with lots of surround effects - 05/12/05 05:02 PM
Master & Commander: the scenes in the Captain's quarters; you can usually hear the ship creaking, or someone on the upper deck walking. Pretty cool.
Posted By: RickF Re: DVD'S with lots of surround effects - 05/12/05 05:15 PM
In reply to:

Master and Commander

This is one cool movie, I really enjoyed it!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: DVD'S with lots of surround effects - 05/12/05 05:24 PM
I think something got a little screwy in the ubbcode there...
Posted By: RickF Re: DVD'S with lots of surround effects - 05/12/05 05:26 PM
I'm thinking you are right Ken...sheesh, I just noticed that, all is right with the world now. I think.

Hmmmm.

Posted By: Tharkun Re: DVD'S with lots of surround effects - 05/12/05 05:28 PM
Maybe its from running the 80s to loud.
Posted By: simboticus Re: DVD'S with lots of surround effects - 05/12/05 05:39 PM
You should get an HT set up DVD, like Chesky's, it will provide test tones to all channels to do level balancing.
Posted By: Wid Re: DVD'S with lots of surround effects - 05/12/05 05:42 PM

I think them M80s are doing something to ol BrotherBob .
Posted By: Tharkun Re: DVD'S with lots of surround effects - 05/12/05 05:46 PM
I was over at Lees for about five hours yestrerday and after agreeing with the QS8 issues, he may not invite be back.
Posted By: RickF Re: DVD'S with lots of surround effects - 05/12/05 05:46 PM
I really have a reasonable explaination...I have the day off from work today and my wife gave me the duty of cleaning the garage, thus far I haven't lifted a finger and I do know for a fact it's her way of reminding me that even though she's at work she still knows I haven't done a thing. It's just her way of reminding that I had something to do today.

Yea, that's what happened.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: DVD'S with lots of surround effects - 05/12/05 06:07 PM
are you guys talking about the ugly word that was there and is now gone..?

i was wondering what that was all about..?

i thought it didnt apply at the time.

bigjohn
Posted By: Wid Re: DVD'S with lots of surround effects - 05/12/05 06:11 PM

In reply to:

are you guys talking about the ugly word that was there and is now gone..?

Yeap

Posted By: Amie Re: DVD'S with lots of surround effects - 05/12/05 06:27 PM
Could also bring the fronts back to increase balance.

Alan and I did an interesting comparison between the DTS and DD versions of The Haunting, on the advice of someone else. Wild what a difference there was! You wonder if one version is for videophiles, and one for audiophiles . . .
Posted By: SirQuack Re: DVD'S with lots of surround effects - 05/12/05 09:14 PM
When you say 7.1 is ok, are you referring to playing music in 7.1, or watching DD and DTS in Prologic IIx mode or Widescreen modes?
I know on my 2805 depending on if I'm in Direct, Pure Direct, Standard, Dolby Digital, etc... The settings I adjust for the levels for each one is specific to that setting. So if I'm watching a Dolby Digital movie and I adjust the mains to say +8 dB's that setting will stay for movies. Later if I put a CD in Direct mode and check the same setting on my remote it may be at +5dB's or whatever I set it at. Are you hitting the large circle button on the remote to cycle through each channel to set your levels?

Posted By: AshBoomstick Re: DVD'S with lots of surround effects - 05/12/05 09:44 PM
Spider-Man2 is a good one for the surrounds too. but master and commander is one of the best, you'll be ducking cannonballs, i assure you!
Posted By: koiman Re: DVD'S with lots of surround effects - 05/12/05 10:56 PM
Randy,
You are the man thank you I was refering to 7.1 channel for music. When I went in to check the DTS/DD setting from the center button on the remote for some reason they were several DB low it must of happened because I don't lock my setting after adjustments.
Posted By: shag Re: DVD'S with lots of surround effects - 05/13/05 12:32 AM
Sounds effects aside, is Master & Commander a good movie? Then again, is getting it for the sound effects worth it all by itself?
Posted By: SirQuack Re: DVD'S with lots of surround effects - 05/13/05 12:40 AM
I can't believe it, I actually helped someone yippy I guess some of you guys are rubbing off on me...
Posted By: RickF Re: DVD'S with lots of surround effects - 05/13/05 01:10 AM
In reply to:

Sounds effects aside, is Master & Commander a good movie? Then again, is getting it for the sound effects worth it all by itself?

Can't speak for anybody else but I for one sure did enjoy the movie, and that was prior to me having the HT system in place. Now I can't wait to go get it again!
Posted By: bray Re: DVD'S with lots of surround effects - 05/13/05 01:15 AM
I had always heard that it had great audio, but was extremely boreing.
I guess I'll have to rent it and see for myself.
Posted By: smokey Re: DVD'S with lots of surround effects - 05/13/05 02:53 AM
try out hero,jurrasic park one and three.bourne identity the first one. black hawk down is a good one too. the lord of the rings extended editions are very good in 6.1es. any given sunday is good also. hope that helps.
Posted By: izub Re: DVD'S with lots of surround effects - 05/13/05 09:44 AM
It was a good story with great scenes in the Galapagos, but the sound alone is probably worth it. Russel Crowe is a great actor.
Posted By: alou Re: DVD'S with lots of surround effects - 05/13/05 01:56 PM
M & C was an "OK" movie...I'd give 3 1/2 stars. A little slow at times, but not bad overall. But the sound effects are worth the purchase price.
Posted By: smokey Re: DVD'S with lots of surround effects - 05/14/05 01:01 AM
master and commander was great if you needed something other then sleeping pills to fall asleep. talk about a boring show. there are lots of better war ship shows that don't make you wanna turn it off 30 minutes into it. try red october, das boot,pirates of the carrabian. midway isn't bad but i think its only in mono mabey its been redone.
Posted By: AshBoomstick Re: DVD'S with lots of surround effects - 05/14/05 01:27 AM
and McHale's Navy and Down Periscope too!!

nah, not really. But U-571 has got really good surround and LFE effects!

p.s.- Down Periscope (sadly?) is the most realistic submarine movie!
Posted By: Nat Re: DVD'S with lots of surround effects - 05/14/05 02:28 AM
"House of Flying Daggers" have nice sound and surround effects.
Posted By: smokey Re: DVD'S with lots of surround effects - 05/15/05 01:02 AM
the cinematograpy was good. but that show was dreadfull in all aspects. hero was good but it kinda had a decent story to follow. the house of the flying dragons just to much to handle. sound was good cinematography was very good but i mean if you can sit through it try it out if for nothing else the sound and cinematography which it one a award for at the oscars.
Posted By: michael_d Re: DVD'S with lots of surround effects - 05/15/05 05:49 PM
I just watched Assault on Precinct 13 last night. Pretty impressive effects. Saving Private Ryan has realistic sound effects from a combat perspective, Assault on Precinct 13 has it beat. Some pretty wicked explosions too.
Posted By: TNTguy Re: DVD'S with lots of surround effects - 06/29/05 01:40 AM
Just finished watching T2 in DTS. Wow! The volume on my sub was only at 30% volume and still the LFE was impressive. The nuclear blast scene was shaking the walls. Awesome. The surrounds were very active too. During the battle in the elevator you could hear the gunshots between the front channel and its corresponding surround. The echo from the small quarters was there too. Neat effects. The DTS track was powerful, clear, and detailed. I haven't compared the DTS track to the DD track but that would make for an interesting comparison. The DTS is top notch, could the DD match it? Man I can't wait to watch something else.
Posted By: bridgman Re: DVD'S with lots of surround effects - 06/29/05 03:51 AM
Resident Evil 2 sure has a lot of sound coming out of the surround channels. First time I have had a moment of concern about blowing up the little QS speakers... although of course their power rating is huge and I wasn't anywhere near clipping the 630.

I wouldn't call them surround effects in that there isn't a lot of MOVING sound, but there sure are a lot of noises coming from beside/behind you.
© Axiom Message Boards