Axiom Home Page
Posted By: simboticus DVD Recorders -seeking buying advice - 05/12/05 05:37 PM
Hi All,

I'm looking into buying a DVD Recorder, stand alone type. I think I want one that has a built in hard drive, and is progressive scan capable. I'm not sure there are any other features that are must have, unless I hear otherwise from you all. I intend to use it primarily for converting 8mm tape home movies to DVD. And maybe downloading content stored on my Tivo box. I currently have a Pioneer Elite Dv-45A as my CD/DVD player. So I was thinking of getting a Pioneer DVD recorder becuse I've been happy with their products.

But I'd like to hear any other advice that is out there.

I want to get a stand alone type, so it will be simple enough for my wife to use. The internal PC types are more versatile, but more complicated, and I don't have a PC near my TV. I'll probably get a DVD burner in my PC later, to do more advanced editing. For now, I just want to dump all the video to DVD before the quality degrades too much.

Posted By: alou Re: DVD Recorders -seeking buying advice - 05/12/05 08:45 PM
Get one with at least an s-video input. And if you want to use it like a TiVo (pause, chase-play, etc.), I think you need to get one that supports the DVD-RAM format.

Some of the cheaper ones only have a composite input and do not support DVD-RAM. (The LG model has composite input on the rear, but s-vid and composite on the front panel. Go figure...)
© Axiom Message Boards