Axiom Home Page
Posted By: steves321 m80's, which receiver? - 07/04/05 05:12 PM
So I got myself some m80's. Love them. Right now they are power off of a Carver tfm-15, and ct-17 pre/pro combo. I love the sound of these things. So, I am also going to order the rest of the package which would be the qs8's and vp-150 center. I have a HSU st3-mk2 for the sub.

My question is this.

What receivers can handle the 4 ohm load? I was looking into the 3805, yammie 2500/4600, and hk 635. I'm not familiar with rotel or nad models.

These speakers are all going in a media room that is being built now. And the carver amps are staying in another section of the house for another set of speakers I have.

So, in the media room, I'd love to be able to get a receiver with the sound I am looking for. I do favor a brighter sound. This room will be used for %65 movies, the rest music/gaming on xbox. The room has a 110" screen/infocus pj.

We listen to pop/rock/top 40, rap, little country, alternative. I like really good bass ( hence the hsu) and good bright and clear highs. And that is where the confusion begins. I'm not too caught up in having 40,000 dsp modes when I know I'll only use maybe 2. I'm more interested in having a good sounding amp that sounds similar to my carver setup now. 2 zones would be nice as well. I do run my current system through a kenwood 7030 eq,and I always want an eq. So the new amp has to have a decent eq. Please don't tell me about room treatments, I know all about that. I still want a eq.

So, From what I am reading here, the hk is considered warm, so that rules the 635 out. Besides, I want something with more power although with hk's rep I am sure it would do fine power wise. 110-120watts min.

It seems most posts here say to avoid yamaha and pioneer. But audioholics members seem the think the bigger 2500 and newer 4600 handle the 4 ohm load just fine. Who do I believe?
Posted By: bridgman Re: m80's, which receiver? - 07/04/05 05:37 PM
>>the hk is considered warm

Do you mean "acoustically warm" or "thermally warm" ? I would agree that the HKs tend to run a bit hot (high bias current ?) but I don't think many would agree that the HK receivers colour the sound.

Don't know if anyone has had a chance to A/B a 630/635 vs. the equivalently priced Denon (is that a 2805 or 3805 ?) to see how they compare at high SPLs but my guess is that there would not be much difference between them (despite the power ratings).

Anyways, can you tell I own an HK ?
Posted By: steves321 Re: m80's, which receiver? - 07/04/05 06:20 PM
thanks

Just to add, everything I have read indicates that the hk series are warm sounding.
Posted By: NeverHappy Re: m80's, which receiver? - 07/04/05 06:29 PM
I would also agree that HK's are in fact "Warm". I have also attributed it to the high current design ever so slightly taming the natural highs that some speakers bring to the table.

I also find it funny that most who report that the HK's are not warm, have never heard one or taken the time to A/B against something else. HK, NAD, Marantz and a few others are what I would call "Warm". I strongly believe as I mentioned above that it has something to do with a high current design as every time I think something brings "Warmth" to the picture, it's always a high current unit.
Posted By: bugbitten Re: m80's, which receiver? - 07/04/05 07:23 PM
I have a 3805, but added three Outlaw Monos across the front. Luv em.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: m80's, which receiver? - 07/04/05 08:44 PM
According to Axiom, most Denon and HK AVR's will have no problems with 4ohm 80's. Can't comment on other brands..
Posted By: bridgman Re: m80's, which receiver? - 07/04/05 10:19 PM
>>I would also agree that HK's are in fact "Warm". I have also attributed it to the high current design ever so slightly taming the natural highs that some speakers bring to the table.

This comes down to the old "what is neutral ?" question. One of the things I like about HKs is that I do get the same kind of sound that I associate with a high quality, high wattage power amp. If you use a good power amp as a reference, I would not call the HKs warm by comparison.

When you say HK, NAD, Marantz sound warm, what are you using as the reference ?
Posted By: alan Re: m80's, which receiver? - 07/04/05 10:22 PM
Hi steves321,

The only brands of A/V receivers I recommend to drive the 4-ohm M80s (besides NAD) are Denon and H/K so long as you don't plan to use them in a huge room, in which case a separate power amp for the M80s would be essential. You could use the Carvers for the M80s and get a receiver for your other speakers if they are 8 or 6 ohms, which are easy to drive.

Yamahas, Onkyos, Pioneers and others typically use current limiting (with resultant reduced greatly reduced power output) into 4-ohm loads, although perhaps the most expensive Yamahas have more robust power supplies.

Keep in mind that H/K power output ratings are more conservative than many other brands, which tend to exaggerate power output specs.

Regards,
Posted By: craigsub Re: m80's, which receiver? - 07/04/05 10:50 PM
Alan - I was prepared to grab the NAD 773 receiver for our Epic 80 system, but was talked into the Arcam AVR-300.

Have you played with it at all ?
Posted By: michael_d Re: m80's, which receiver? - 07/05/05 12:01 AM
Steve,

It would be very helpful if you could indicate your budget restrictions. There’s many, many receiver / amp manufactures that will drive the 80’s just dandy, but many of them start out over $1500. For the under $1500 budget you will be limited to the brands Alan mentioned. Rotel is also quite capable, and you can find models under $1500 as well. Out of the four mentioned, Rotel has the best warrantee.

Posted By: thyname Re: m80's, which receiver? - 07/05/05 01:46 AM
Yes, I would strongly suggest you have a look at Rotel Receivers or even better Rotel separates.
Posted By: steves321 Re: m80's, which receiver? - 07/05/05 01:50 AM
thanks guys so far.

I'm looking to spend under 2 grand canadian.

Posted By: thyname Re: m80's, which receiver? - 07/05/05 02:10 AM
FYI, this is a Rotel Price List
Posted By: JohnK Re: m80's, which receiver? - 07/05/05 07:23 AM
Steve, welcome. The first point is to disregard any nonsense that you might have read elsewhere about HKs "sounding warm"; regardless of how often a myth is repeated, that doesn't make it true. In order for that to happen there would have to be a significant rise in frequency response somewhere in the upper bass/lower midrange area, and it simply doesn't exist. All of the receivers which you've mentioned will give you accurate reproduction; the sound will only be "warm" or "bright" if the material being played fits that description(or you make use of the bass or treble tone controls). All of the receivers you list have been used successfully with 4ohm speakers, depending as always on factors such as room size, listener's distance and average listening level chosen by the listener. Get the receiver with the features you want that fits your budget. In the rather unlikely case that more power was needed, you could consider adding a separate amplifier of 300 watts or more in the future to be fed from the pre-outs of the receiver.
Posted By: alan Re: m80's, which receiver? - 07/05/05 03:58 PM
Hi Craig,

I have no experience at all with Arcam, at least in terms of reviewing them or testing them. The brand seems to have a good reputation, mixed in with that kind of "high-endish" notion that if it's British, it must be better.

My own direct experience with some British electronics that we tested and reviewed when I was editor of Sound&Vision (Canada) has been quite the opposite but I am not suggesting that is the case with Arcam.

I have no idea whether the Arcam is spec'd to drive 4-ohm loads or whether it might have current-limiting that would limit its power output. For tests using the M80ti's, I'd much prefer using a known model of receiver that from past experience we know will drive the 4-ohm M80s without problems.

Regards,
Posted By: steves321 Re: m80's, which receiver? - 07/05/05 04:58 PM
I keep leaning towards the 3805. I just can't audition any of these anywhere as I live in a small town. I wish I could find a spot that would let me try like axiom did with the speakers. The free shipping and 30 day trial is what won me over with axiom. Basically it was risk free. Turns out I love the darn things too.

So much so, the long term plan is to get another set of 60's for another room. And the future bar area will get something as well, perhaps some small bookshelves in each corner.

Meantime, funds are getting really tight, and I need to get the qs8's/vp 150 + receiver first. I wish axiom would get those "electronics" done and start selling them

Posted By: michael_d Re: m80's, which receiver? - 07/05/05 06:19 PM
Steve,

Glad to hear you love your 80’s. They are dandy speakers.

With the money you have set aside, separates will be a stretch. My personal opinion is that they are not necessary, but if funds are available, separates are the way to go. Once you buy the amps, they will be last forever and you wouldn’t feel the need to upgrade. When new technology comes around, the pre/pro is all you would need to upgrade. Unless you don’t mind buying used electronics, you will not have enough money to go this route though.

That being said, $1500 US will go a long ways toward a good receiver. My list would include the NAD 773, HK 7300. I don’t much care for Denon. I think they are overpriced for what you get. In your price range, NAD and HK will most definitely drive those 80’s till the cows come home. They have massive current supplying amplifiers. There is no other brand that will match that…..until you go up in $$$$. I also wouldn’t let the THX badge weigh your choice. It’s overrated.

If you can pull together another $500 US, you could get yourself a good NAD or Rotel pre/pro, a 5 X 75 amp, and a 2 X 150 (NAD) or 2 X 200 (Rotel) amp for the mains.

Good luck….

Posted By: steves321 Re: m80's, which receiver? - 07/05/05 07:07 PM
does the nad 773 have any type of eq?
Posted By: ratpack Re: m80's, which receiver? - 07/05/05 09:40 PM
What electronics are you talking about?????

I have seen this mentioned several times on these boards only to have NO further description.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: m80's, which receiver? - 07/05/05 09:42 PM
Rumor has it Axiom is working on a non speaker electronic item. Perhaps an amp, pre-amp, or giant glowing tube that pulsates with the music!
Posted By: mrbooboy Re: m80's, which receiver? - 07/05/05 09:52 PM
Crutchfield is offering the 3805 for $999. With them, you get free shipping and a 30-day trial period. If you don't like it...send it back. No questions asked.

While I haven't returned an item to them recently, I have done so in the past and it was a pain-free process.
Posted By: Newf Re: m80's, which receiver? - 07/06/05 12:50 AM
just so you know...

I tried crutchfield already. They even have a 18 month deferal. But, they dont sell to canada anymore. Besides, sending something from us to canada means no warranty.

the original poster said Canadian money so I am assuming he's in Canada

Posted By: craigsub Re: m80's, which receiver? - 07/06/05 02:24 AM
Nope - Just great sonics ...
Posted By: NeverHappy Re: m80's, which receiver? - 07/06/05 02:55 PM
In reply to:

does the nad 773 have any type of eq?

Thankfully, no it doesn't.
Posted By: Newf Re: m80's, which receiver? - 07/06/05 06:14 PM
does it have an external loop so one can be added?
Posted By: NeverHappy Re: m80's, which receiver? - 07/06/05 07:58 PM
The 773 has plenty of inputs. Adding an EQ would not be a problem but why would you want to?
Posted By: Newf Re: m80's, which receiver? - 07/07/05 12:45 AM
call me old fashioned, but I always want an eq. You can tell me all about room treatment instead or whatever, but I love an good eq. Fact is, not one receiver or amp out of the box sounds they way I want it to in all situations or with all sources and types of music. So I want control for when I need it

Posted By: INANE Re: m80's, which receiver? - 07/07/05 03:00 AM
You need something that has a tape monitor type of interface. I was a big EQ fan till I got my HK and Axioms. I wasn't able to use mine and frankly I don't miss it anymore. I dont think most modern AVRs have a tape monitor anymore.
© Axiom Message Boards