Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Rebulx Spyder TV Calibration - 09/07/05 06:37 AM
Has anyone used a spyder tv colorimeter before. I am thinking about buying one and was wondering if it is worth the $$$.
Posted By: CooLJ92 Re: Spyder TV Calibration - 09/07/05 11:18 PM
I purchased it and it did a very good job in enhancing my color, tint and contrast. The brightness on my HDTV was a bit high when I compared it to AVIA. Now I can really see the various skin tones on DVD's and TV programs. I am now starting to calibrate my friends and family's TV's. They notice the difference too. I'd say it is worth the money.

jj
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Spyder TV Calibration - 09/07/05 11:30 PM
Products like this have been around for computer monitors for a while and definitely make a marked difference. I'd say go for it.

Here's a link for people wanting to know what it is:
http://www.datacolor.com/products_profis_datacolor_spydertv.shtml
Posted By: alan Re: Spyder TV Calibration - 09/08/05 01:54 PM
pmbuko,

Thanks for the link, but why is this company so coy about pricing information? Sites that do this drive me crazy. I clicked around and couldn't find any prices. How much is this colorimeter?

Regards,
Posted By: thyname Re: Spyder TV Calibration - 09/08/05 02:00 PM
Good question I was about to ask as well: how much those things cost? Is this the only good quality colorimeter around? I have never adjusted anything with my Samsung DLP in 1.5 years since I got it, but I really think can make it look better.
Posted By: WhatFurrer Re: Spyder TV Calibration - 09/08/05 02:02 PM
Alan,

After digging for it myself, I found the price: $269.

Dependant of how much it improves the display, may be a candidate for minimizing professional calibrator costs....

WhatFurrer
Posted By: alan Re: Spyder TV Calibration - 09/08/05 02:18 PM
WhatFurrer,

Thanks. The price seems reasonable by comparison to professional colorimeters, which are in the thousands.

I'll quizz a friend of mine who does pro calibrations--he also reviews HD sets--to see if he's heard of the Spyder and whether it's decent. The standard calibration fee charged by Imaging Science Foundation-certified technicians seems to be about $350US.

Regards,
Posted By: NeverHappy Re: Spyder TV Calibration - 09/08/05 02:20 PM
I must admit that I had never heard of this product before. It sounds interesting but it's a little pricey for me.

I have a good understanding of the service menu in my Toshiba HDTV and for the most part I can calibrate my set pretty darn good all on my own. Given that, what would this do for me?
© Axiom Message Boards