Axiom Home Page
Posted By: thyname Logitech Harmony 880 Universal Remote - 07/01/05 04:17 PM
Has anybody seen or used a Logitech Harmony 880 Universal Remote? Has great features (function-based, color display, rechargeable batteries, etc) and awesome reviews. I am looking for one for my stereo system/TV/dvd player (I broke my samsung DLP remote a while ago) and this one seems to everything and fit the bill. It is programmed online through USB to a PC and you just type in your components... I never has such experience before, but surely sounds cool. It also recognizes Rotel I was told.

It is available for USD 250 from BestBuy or direct through Logitech site. I have seen it cheaper online, but they mostly don't have it in stock.
Posted By: bugbitten Re: Logitech Harmony 880 Universal Remote - 07/01/05 04:25 PM
Here's a great site for remotes.

Remote Central

Posted By: Ken.C Re: Logitech Harmony 880 Universal Remote - 07/01/05 04:46 PM
Haven't seen one, but I've been seriously thinking about one of the 6 series--probably the 680 at the moment. I didn't like the button layout on the 880. No one seems to have remote control layout figured out quite as well as TiVo. What's the most important button? The one you have to find the quickest? Pause.
Posted By: mikei Re: Logitech Harmony 880 Universal Remote - 07/01/05 05:32 PM
I would like to find a remote that would be able to do multiple steps at once. For example, I have to switch my tv mode from dvd, to sat/cable. Then I have to switch my receiver from dvd, to sat/cable.

I would like a remote to do both steps at once.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Logitech Harmony 880 Universal Remote - 07/01/05 05:37 PM
Oh Ray? Did someone say MX-700?
Posted By: bugbitten Re: Logitech Harmony 880 Universal Remote - 07/01/05 06:33 PM
I think the 880 does also.
Posted By: thyname Re: Logitech Harmony 880 Universal Remote - 07/01/05 06:48 PM
Yes, 880 does it too, it is function-based remote, for example, if you press "listen to music", it will turn receiver/preamp on, turn the CD player on and push play on cd player, that is three functions at the same time with the press of only one button. Again, this is only what I understand from reading.

Doug, thank you for the link, however it did not have any 880 for sale, but a great message board though. I posted something there right away.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Logitech Harmony 880 Universal Remote - 07/01/05 07:53 PM
As Jack points out, take a look at the MX-850, which is the replacement for the MX-700. If you can still find a 700, it's an excellent remote.

I have one of each and they are terrific.
Posted By: RickF Re: Logitech Harmony 880 Universal Remote - 07/01/05 08:03 PM
Skerdi, I bought an 880 about 3 weeks ago and must say that I really do like the remote. I also paid the full $249 price tag on it from BB, no biggie...I'm happy.

Posted By: thyname Re: Logitech Harmony 880 Universal Remote - 07/01/05 08:14 PM
Rick, great to hear from you! Great to be confirmed that 880 works in a Rotel setup, as you have RB1080/RC1070 just like I do. To enlighten us a bit: what does the remote do when you press "play CD" on it? I kinda assume the answer but I would appreciate to hear it from somebody who actually owns the remote.
Posted By: bugbitten Re: Logitech Harmony 880 Universal Remote - 07/01/05 08:15 PM
I remember reading something about BB getting first delivery of 880. September for the rest of their retailers and etailers.
Posted By: RickF Re: Logitech Harmony 880 Universal Remote - 07/01/05 08:30 PM
I actually have two Sony 300 disc MegaChangers daisy chained to be able to shuffle (or whatever else you may want to do) between the two units and thought this would become an issue with the Harmony remote but it was no big deal, the remote does what the Sony remotes did and with the same commands...neat as beans!

I'll give you an example with everything off from the jumpstart....

If I want to watch TV from there, I go to 'activities' and hit 'Watch TV'...the TV, reciever and set top box comes on with the TV and reciever going to the right imputs.

While watching TV I want to play cds I hit 'activities' and then 'play cds'...tv, set top box turns off and the cd players comes on while the reciever goes to the imput for playing cds.

And etc with the other activities, dvds, xm and mini-disc player....cool stuff!

I don't have the rc 1070 connected right now, that's later whenever the addition gets completed.

And BTW, with each of these different 'activities' you will still have all of the same commands for each piece of equipment from the 880 that you have with each of the original remotes.

Posted By: thyname Re: Logitech Harmony 880 Universal Remote - 07/02/05 03:59 AM
Great explaination Rick, thanks a lot... I want one, the question is would I run to BB and get one now, or wait until they become available cheaper online...
Posted By: thyname Re: Logitech Harmony 880 Universal Remote - 07/11/05 10:46 PM
I could not wait anymore: I was at BB today and I saw one Harmony 880 and I purchased it. They were not available for less at online stores yet, and I had no choice but to pay the full price from Best Buy (and taxes), I know I am crazy to through $250 for a remote. My fiance will not talk to me today and maybe tomorrow....

First impressions: quite easy setup, everything is online, I just entered brand and model of my components and chose activities such: Watch TV, Watch DVD, Watch DVD/SACD, Play CD. I thought that was it, but I was wrong... the remote did not seem to control the inputs in my Samsung DLP very well (would go to the wrong input). I called Logitech: no waiting at all, and the lady at the other line was so nice and patient, guiding me step by step. Great costumer service!! It seemed like I made a small mistake (component1 instead of component2 input) that messed up everything. Now everything works fine. Let me explain a little:

Activity: Watch TV: Press Activity - Watch TV...... The tv is on and at component1 to watch satellite tv.

Activity: Watch DVD/SACD: Press Activity - watch SACD/DVD in the remote....... automatically TV input switches to Video1, Rotel preamp and amp turn on, Rotel preamp inputs switches to AUX, my SACD/DVD player turns on and play is pressed.

Activity: Play CD, I press ACtivity - Play CD in my Harmony remote: The TV turns off, Rotel preamp input switches to CD and Rotel CD player presses Play..

Next Activity is "play DVD" for my HTIB... basically the same as above with the TV input switching automatically to S-video where my HTIB is plugged.

By the way, it looks awesome too!!! Now what do I do with my other remotes?!!
Posted By: richeydog Re: Logitech Harmony 880 Universal Remote - 07/11/05 11:03 PM
The 880 is very attractive.

Posted By: bugbitten Re: Logitech Harmony 880 Universal Remote - 07/11/05 11:45 PM
You've convinced me. BB later this week. Hope they'll have one.
Posted By: bugbitten Re: Logitech Harmony 880 Universal Remote - 07/14/05 01:35 AM
Didn't take me long. The family's going to love this. Easy to set up.

Retiring 4 remotes.
Posted By: thyname Re: Logitech Harmony 880 Universal Remote - 07/14/05 04:51 AM
You will enjoy it a lot, congratulations!!! Did you get it from BestBuy? Did you program it without any problem (without calling technical support)?

I am hooked to this remote, and very happy with its performance. I also uploaded color logos for 16 favorite channels now, I press activities-watch TV-media and they show up 8 in each of two pages. I can just press the corresponding buttons to select the channel I want. It is also cool to have the satellite box to go to my favorite channel after pressing watch tv button, it is like having a home page on internet explorer. I also found controling each device separately very convenient, especially satellite receiver.

Posted By: bugbitten Re: Logitech Harmony 880 Universal Remote - 07/14/05 02:15 PM
A Best Buy purchase. CCity said September.

Did all programing without help.

I just have the simplest setup right now. I have to get the wife and son used to it. The son has it after one use. Maybe catch the wife tonight for lessons.

© Axiom Message Boards