Axiom Home Page
Posted By: thyname My HT starts today!!! - 09/01/05 06:53 PM
I did something bad today. I was thinking of building a HT in a year or so, once I purchase my own house. However, today I got a deal I could not pass up from my Rotel dealer. I visit the store once in a while to be up-to-date with what they have there, and I saw that they had a great deal on 1056: USD 999 brand new (silver)!!! msrp on it is 1300, and you may probably know that Rotel does not discount a lot. I just bought it!!! I have to deal with my fiance once she comes back from work , I know she will give me hell, and I may probably need to return it. I am afraid when this moment comes, since she is soooo against this purchase now (we had actually agreed on the purchase AFTER we get the new home). I thought it is better to ask for forgiveness rather than permission, as I know it would not work with the latter. How will I deal with it this afternoon?!!.....

Anyway, if I keep it I will match it with Axiom QS8 surrounds and VP150 center, and probably a HSU VTF-3 sub. What do you guys think?
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: My HT starts today!!! - 09/01/05 07:05 PM
In reply to:

I thought it is better to ask for forgiveness rather than permission

Ah yes... that has gotten me many things including a lot of grief .

Good luck in your conversation with your bitter, er better half. For what it's worth tell her that The Axiom Board thinks it's a very good choice. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
Posted By: WhatFurrer Re: My HT starts today!!! - 09/01/05 07:07 PM
"But it was ON SALE..."

Works for them most of the time...

WhatFurrer
Posted By: michael_d Re: My HT starts today!!! - 09/01/05 08:42 PM
I’ve found that in these situations, a nice dinner and bottle of wine waiting for the honey when she gets home, followed by a hot bath with candles will help immensely. Rose peddles floating in the tub might be a bit much, but worth the effort even if she thinks you over did it, she’ll still appreciate the gesture. She’ll know something’s up, but it’ll definitely be worth a couple points.
Posted By: thyname Re: My HT starts today!!! - 09/02/05 04:01 AM
Unfortunately things did not go very well tonight with my fiance, I cannot have a home theater now. It sucks, but there is nothing I can do. I have to return the Rotel receiver, and wait until we get our own home before buying anything (most likely next February, March or April). I know she is right, and I had promised to wait until then in the first place. But you guys know, when we have this bug.... have the money burning in the pocket, and we get a good deal on price.... we cannot wait!!

However, I am thinking of keeping it (I have not open the box, it is still sealed) and store it in a closet. I think that the deal I got was awesome, and I would not get a better one in a few months. But still, what if Rotel comes up with a new more advanced version of RSX-1056 later? What do you guys think - keep it or return it?

DAMN IT!!!!!!!!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: My HT starts today!!! - 09/02/05 04:07 AM
Well, at least SOMEONE has priorities straight! j/k, but it does sucks when -- try as you might -- your significant other is just right. I know where you are. Get the house first. I am in the process of searching for a house and know you need all the cash you can get your hands on.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: My HT starts today!!! - 09/02/05 04:27 AM
Me? I'd much rather have a house than a receiver. Some other deal will come along.
Posted By: 500 Re: My HT starts today!!! - 09/02/05 04:29 AM
she better not come home w/any expensive shoes, coats or lui viton hand bags any time soon if she makes you return it. Women?????? sorry dude but i'm in my "i hate women mode" currantly as the lady friend has been busting my chops the last few days. next thing you know they will ask us to give up BEER to save money..........
Posted By: pmbuko Re: My HT starts today!!! - 09/02/05 04:32 AM
now that's constructive
Posted By: bridgman Re: My HT starts today!!! - 09/02/05 05:02 AM
Sorry to hear this, even if it is the right thing to do

If you are not going to be using it, definitely return it. Electronics keep getting better so at least an equally good deal should be available in the future.
Posted By: Ajax Re: My HT starts today!!! - 09/02/05 01:28 PM
Have you tried "Honey, would you rather part with $1000 now, or $1300 next spring"? While I agree, the house should come first, 300 bucks is 300 bucks, and that's $300 more you can spend on things for the house.
Posted By: craigsub Re: My HT starts today!!! - 09/02/05 01:31 PM
A note on this: Jack IS single ...
Posted By: Ajax Re: My HT starts today!!! - 09/02/05 01:45 PM
I wasn't going to mention that fact, but you had to go and shoot your big mouth off. Sheesh!

Hey! It's common knowledge that if you want to know how to handle marriage ask a single person. Same as if you want to know how to raise children, ask someone who has never had any. WOW! I'm a walking, talking, living expert!

Hijack warning!

I got to thinking about Thyname's dilemma, and it got me wondering how married folks handle money. It seems to me that some agreement is necessary so that each partner cannot frivolously deplete the checking account. But, on the other hand, each should be able to spend some money on themselves without having to ask permission or fear retribution if they indulge themselves. How do you married folks handle this? Craig, you should be an expert on the "indulging" part.

Posted By: littleb Re: My HT starts today!!! - 09/02/05 01:53 PM
I just announce that I need to buy somethin' and duck. If she's still talking to me 10 minutes later, I know there is a chance I will be alive in 20. Once I waken from the severe beating, I know I will have to wait a couple weeks before I bring up the subject again. Oh no, I let the cat out of the bag.
Posted By: craigsub Re: My HT starts today!!! - 09/02/05 01:54 PM
Jack, getting sort of serious here: We have always had a set pattern regarding how much money we will put into savings each month. After that, we play.

Today, we save appx. 1/2 of our after tax income each month. Then we indulge.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: My HT starts today!!! - 09/02/05 01:59 PM
We have a joint account, and personal accounts. A fixed amount goes into our personal accounts every month. We get to do with that what we want. Avoids a lot of arguments.
Posted By: Ajax Re: My HT starts today!!! - 09/02/05 02:10 PM
Thanks Craig. My question WAS serious. For someone who has never been married (and has never had much money), I have always wondered how people make relationships and money work.

It has been my experience that human relations, romantic, friendly, or business, be they male/female, male/male, female/female, can be very difficult. It's a skill which I, apparently, never mastered. I have profound respect for those who have. And, I am interested in how people make it work.
Posted By: Ajax Re: My HT starts today!!! - 09/02/05 02:12 PM
Ken, without knowing the tiny details ( I don't wanna know), that sounds like a GREAT way to do it. You work together, but maintain a degree of autonomy. Cool!
Posted By: thyname Re: My HT starts today!!! - 09/02/05 03:32 PM
Thank you guys for all the support! I actually paid for the receiver from my own personal account (not the joint one) with no worries for the down payment for the house. I had saved also for the rest already (center, surrounds and a sub). This whole thing is a question of asking permission and doing something other than what was agreed up (buying an HT jointly AFTER the house). I always keep my promises, but it was hard to pass up that deal. I am pretty sure that I won't be able to get a better price for RSX-1056 down the road, in 6-7 months. Its msrp has been the same during that one year + that I have been following Rotel prices. I don't know other people's experiences, but I have been able to only get 10% or less off my other Rotels. And this one is more than 20% off!! Other Rotel owners may jump in for some opinions (where are both Ricks???) My worries are that Rotel will come up with its new version that may include better features, such as HDMI capabilities, different DACs, more power, and so forth. I am buying Rotel however, despite some great features that other brands' offerings, such as Yamaha RX-V4600 (whom my dealer proudly showed me).

Again my friends, should my receiver be at dealer's or at my closet for the next 6 months???
Posted By: craigsub Re: My HT starts today!!! - 09/02/05 03:50 PM
Thyname - I don't know if this will help your long term situation, but I am testing an Acram AVR-300 ($2200) ... It will get a serious workover in our M80 system in October to December, then sold as a review piece. The price at that time will be $1300, and this unit is AMAZING.

As the guys said, there will be other deals...
Posted By: RickF Re: My HT starts today!!! - 09/02/05 04:17 PM
'(where are both Ricks???)'

I'm here, my 'other' brother Rick better be working today.

Skerdi, I've been looking at the 1095* and the RSP-1098 quite hard and I can't find them a penny less than what the MSRP is. The Rotel dealers won't budge an inch, 20% off is quite a heck of a good deal... now tell me again, just how bad do you *really* want to get married? JUST KIDDING!

Like everybody else has previously mentioned, other good deals will come along and who knows what technical advances may happen along between now and then. Your young, in due time you'll have your house chock full of A/V gear that most could only dream about!

*Unless this critter or the not-yet-out digital 7 ch 500 wpc turns out as good as everybody is saying they will be.
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: My HT starts today!!! - 09/02/05 04:28 PM
Just a few Friday afternoon thoughts:

If you have to lie to keep it, don't.

Believe me; today's "hot electronics deal" quickly fades as the months go by.

My third and final pointless thought escapes me.
Posted By: Foghorn Re: My HT starts today!!! - 09/02/05 04:32 PM
"How do you married folks handle this?"

She works and gets her check, I work and get my check. The negotiating/compromising part came in 2 phases:

1) Putting away money for retirement/college

2) Paying Bills

So we discussed it and figured out a way to put 25% of our gross (before tax) income into a combination of before and after tax accounts. Then we divided up the bills in a way that would roughly leave us each about the same amount of money... so once you pay the bills that you have agreed to pay you can do whatever you want with your money.

The key is having the right spouse who is reasonable about these things. If you start with that you can work out the details.
Posted By: thyname Re: My HT starts today!!! - 09/02/05 04:59 PM
Hi Rick, nice to hear from you! None of the other Rotel pieces in the store was in sale. Only RSX-1056, as a special promotion they were running and advertizing in a paper, together with some other stuff (plazma TVs). However, I could be able to get every Rotel 10% on September 14 during a private sale event they do twice a year (for which I already got invitation).

And no, I would not be lying about keeping it in a closet. My fiance agreed with it, as long as I don't purchase the rest right now (2 QS8s, VP150 and HSU VTF-3). But again, I would not use it during those 5-6-7 months.
Posted By: thyname Re: My HT starts today!!! - 09/02/05 06:40 PM
Well, end of story.... I just came back from returning my receiver. Dealer was happy that I did not open the box, it is still sealed. At least, they won't be loosing anything.

I could not deal with the issue anymore, having to think about it during a long working weekend (yes, I work weekends, both Sat and Sun). That's it...I figured out I can probably get another good deal in six months' time. I am very confident I can get 10% during next private sales event (they do it twice a year with invitations). Since I can only use a receiver in six months time, it is a matter of paying 1000 now vs. 1170 in six months. Plus I would have the space in the closet free, and no itch from having put to sleep a beautiful piece of equipment.

I feel very foolish for jumping up and cheering for something I cannot have. Sorry guys. Back home and listening to my great Rotel and Axiom stereo. Movies have to wait.
© Axiom Message Boards