Axiom Home Page
Posted By: darren700 qs-8 grill colour - 08/28/05 09:55 PM
ok, im about the pull the trigger on a pair of qs-8's to finish my axiom system. but imo i think that the mansfeild beach with the black grills does not look very good... too black, is it possible that i could order them with light gold grills on the top and bottom and black on the front for no extra charge? do they acutally look as bad in person with black grills as they do in the pics ive seen? maybe ill just go all gold... but i would prefer to have at least the front black so it matches the rest of my speakers.... any advice?
Posted By: joninflorida Re: qs-8 grill colour - 08/28/05 10:06 PM
I really like the way the QS-8s look in beech/black, but it's a personal preference so to each their own. With you having beech/black already, I think it's a no-brainer, but thats up to you. I personaly think the black grills define the shape and style of the 8s with the contrast. give it some "lines" If you had gold grills, I would say "stay gold" I doubt you would be disappointed with the black, they look real good, I think Axiom would work with you if you felt otherwise. I find internet pics difficult - at best. I have them with my Martin Logans in maple/black, and they owe no apologies to speakers that cost many times ther price. Only you can best decide color.
Posted By: darren700 Re: qs-8 grill colour - 08/28/05 10:10 PM
hmm, well when i call to order ill see if i can get them with two diff colour grills for no charge, if not then i think ill go all black.. thanks for the input
Posted By: Ken.C Re: qs-8 grill colour - 08/28/05 10:17 PM
I like my QS4s in beech with the black grills. Of course, I hate the gold grills, so there you go.
Posted By: darren700 Re: qs-8 grill colour - 08/28/05 10:19 PM
have you seen the gold grills in person? if so why do you hate them so much?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: qs-8 grill colour - 08/29/05 12:27 AM
I haven't. I'm just not partial to the color. I'm not partial to the tan grills either. I guess I'm just a black grill kind of guy.
Posted By: RickF Re: qs-8 grill colour - 08/29/05 12:55 AM
In reply to:

I guess I'm just a black grill kind of guy.

You know what they say Ken, 'Once you go black, you'll never go back.'

I'm a black grill guy also, I think some of it is simply nothing more than being of the 'old school' camp.
Posted By: Newf Re: qs-8 grill colour - 08/29/05 01:49 AM
get some samples of the grills sent to you.

AS for me, me and the woman and just about everyone that's seen the axioms prefers no grills on any of them. I can't believe it. All my old speakers I had to fight with her to get the grills off, now she wants them off.
Posted By: bridgman Re: qs-8 grill colour - 08/29/05 01:57 AM
I have black grills on my QS8s -- if I was buying again I would go with the most unobtrusive grills possible (gold, tan, whatever) for tops and fronts. You want to notice the mains... but the room seems to look better if the surrounds fade into the background...
Posted By: F107plus5 Re: qs-8 grill colour - 08/29/05 02:09 AM
Yeah, we have black on all of our grills as well.

Partially cause My Wife insisted on it; and partially cause I agreed!
Posted By: darren700 Re: qs-8 grill colour - 08/29/05 02:29 AM
i asked and yes i would have had to pay extra for two diff colour grills, so i just got black, hopefully they look good
Posted By: BrenR Re: qs-8 grill colour - 08/29/05 05:52 PM
I have the gold grilles, and they're a bit cheesy looking (in my opinion, and I think almost all grilles look cheesy) but I leave the top and bottom grilles on to keep crap from falling on top of the driver, but I let the tweeters roam free as nature meant them to.

Bren R.
Posted By: darren700 Re: qs-8 grill colour - 08/29/05 09:12 PM
i think i actually might leave the top and bottom off and front on, cause there is nothing around them that could fall on them, depending on what it looks like i may even go completly naked...:D
Posted By: Capn_Pickard Re: qs-8 grill colour - 08/29/05 09:23 PM
I've got a set of Gold grills that I don't use (I went with white grills instead). I'll send them to you if you cover the cost of shipping.

They're very light, so shipping couldn't be that expensive. PM me if you're interested, and I'll fish them out of storage and ship them to you. That way, you can mix-match to your heart's content.
Posted By: darren700 Re: qs-8 grill colour - 08/31/05 12:25 AM
got my qs-8's today, love em, i cant mount to wall though, as there are no studs (outside wall) so i will go without grills on top and bottom...
Posted By: darren700 Re: qs-8 grill colour - 08/31/05 01:21 AM
i think im gonna build my own stand for them, kinda like the fms qs with fenceposts to match my etertainment unit, should turn out pretty good... ill be sure to post pics of the finish product
Posted By: SirQuack Re: qs-8 grill colour - 09/02/05 03:05 AM
4 Qs8's in my basement HT and mounted from the ceiling about 8" down. Mansfield Beech with Black grills looks cool in my opinion.

© Axiom Message Boards