Axiom Home Page
Posted By: bridgman Does anyone own a Sony 32HS420 CRT TV ? - 09/06/05 09:37 PM
32" direct view CRT... I'm about to buy one for my parents (their old set finally died after 20+ years), wondering if anyone could measure how deep a stand it needs ? The overall depth is 23-1/2", but normally the feet are a couple of inches in from the edge. The Sony stand is $350 CDN; there is a nice Ikea stand for $79 that looks fine except for being 22-1/2" deep rather than 23-1/2".

Thanks !
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Does anyone own a Sony 32HS420 CRT TV ? - 09/06/05 09:58 PM
You should be safe with that 1" difference. The bulge at the back that houses the CRT gun is bound to stick out at least 2" further than the base of the cabinet.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Does anyone own a Sony 32HS420 CRT TV ? - 09/08/05 02:43 AM
Yep... I found one in the Sony Store today; looks like there is about a 1 inch bulge above the base. Ikea here we come.

I went through the manual tonight and am starting to get ever more concerned about image quality watching SD tv. My parents have digital cable so I imagine the image quality will be fairly good (the cable box has S-video out so will use that), but my concern is with the de-interlacer (what Sony calls Digital Reality Creation, or DRC).

I'm used to running with adaptive de-interlacing on our PC graphics cards, where the deinterlacer dynamically switches between weave, bob and proprietary algorithms depending on the content.

The DRC controls seem to be pretty primitive by comparison -- the menus let you choose from "Interlaced", "Progressive", and "Cine-Motion". The manual just says that Interlaced is recommended for moving images, Progressive is recommended for static images, and Cine-Motion is recommended for movies.

There are two comments that I find really confusing in the manual :

1. "DRC creates a high resolution picture with 4x density, for high quality sources (eg. DVD, satellite)".

This comment implies that you would not want to use DRC for low quality sources, but there is no "Off" selection.

2. "Cine-Motion provides an optimized display by automatically detecting film content and applying a reverse 3:2 pulldown process. Moving pictures will appear clearer and more natural looking".

This is all well and good, but if you are in Cine-Motion mode and it does NOT detect film content, what mode does it run in ?

EDIT -- my assumption is that I would tell my parents to normally leave it in Interlaced mode and flip to CineMotion when watching a movie. Or, if lucky and CineMotion falls back to Interlaced when it does not detect film content, they just leave it in CineMotion and don't worry about it.

My parents are in their 80s so they aren't going to be constantly fiddling modes to get the best image; if they would get a better picture on average with a less fancy TV (eg. the non-HD 32FS120) then maybe that's what I should get.

I just figured that with my dad's eyes going he would probably need a bright image (deinterlacing helps there) and to be able to sit closer to the screen (deinterlacing REALLY helps there) -- my only concern is that there seems to be general agreement that you take a quality hit when watching SD on an HDTV... although this particular Sony (or maybe 4:3 HDTVs in general) seems to have the smallest quality hit.

There is also just a chance they will go for HDTV channels, in which case the HD unit is a no-brainer

Any ideas ? Anyone own a Sony with DRC ?

Thanks,
John
Posted By: BrenR Re: Does anyone own a Sony 32HS420 CRT TV ? - 09/08/05 06:12 AM
In reply to:

Cine-Motion provides an optimized display by automatically detecting film content and applying a reverse 3:2 pulldown process. Moving pictures will appear clearer and more natural looking

The way it detects "telecine" - movies shot on 24fps film (film is always progressive ) - and transfered to 30 fps interlaced is by the way the frames are interleaved in the interlaced fields... it makes my brain hurt to try to reason out what order they're put in, so whenever I need the info, I usually consult my cheat sheet about it... so how exactly it displays that, whether or not it undoes the telecine process ("cinetele" or 2:3 pull up as often known) and then displays the result in 24P... who knows? But that would give you a more film-like look.

24P is an odd thing... some people swear by it, it's got that dreamy quality (compare, say... your favorite TV show) and 30I looks a lot more "real and current" (compare: live hits on the news).

Hell, my parents are in their 60s (well, mom'll be there in October) and my dad can't tell the difference between composite RF and component.

Bren R.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Does anyone own a Sony 32HS420 CRT TV ? - 09/08/05 07:55 PM
So... Given that 90% of their viewing is going to be SD TV on digital cable (Artifacts 'R Us) I wussed out and bought the non-HD Sony instead (KV32FS120). It even came with a free stand; what more could one ask for.

Thanks !!

EDIT -- here's a bit of info I dug up on DRC modes. It all came off the Internet so use with caution :

1. Interlaced mode upconverts to 960i not 480p, in other words the image is still interlaced but has twice as many lines. I assume there is a >1 field delay because a simple line doubler would not be able to do this...

2. Progressive mode upconverts to 480p, seems to be a re-interleaving of two frames, not a line doubler, because they warn heavily about motion artifacts

3. Cine-motion is typical reverse 3-2 pulldown; still no idea whether it falls back to Progressive or Interlaced when film content is not detected. Since Cine-Motion runs 480p it would pretty much have to fall back to Progressive...
© Axiom Message Boards