Axiom Home Page
Posted By: cgolf TV varieties - 06/17/05 01:26 PM
I'm doing research but I'm also a big believer in benchmarking. I'm going to buy a TV and wonder if anyone can give me a short overview of the pros and cons-like 2-3 of each maybe of DLP, Plasma, LCD. There are probably others that I don't even know about. Is there a best practices site to go to and research them at one place? Thanks.
Posted By: thyname Re: TV varieties - 06/17/05 01:47 PM
I liked my Samsung 43" DLP a lot until the lamp started not to work at times. This was after 10 months of purchase. The vision would not turn on in the first try. Fortunately, I had purchased Circuit City protection plan and they came and replaced it for free. The technician told me that Samsung have come up with a new, improved lamp, since the original one was often defective. However, I felt scared, as I don't want this to happen again.

I have never owned LCDs or plasmas, but DLP seemed to have same quality, not a slick looks but close, and much better price. I have followed the market a bit, and found out that the DLPs are becoming more and more popular. Anyway, I guess, the worst that can happen with DLP is having to purchase a new lamp, which would probably cost in the region of USD 400. Correct me if I am wrong...
Posted By: Ajax Re: TV varieties - 06/17/05 03:21 PM
A new lamp for my 43" Samsung is $200.

Charles, CNET's Quick Guide to TV Types might get you started.
Posted By: cgolf Re: TV varieties - 06/17/05 03:41 PM
Thanks Jack. That article is very helpful. Creates many more questions. Gotta go look now!! Wife is out of town. should I go now or wait? Hmmmmm??? Do I ever want to eat again or??? haha
Posted By: thyname Re: TV varieties - 06/18/05 03:19 AM
Great to hear prices are down for DLP lamps, I did not pay any for changing mine (sometimes those protections policies from Circuit City are worth it). The price I had in mind was from more than a year ago. Have you changed yours already? If yes, after how long from purchase?

Cnet is a great starting place for reviews "what's new and sexy". I visit it often.
Posted By: Ajax Re: TV varieties - 06/18/05 03:48 AM
Coming up on two years and haven't changed it yet. Unfortunately, I bought a spare lamp back when they were about $100 more expensive than they are now. But, at least I've got one.
© Axiom Message Boards