Axiom Home Page
Posted By: PsychoPete New Home Theater system - 06/01/05 07:24 PM
I'm nearing the completion of a new family room and have come in under budget. That means a new HT system to replace the Sony/ Bose system I own now. I've been lurking around these boards for a few months and I'm almost certain I'll purchase Axioms. I need some help on which ones. I'm leaning toward an HK AVR7300 to supply the power but I'm not sure on the speakers. The room is approx. 30x30x10. I originally decided on M22 fronts, QS8 surrounds, VP150 center and an EP350 sub. Now I'm wondering if I should ditch the M22's and go for the M60's. If I get the 60's will I still need a sub ? Suggestions Please.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: New Home Theater system - 06/01/05 07:36 PM
30x30x10 is a HUGE room.. you will most definitely need the M60's to fill that much space. and i think a sub is necesary to make any HT shine. if budget is a concern, i would maybe skip on the center channel for now to ensure you can get the 60's and a sub. the EP350 will work very well.. you might also want to look into some of the subs offered by SVS and HSU. you might be able to save a few bucks going that route.

the axiom speakers are great(which i am sure you have figured out if you have been lingering here a while). my room is 28x26x8, and i have the 60's, QS8's and a VP150, and i have more detailed sound then i could have even hoped for.

and the H/K 7300 is a MONSTER receiver. its a good one, but it could be overkill for what you need. you might want to see if there are a few cheaper receivers that will still have the wattage and features that you desire. thats another good way to pinch a few dollars.

we are here to help, so feel free to ask any more questions that you may have. and welcome to the board!!

bigjohn
Posted By: TNTguy Re: New Home Theater system - 06/01/05 07:37 PM
Other folks will chime in here but a couple of thoughts. That is a big room to fill. I think you really need to take a look at the 60s if not the 80s. How far back is the listening area? I don't think bookshelfs will cut it in that size of room. If you are looking for loud volume levels in that size of room, 80s would be the way to go. The HK 7300 is the flagship receiver in their line and is an excellent choice to pair with the 4ohm M80s if you choose to go that direction. You will need a sub for HT and probably a solid one in that size of room. For music listening a sub is not usually required with either the 60s or 80s, depending on specific listening tastes. I think the QS8s would be perfect for you. Just my $.02

Bigjohn beat me to it.
Posted By: rcvecc Re: New Home Theater system - 06/01/05 07:43 PM
thats quite a big room,i would shoot for floorstanders,and if the budget allows maybe even two subs .
Posted By: darren700 Re: New Home Theater system - 06/01/05 07:47 PM
hmm... im getting 60's 150 and qs8's (Have HSU STF-2 already) in a room thats 12x12x8 i could go smaller but then when i move out, i would want something better and biger for a bigger room....so 60's it is (im only 17)
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: New Home Theater system - 06/01/05 07:51 PM
Hiya Pete, welcome.

Another vote here for M60's with a decent sub (like the EP350, Hsu VTF-3, SVS PB12-ISD, etc.). I do not know how much you planned to spend on a HK-7300 (because such notions are so far beyond my reach), but if you are squeezed budgetarily, I'm sure that the remanufactured AVR-630 ($598) or AVR-7200 ($898) available directly from HK would also be excellent choices.

In no case would I consider foregoing either floorstanders or a good sub in a room that large.

If you're coming from Bose as a reference point, you're going to be absolutely blown away by just about any HK/Axiom combination.
Posted By: bigwill2 Re: New Home Theater system - 06/01/05 08:02 PM
When I was 17 I had a 10 year old Zenith record player/cassete deck/tuner with jumbo 2-way speakers. Actually, it wasn't too bad, but it can't compare to what you have.
So... have you invited any cheerleaders over to demo your system?
Posted By: PsychoPete Re: New Home Theater system - 06/01/05 08:05 PM
The listening area is about 13 feet from the front speakers. I do have a budget so I may have to cut back on the receiver to get the 60's and the sub . We are moving from a much smaller room and my wife says she needs to buy more furniture for a room this size. How can I convince her that M60's = furniture ?
Posted By: bugbitten Re: New Home Theater system - 06/01/05 08:07 PM
IMHO EPIC 80 500
Maybe even 600 sub.
You'll love axioms.
Posted By: darren700 Re: New Home Theater system - 06/01/05 08:08 PM
well, right now its just the stf-2, some 20 year old big ass floorstanders, and some shitty yamaha speakers...along with yamaha received,also a 19" generic tv....pathetic eh? but now that im working this is my plan: get all the axioms, (60's,150,qs8's) then get a projector, then new receiver...there goes all my spending money this year...lol so no, no cheerleaders yet
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: New Home Theater system - 06/01/05 08:16 PM
I gotta go long with BugBitten.

Put the $ into M80s and an EP500 and cut back on the receiver. Valuewise, it'll make a much bigger difference in sound quality to put more into the speakers and less into the receiver.
Posted By: PsychoPete Re: New Home Theater system - 06/01/05 08:48 PM
I can't afford the 80's and the EP500 so should I go with the 80's and the EP350 or the 60's and the EP500 ?
Posted By: bigjohn Re: New Home Theater system - 06/01/05 08:52 PM
i would do the 60's and the 500.

you need to seriously look at some of the subs from SVS and HSU. there is no question the EP500 is an awesome sub made by axiom.. but, if you have budget constraints, it makes sense to try and get the best bang or your buck.. the HSU STF-3 comes to mind.. the SVS PB-12+ comes to mind.

if you go with one of those, you just might have the budget for the M80's.

just trying to give you options. but, if it came down to it, i would get the 60/500 before the 80/350.. just my opinion.

bigjohn
Posted By: SirQuack Re: New Home Theater system - 06/01/05 09:17 PM
I agree with big john, heck I'm satisfied with my 60's and 350 combination...Randy

60's 150 350 4-qs8's
denon 2805
Posted By: bugbitten Re: New Home Theater system - 06/01/05 09:59 PM
The Epic 80 500 from Factory store is 2800. Some speakers will come sooner than others.
Posted By: bray Re: New Home Theater system - 06/01/05 10:19 PM
Another vote for the the M60s and a EP500. (or HSU or SVS)
As far as the wife goes, bring her into the process and let her pick the finish and grill color.
Posted By: MiniRock Re: New Home Theater system - 06/01/05 10:54 PM
I completely agree with the M60 EP500 combo to go along with the 7300. I know you're on a budget, but I wouldn't skimp on power. A room that size is going to require adequate power to push your speakers.

As for convincing your wife, just be honest and tell here it'll be a better movie watching experience for both of you. She'll be less likely to have a problem with it when she's enjoying a movie she likes in your new home theater. Also, be sure to do something nice for her (massage, day spa, etc.).
Posted By: Wid Re: New Home Theater system - 06/01/05 11:04 PM
If you could swing the M80,EP 500 through the FO that is the way I would go for a room of that size.You could also go with the HSU VTF 3 MK 2 and save $285 on a sub,that would pretty much make up the price difference of the M60s to the M80s.
Posted By: Newf Re: New Home Theater system - 06/02/05 12:14 AM
I was in a similar situation. WAnted the ep500, and the 80's, but the ep500 was priced too high for my blood.

Now, my room is nowhere near the size of yours, and the 60's would have been loud enough for mine, but I WANTED the 80's.

So, I looked around for another sub, and ended up with the hsu vtf-mkii and with the money I saved on it, I got the 80's. Couldn't be happier.

Even if you can't afford any sub right now, GET THE 80's. With a room like that you need them. At least the 60's. For music the 80's can almost get away without a sub even for someone like myself that likes a lot of bass.

GET THE 80's
Posted By: spiffnme Re: New Home Theater system - 06/02/05 12:18 AM
my own two cents...

M60ti mains
VP150 center
QS8 surrounds
Hsu VTF-3 MKII sub

Definately get the Axioms from the factory outlet, and you can call Hsu and see if they have any B-stock VTF-3's available. They often do, but don't advertise the fact.

The HK 7300 is a fine choice.
© Axiom Message Boards