Axiom Home Page
Posted By: darren700 Outlaw ICBM - 09/14/05 06:47 PM
im just pondering... eventually when i buy a new receiver/pre pro and a 5 channel amp, would sticking a outlaw icbm inbetween these two be ideal? i know its not what its meant for, but wouldnt it be alot better than using the receiver's x-over? like i'd just set all the receiver ones to large?
Posted By: EddyZ Re: Outlaw ICBM - 09/14/05 07:46 PM
What's your receiver/pre-pro+amp budget? Outlaw's new 1070 receiver($900) and their 990 pre($1200?) have all the bass management built in. I suspect more and more products will have this as time goes by. I have heard SACD/DVD-A using an ICBM and it sounds great, and you could pick up a B stock unit for $199+shipping.
Posted By: darren700 Re: Outlaw ICBM - 09/14/05 07:50 PM
i was thinking either outlaw 1070, or like a denon 3805 refub which would cost like half that of the 1070, however does the 1070 have independant x-overs for each channel like the icbm?
Posted By: EddyZ Re: Outlaw ICBM - 09/14/05 08:35 PM
The 1070 gives users several options:

there's an analog crossover that's fixed at 80hz, and a quadruple digital x-over you can set each speaker differently(front L/R, Center, surrounds and sub...I think!)
http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/1070.html

Can someone fix this link?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Outlaw ICBM - 09/14/05 08:38 PM
http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/1070.html
Posted By: RickF Re: Outlaw ICBM - 09/14/05 08:38 PM
The ICBM was primarily intended as a bass management system for the universal DVD players that lacked sufficient bass management in the 5/6 channel direct mode while playing SACD's and DVD-A's.
This pretty much covers just about most of the universal players with the exception of some of the *much* more expensive units.

I've been told that if you have a processor/receiver with a good bass management the ICBM will not do anything different that the pro/receiver will do, and actually that incorporating an ICBM into the receiver (except direct mode on SACD/DVD-A's) will take away the speaker delay setting on your pro/receiver.

From the Outlaw site...

In reply to:

The ICBM Bass Management System for Digital Audio

The Outlaw Audio ICBM-1 is a sophisticated, audiophile-grade six-channel bass management system designed to be used with DVD-Audio or SACD players. $249

I've got one coming myself in a day or so and in a few days I'll let you know how I like it. I hear for the systems that don't have bass management and the universal players that lack bass management while playing SACD's and DVD-A's the thing is wonderful.

Posted By: thyname Re: Outlaw ICBM - 09/14/05 08:45 PM
Please keep us posted on your experience with ICBM Rick!
Posted By: RickF Re: Outlaw ICBM - 09/14/05 09:00 PM
I will Skerdi, I was told that the speaker delay would be an issue whenever it is incorporated with the overall system, but others are telling me that if I can hear a millisecond time difference with my own ears then I should be in the A/V business. I'm just going to play around with it and see.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Outlaw ICBM - 09/15/05 03:44 AM
No, Darren, using an ICBM wouldn't be "a lot better" in most circumstances. As Rick pointed out, the question is whether there's good bass management. Most receivers have it except for playing DVD-As/SACDs, which rely on the player for bass management. If you're going to do a lot with DVD-As/SACDs and don't have a player which applies good bass management to them, then an ICBM would be useful, otherwise it isn't essential.
Posted By: darren700 Re: Outlaw ICBM - 09/15/05 07:18 AM
well the main reason was that i wanted to set the x-overs accordingly for each of my speakers, if i get the 1070, i should be covered "Quadruple Crossover Control (Separate settings for Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R, Surround Back L/R)" however if i go with the denon 3805 i would have to deal with one x-over for the whole system (i think)
Posted By: JohnK Re: Outlaw ICBM - 09/15/05 07:31 AM
Right, but don't overestimate the value of different crossover settings. In most cases not involving very small speakers a uniform 80Hz setting gives very good results.
Posted By: bugbitten Re: Outlaw ICBM - 09/15/05 01:57 PM
I have a 3805 and am pleased with the 80 crossover setting I use. I have tinkered with 60 but settled on 80.

Posted By: darren700 Re: Outlaw ICBM - 09/15/05 04:36 PM
bugbitten can you set seperate x-overs for each channel as you would be able too with the outlaw?
Posted By: bridgman Re: Outlaw ICBM - 09/15/05 05:13 PM
I believe Denons only support a single crossover frequency used for all channels. HK receivers let you have a different freq for each speaker set; I don't know any other brands with that feature.
Posted By: darren700 Re: Outlaw ICBM - 09/15/05 05:51 PM
i was thinkin of goin hk, but not sure... then again,there might be someting new from both companies by the time i plan to buy a new receiver (feb-march 06)... gotta buy a car first
Posted By: bugbitten Re: Outlaw ICBM - 09/16/05 12:22 AM
One crossover on Denon 3805 as stated.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Outlaw ICBM - 09/16/05 12:54 AM
I haven't set up my main HT system in the new house yet, but I used an Outlaw ICBM between an Integra 7.1 Processor and the amps. With the Outlaw, you get bass management for SACD and DVD Audio which usually bypasses all the bass management processing in your receiver or processor. The ICBM is very clean, doesn't add (or subtract) anything audible, and allows you to tweak your system.

I set the fronts at 40Hz (Thiel CS3.6's) side surrounds were QS8s (80Hz) and back surrounds M2s (80 or 100Hz). Wasn't crazy about the M2s in the back surround positions, and think I'll swap them for a pair of Mission DS77s I have lying around.

I also like the stereo sub out from the Outlaw.
Posted By: craigsub Re: Outlaw ICBM - 09/16/05 12:59 AM
2x6 - Would you please post in the subwoofer test (EP-600) review ? KCarlile and Pmbuko think you are buried under my theater room ...
Posted By: bridgman Re: Outlaw ICBM - 09/16/05 01:10 AM
Isn't it kind of suspicious that Craig posted right after 2x6 allegedly posted ? You would think both posts came from the same person...

Hmmm.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Outlaw ICBM - 09/16/05 02:39 AM
Hello Boys!

I've been busy. Good to be back!

2x6
Posted By: RickF Re: Outlaw ICBM - 09/18/05 12:09 AM
In reply to:

I haven't set up my main HT system in the new house yet, but I used an Outlaw ICBM between an Integra 7.1 Processor and the amps. With the Outlaw, you get bass management for SACD and DVD Audio which usually bypasses all the bass management processing in your receiver or processor. The ICBM is very clean, doesn't add (or subtract) anything audible, and allows you to tweak your system.

2x6...I notice you have the ICBM between the amp and processor, whenever I suggested this over on the Outlaw site with my H/K receiver/Rotel amp I was told that the delay function of the receiver wouldn't work and was advised to use the ICBM for SACD/DVD-A use only and connect it between the universal DVD player and receiver.

Are you using the ICBM for SACD/DVD-A use only?

Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Outlaw ICBM - 09/18/05 02:50 AM
Hi Brother Bob

I used the ICBM for all sources. When I chatted on the Outlaw site before placing the ICBM between the Processor and amps, no one thought of the delay issue. My big HT system never sounded as good as my office system. I wonder if the ICBM was the reason. I always thought it was the room. Maybe when I set up the system this time, I'll put the ICBM in a more conventional location.
© Axiom Message Boards