Axiom Home Page
do you think it supplies all the necessary tools to run either system? thanks
Some of the HK posse should jump in here, but it is my understanding that HK Specs are very moderately rated and true to spec, not like some who claim tons of watts per channel, but are not full bandwidth rated.

I'm pretty sure you would be fine, but we'll see what the others offer...
I'm running an AVR 320 (only 5 more watts per channel than the 310) with 60's/150/QS8's in a 21'x17'x8' room. It works very well. The 80's are more efficient and HKs don't have problems driving 4 ohm speakers so I imagine that you would be fine with this choice if you decide to go with the 80's.

If you have another receiver in mind carefully compare the features and see if there is anything you are missing with the HK.

Exactly what I am using. Not sure about the 80's but it drives the 60's very nicely. -17 to about -10 is as loud as I want to go. Sounds great. Very loud and very clean.
oz
i want to run a 7.1 setup and i know its a 5 channel receiver would it be a prob. i was looking to getting a hk 635 for an upgrade but just not quite yet.
The AVR 310 is a 5.1 reciever. It does have a pre out connection. So if you have a 2 ch amp or integrated amplifier that will hook up to it you could use the amp to drive your mains and the 5.1 reciever to run your center and surrounds. Personally I am only running a 5.1 system. I find it more than enough for me.
oz
The HK should have more than enough power to drive them nicely. Not 100% sure if the older HKs were as good with 4 ohm loads (M80s) as the new HK receivers, but I imagine they would be fine. Definitely no problem with M60s.

Might be worth giving Axiom a call to get their thoughts on the 4 ohm (M80) loads.
Scott, since the 310 is 5.1, you can't run your 7.1 system properly with it. Temporarily you could run the side and back surrounds in parallel, playing the side surround material, but for the full 7.1 benefits you'd need to replace the 310. The 635 would be an excellent choice.
i said F it and bought the hk 635 on ebay for $647.00 shipped. (refurbed of course). mid-week i should be ordering the epic 60 with the ep600 upgrade,FO of course and last my denon 2910 dvd player.
In a system with a subwoofer, the added bass of the m80s would be negligible. All the m80s have over the m60s at that point would be output. Considering the power output of the 310, you'll never push the m60s to their breaking point, so just go with the 60s and get a better sub.
I have the HK 630. It drives the M80's great although I will caution you to keep an eye on how hot your receiver runs. Make sure it has plenty of open space to breath. I actually keep an external fan on mine to keep it cooled.

Eventually I may go with a seperate amp to power the M80's, although I don't know when that will be.
© Axiom Message Boards