Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Anonymous How does the VP150 compare? - 07/30/05 03:52 AM
Hey guys Im going to be buying a system that will be used a lot for movies and games so I need a stellar center.

Im wondering if anyone has heard the Onix rocket RSC200 center and the Axiom VP150. How does the Axiom compare?

Even if you have not how do you feel the VP150 is as a center?
Posted By: SirQuack Re: How does the VP150 compare? - 07/30/05 04:32 AM
I love my VP150, but I guess I really haven't compared it to other centers. I know it beats the hell out of my old Advent center. I believe Craigsub on this website may have used both of these centers. Maybe he will chime in?

good luck

Posted By: Anonymous Re: How does the VP150 compare? - 07/30/05 04:36 AM
Well if he has I hope he does. : )
Posted By: Ajax Re: How does the VP150 compare? - 07/30/05 05:36 AM
OY! I'm VERY uncomfortable with this. I have had both, and while the VP150 is a very good center, I prefer the RSC200. YMMV. Just to balance it out, I prefer the QS8s to the RSS300 surrounds. YMMV.

If you'll look at the final scores of the Audioholics Review of the Axiom Epic 80 system, you'll notice that the VP150 received the lowest score of any speaker in the system. BUT, an overall score of 4 1/4 out of a possible 5 should be considered a FINE score.
Posted By: NeverHappy Re: How does the VP150 compare? - 07/30/05 06:30 AM
I have had the VP150 and currently have the RSC200. I'm with Ajax, I prefer the RSC200 but if you can, try and audition both as they are two very different speakers. That way you can judge for yourself what works best for you.

Posted By: littleb Re: How does the VP150 compare? - 07/30/05 08:35 AM
I have the VP100. It is the best center channel I've had, of course everything else I've had in the past was throw away stuff. When I first listened to it dialogue became more understandable and it wasn't bad when it came to music either. I have never heard the VP150 or the RSC200, but I have heard a PSB 8C which I really like the sound of, even though it doesn't quite match the clarity of my VP100. I would say these are all good products, it just depends on your planned use and room dimensions. For a small room to medium sized room I might suggest that both the VP150 and the RSC200 are a bit of overkill. I understand though, that many HT buffs like overkill.
Posted By: ratpack Re: How does the VP150 compare? - 07/30/05 01:02 PM
Very current article (this month)!!!

The reviewer sounded impressed. Anyone know if he generally gives such good scores?? I haven't seen many (any?) bad rating on audioholics.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: How does the VP150 compare? - 07/30/05 03:09 PM
Zach:
I'm of the opinion that it's most important to have the same "sound" across the front, so the first question I would ask is what FR and FL speakers are you looking into...Rocket or Axiom?

I've never heard the Rocket. I've heard they make nice stuff but it has a very different sound than Axiom. You don't want a car moving across the screen sounding different when it's center screen than when it was on the left or right.

I don't think it's a matter of issues with the 150. I find the 150 works great for me, as others will attest also. Some just feel that it's not the "standout" in the line that the M60s, M80s and QS8s are.... that doesn't mean it won't meet all your needs just fine!
Posted By: F107plus5 Re: How does the VP150 compare? - 07/30/05 03:33 PM
I agree...the speakers should sound as close to identical as practical for HT

My Son; who also is a very involved gamer; insists that it is even more important for game playing as sounds are very active clues during the action!!
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: How does the VP150 compare? - 07/30/05 04:23 PM
Some games are great for finding if the tone of your speakers match. Almost more so than any test disk I've found.
Posted By: bugbitten Re: How does the VP150 compare? - 07/30/05 05:36 PM
I agree as well. You need to match across the front.

95% HT in this home. I have no problems with the 150.

Posted By: Ken.C Re: How does the VP150 compare? - 07/30/05 05:55 PM
I really like my VP100. I was suitably impressed with the VP150 I heard last week, but I wasn't doing critical listening to that. I was more paying attention to how to get SACD to go over DenonLink and how to calibrate the EP500...
Posted By: richeydog Re: How does the VP150 compare? - 07/30/05 06:07 PM
Alright Ken where were you last week! Inquiring minds want to know...
Posted By: Ken.C Re: How does the VP150 compare? - 07/30/05 06:30 PM
Y'all don't read very much, do you? I posted about it over in Technical Comments--about how to set up DenonLink 3 on a 3910, etc. Basically I was helping a friend tune up his 3910/3805/Epic 60 500 setup. If he's on the boards, I haven't figured out who he is yet.
Posted By: richeydog Re: How does the VP150 compare? - 07/30/05 06:52 PM
I was on vacation for two weeks so I must've missed that thread. Catching up on a 1000+ posts was not gonna happen...

I did a search and now the thread is read. Thanks.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: How does the VP150 compare? - 07/30/05 06:52 PM
Oh vacation. Suuuuure....
Posted By: richeydog Re: How does the VP150 compare? - 07/30/05 07:06 PM
Lousy excuse huh? A man's gotta travel the country, including Canada to see a few baseball games once a year to stay sane.
Posted By: richeydog Re: How does the VP150 compare? - 07/30/05 07:39 PM
Sorry for the offtopic reply's zach. Now back to our regular scheduled program.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: How does the VP150 compare? - 07/30/05 07:59 PM
I'm sorry, our regularly scheduled program has been cancelled. Back to off topics! Muah ha ha!
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: How does the VP150 compare? - 07/31/05 01:04 AM
Hi Zach,

I apologize if you have mentioned it in other threads, but can you tell us anything about the size or configuration of your room?

I have the VP100 and am very pleased with it.

I have heard the RSC200 and found it to be very capable.

However, for me, form factor is an issue. The Rocket center is enormous. Really. Huge. IMO, you would need a VERY large room to either take advantage of any sonic benefit or to make it appear in scale with its surroundings. It is also significantly more expensive.

Will you have tower main speakers (i.e. M60)? If you are considering bookshelves, you might be well served by simply using an additional M22 (or whatever) oriented vertically as a center channel.
© Axiom Message Boards