Axiom Home Page
Posted By: fxguru AV Receiver - 05/26/05 09:54 PM
I'm thinking of getting the Epic Grand Master Home Theater. What av receiver would compliment this system the best? What are your opinions? I'm thinking of getting the Denon 2805 (100 watts per channel & 7.1)

fxguru
Posted By: bray Re: AV Receiver - 05/26/05 10:00 PM
I have the 2805 with my M60s (QS8s/VP100 also) in a rather large room and it does very well.
Posted By: bugbitten Re: AV Receiver - 05/26/05 10:50 PM
You'll be happy with that choice. Check Denon's site for etailor and refurbed dealers. Bought my 3805 refurbed for 699.
Posted By: JohnK Re: AV Receiver - 05/27/05 01:52 AM
Fx, welcome. There's really no need to be concerned about whether a receiver would "compliment" a speaker system. Obviously it should have enough amp channels for the number of speakers and a reasonable amount of power, but this is widely available at low cost these days. The 2805 should be an excellent choice.
Posted By: BrenR Re: AV Receiver - 05/27/05 03:33 AM
In reply to:

What av receiver would compliment this system the best?

The one with the best flattery. I'd assume "You're the best Grand Master system I've ever met" would be complimentary enough.

Seriously though... buy the features you want, make sure it's got enough power and don't worry about trying to match a receiver "sound" to your speakers. That's a throwback to a different time.

Bren R.
Posted By: bugbitten Re: AV Receiver - 05/27/05 04:27 AM
Alan says,

"I typically recommend between 80 and 110 watts per channel for most of our speakers used in medium to large living rooms, except for the M80ti's, which will indeed play cleanly at deafening levels when driven with a separate power amp of 200 to 400 watts per channel in huge rooms."

Look for features. There are Denons on Ubid now including the 885 (same as 2805) for 389.
Posted By: JohnK Re: AV Receiver - 05/27/05 04:39 AM
Actually, 985 is the same as 2805.
Posted By: Newf Re: AV Receiver - 05/27/05 01:54 PM
I'm looking into the 3805 myself to power the m80's.

Although, I need to hear it on the m80's first before buying and this is where my troubles begin. finding a place that can order it it, let me try before I buy isn't easy. I'm not sure if the Denon will have the sound I'm looking for as I am used to having seperates.

Contrary to what someone else stated, the amp can have as much to do with sound quality as your speakers do. Don't believe me? try taking various different amps home and try them on your speakers. Unless your deaf ( don't laugh as some people just can't hear), you should hear a difference between each brand easily.

Posted By: nickbuol Re: AV Receiver - 05/27/05 02:39 PM
I've never owned the Denon unit, but it is a popular unit around here.

Personally, I have a Pioneer Elite 54TX which I just love. Similar in price to the 2805. I did not do a side by side comparison, so I will leave that to you.

One thing that Alan from Axiom told me was that any receiver in that price range should be pretty good, and that it just comes down to features that you want/need. Good luck.

Posted By: SirQuack Re: AV Receiver - 05/27/05 02:40 PM
I have the 2805 with 60's 150 350 and 4 qs8's and the combination is deadly
Posted By: bugbitten Re: AV Receiver - 05/27/05 03:34 PM
I stand humbly corrected!
Posted By: bugbitten Re: AV Receiver - 05/27/05 03:35 PM
The 3805 powers 80s very well. I love the pure direct mode. Very high volumes possible with great clarity.

I am also considering an amp to drive them.
Posted By: fxguru Re: AV Receiver - 05/28/05 04:33 AM
Thanks for the responses guys. I think I'm gonna go with the 2805 - it looks good. A question about a refurb 3805 - is that ordered direct from Denon and does it still come with the same warantees? And is the condition the same? (no physical scratches or marks?)

fxguru
Posted By: bugbitten Re: AV Receiver - 05/28/05 04:47 AM
Refurbs come from one of Denon's approved etailors. Denon
I bought mine on Ubid. There are currently several models on Ubid.
My box said slight blemish on cover. Can't find it.
Refurbs have 90 day warranty.
Posted By: Lorenzo1000 Re: AV Receiver - 05/28/05 01:55 PM
Hi:
If you're not worried about the color of the receiver then you can look for a refurb avr-985 as well. It's the exact same receiver as the 2805 but it's silver and is supposed to be sold at more mass market stores so it's a usually a little cheaper.

© Axiom Message Boards