Axiom Home Page
Posted By: sssutherland Where do you plug it in? - 07/23/05 01:50 AM

Posted By: sssutherland Re: Where do you plug it in? - 07/23/05 02:06 AM
I ask this because its interesting and because h/k recommends plugging directly into the wall socket and not any kind of extension cord which would include surge protectors.

Posted By: ratpack Re: Where do you plug it in? - 07/23/05 03:08 AM
I have looked into this for my HT. I have everything, including the tv cable input and phone line for the satellite system, connected to a Tripp Lite HTPOWERBAR10 surge suppressor. I have the surge suppressor connected to a Radian 1500 volt amp battery backup.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Where do you plug it in? - 07/23/05 03:37 AM
I voted Other, actually right now I'm going into a cheap Radio Shack power bar. My plan is to purchase a Belkin PureAV PF40 Line Conditioner/Surge asap. I know a lot of you think it is a scam, but I have a friend that has a PF30, and we have done some comparisons for both Audio and Video signals. We both felt that there was an improvment, especially in picture quality for front projection. OK, now all the Electrical guru's will jump in here and start slinging mud
Posted By: rcvecc Re: Where do you plug it in? - 07/23/05 03:56 AM
i say,if you buy it and you like it,then its worth it.
Posted By: thyname Re: Where do you plug it in? - 07/23/05 04:16 AM
I have Belkin PureAV Pf60 (top of the line), to tell you the truth I was only able to notice an improvement to the video of quality of my DLP tv, and not to the sound of my system. I actually felt the sound was refrained a bit, lacking that kind of "oomph" that I like to hear for my music. I experimented with unplugging and plugging gear, and found that it was my power amp to blame (Rotel RB-1080 200wpc). I voted "directly to the line", as it is where I plug my power amp. Everything else is in my PF60
Posted By: BruceH Re: Where do you plug it in? - 07/23/05 04:54 AM
My vote is direct into the wall outlet. However, I make this recommendation only after installing a whole-house surge suppressor. This type of product gets installed at the panel board. They retail for about $600 Cdn.
Posted By: MiniRock Re: Where do you plug it in? - 07/25/05 05:27 AM
Even though a surge protector will "protect" your gear, it will also "choke" your receiver and amp of the power it needs which is why HK (and other receiver and amp manufacturer's) recommend plugging their stuff directly into the wall.

I voted "other" because my amps, receiver, and sub are plugged into my AVS2000, but if I didn't have my voltage stabilizer, I would plug those directly into the wall.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Where do you plug it in? - 07/25/05 11:57 AM
My vote would also be to plug directly into the wall... but then I wouldn't have anywhere near enough outlets, so the $6.99 surge protector takes me from 2 outlets up to 6.

I guess the other option is receiver directly into the outlet then an octopus to power everything else. Guess that might be better...

Given that a big-ass sub and a big-ass receiver can both draw a LOT of power from the outlet, what do folks do when plugging the two in ? Same circuit minimizes the risk of ground loops but limits the amount of power you can get at peak...
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Where do you plug it in? - 07/25/05 05:25 PM
Anywhere she wants it.
Posted By: sssutherland Re: Where do you plug it in? - 07/25/05 09:13 PM
I was waiting for that. What took so long? ha Long!!
© Axiom Message Boards