Axiom Home Page
Posted By: BlueStater Thoughts on my HT (Long-winded) - 10/04/05 11:58 PM
I've had my Axiom/Denon system for 10 months now and I'm not sure I ever posted a review of any kind after say a month or 2 of tweaking and speaker shifting. You can see from my signature line what my system consists of. But now 10 months on I'm thinking less in terms of review than in terms of lessons learned on the way and the experience of a nice HT system.

My Dad listened to Classical and Jazz exclusively, except for an odd fascination with Crystal Gayle(sp.?) I never understood. When I was about 8, he build a kit tube amp and bought a pair of speakers from some obscure tiny company which disappeared long ago. I listened to my LP's (CD Players were just getting popular when I left for school) on his system when he wasn't around and always was blown away by the way they sounded when compared to my Radio Shack integrated Tuner/Cassette/Record player with cardboard speakers. I wanted something that sounded like that. I played bass in the local scene and eventually started doing live sound mixing. A few years of this skewed my view of what music should sound like. So when I got some disposable cash, I went and listened (at the area "big box" stores) to what was out there, I found that what they had fit my programmed ears perfectly. I came home with an HK AV-25 (Pro-Logic!), and a pair of gigantic DCM speakers. These things were 4 feet high and had 2 12" woofers (who cares about the other drivers when you have TWO 12" woofer per side!). It could make the house shake. I thought it sounded good, because they sounded like a club with a good PA. I added a pair of Bose 301's for surrounds at a garage sale and some center (couldn't tell you what it was) I picked up when Incredible Universe went belly-up and that was my stereo/ht system. I had it for years and always thought it sounded good.

Then, my Dad died. Mom gave me his old tube amp and speakers and preamp. I set it up in my office and WOW! It was like hearing different music. What is that sound in the middle of the Beatles Within Without You? Well, it's George counting off a change in a low whisper! Holy cow! Etcetera and so forth. So I started listening to music almost exclusively through this 10WPC amp in my office. That was the genesis of my current HT.

I actually started out thinking Acoustimass would be a place to start. I mean, they always sound so good in the big box stores with their little "circle of sound" setups, or so I thought. But being a geek, I started out on the internet instead. Good thing. I quickly went past Klipsch, Infinity, Bose, etc and found some of these other brands like Paradigm, RBH, B&W, and so on. I don't even remember what brought me into the Axiom website. So I read, and read, and read, and went to the few places locally that had some of these speakers for auditions. And read, and sweated, and read some more, and listened some more. Finally I pulled the trigger on the Axioms and the Denon. After recovering from fainting, I reassured myself that I had spent good money on returnable products. After all, my neighbor down the street had spent $3999 on a Bose AM system with the integrated receiver blah blah blah and I spent $1500 less, after FO and B-Stock for the Denon. According to nearly everybody out there that I could find my system should be pretty freakin' sweet. So...

I set up the system on arrival day (Denon came 3 weeks ahead). The out-of-box experience can never be overrated, btw. Threw everything into place. Nudge, tweak, nudge, etc. Took 2 weeks to really find the best place for the sub. For the last 7 or 8 months since I posted regularly I've been just listening. And of course eyeing the inevitable upgrades, but that's another story. And last weekend it all clicked in my head. I finally was hearing my sytem as a finished product instead of looking for little, I don't know, THINGS. There were 2 moments.

1) On Friday I loaded the entire "The Beach Boys: The Pet Sounds Session" boxed set into my changer, sat down with my drink, and never changed volume, opened my eyes to look (as if it helps) at the system critically, or cocked my head from side to side thinking I'm hearing something odd. I just enjoyed the music. The only thing that changed was the replenishment of my drink. It was a wonderful experience. I didn't even realize this change in my perception until the follwing day. And the following night...

2) We had an impromptu party. Now, I had been listening to movies in 5.1 and thoroughly enjoying them. Ducking when bullets flying over, hearing cannon balls fly over my head, etc. But on this night, it was the "Talking Heads: Stop Making Sense" DVD release. 5.1. At one point there was about 15 people dancing in the middle of my living room. And..it...was...L-O-U-D! And perfectly clear. Nobody complained it was too loud. No ear fatigue after a couple of
minutes or even half hour. When I finally made my way around and looked at the level on the Denon it was +8. I should have picked up my SPL meter but I didn't think of it. But it was like being in the front row of a concert. Wow.

I could go on about whether the mids are forward or recessed or bass extension or whatever, but I think the thing is that I really feel I got a heckuva deal when I picked up this system. I really enjoy it. I don't have to sit in my office with those nuclear-powered heat generators to hear good music. And I can listen to music or movies LOUD! Now, about those upgrades...

Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Thoughts on my HT (Long-winded) - 10/05/05 12:35 AM
Gosh, I'll bet a pair of M3's would sound sweet with that tube amp.

Nice writeup, Mark.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Thoughts on my HT (Long-winded) - 10/05/05 12:44 AM
Mark, I LOVED your dissertation. Well said, and well done!

To me, the telling comment in the whole thing was this:

In reply to:

On Friday I loaded the entire "The Beach Boys: The Pet Sounds Session" boxed set into my changer, sat down with my drink, and never changed volume, opened my eyes to look (as if it helps) at the system critically, or cocked my head from side to side thinking I'm hearing something odd. I just enjoyed the music. The only thing that changed was the replenishment of my drink. It was a wonderful experience.

If anyone has not listening in as relaxed a position as possible, with eyes closed, I heartily recommend it. When you stop listening to your system and find yourself listening to the music, you're as close to audio heaven as you're going to get.
Posted By: darren700 Re: Thoughts on my HT (Long-winded) - 10/05/05 12:55 AM
ill second that, i turn all the lights off so i dont try to localize the sound, and its pure audio bliss
Posted By: BlueStater Re: Thoughts on my HT (Long-winded) - 10/05/05 01:15 AM
Funny thing, Tom.

The first or second time I posted back in December I mentioned the tube amps and the first reply I received was "the M3's would sound great with those."
Posted By: Wid Re: Thoughts on my HT (Long-winded) - 10/05/05 01:20 AM
Vey good post for sure.I too do the lights off sitting back just relaxing when the music is on. I love to listen this way, heck at times I darn near fall asleep with the music playing really loud.The kids and wife tell me I get in " the zone "
Posted By: darren700 Re: Thoughts on my HT (Long-winded) - 10/05/05 01:32 AM
yeah that was happening too me last night, i was pounding it listenin to some hardcore punk (very harsh vocals)at like 98db and i was dozing off... but then again i do only get 6 hours of sleep a night... damn 10.5 hour days at work
Posted By: thyname Re: Thoughts on my HT (Long-winded) - 10/05/05 04:05 AM
Great post Mark! It reminds me a lot of my own feelings when I got my stereo. Now, waiting anxiouslyfor the good times for my HT...
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Thoughts on my HT (Long-winded) - 10/05/05 05:31 AM
Well said, Mark. Like everyone has mentioned the key is actually enjoying the music rather than the equipment. It's the music that got us into this hobby in the first place, right? Glad you could find something that makes you happy.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Thoughts on my HT (Long-winded) - 10/05/05 06:49 PM
Guys, work with me here.

Mark is not really going to be "happy" until he gets some M60 mains and M3's for that tube amp.

You know I'm only kidding. Savoring life's joyful moments is what matters. And I have more and better joyful moments thanks to my, um, M60's.
Posted By: ringmir Re: Thoughts on my HT (Long-winded) - 10/05/05 07:52 PM
Just to note... that's a great Talking Heads DVD. I highly suggest people check it out that haven't.
Posted By: BlueStater Re: Thoughts on my HT (Long-winded) - 10/05/05 08:53 PM
Tom -

My wife is going to despise you if she ever reads this and finds out that you are egging me on. I think M3's would be nice and I would like to hear them, but the speakers my Dad left me are pretty darn fantastic. Horn tweeter. 8" woofer. Kind of halfway between a small floorstander and a large bookshelf. They sit on these cool little stands my Dad found that are kind of a wood frame that tilts them back a little. But I really want to try those M3's. The M22's do sound really good with the tubes. It's not easy to say which sounds better because they sound different, both in a good way. The thing is I want speakers that I can put up on my desk (it's a 7' wide, 3 1/2' deep desk I got at a business fire sale) instead of behind me on the floor.

Andrew -

Stop Making Sense is one of my favorite movies, music or otherwise, of all time. I first saw it during it's original release in Salem, OR's only "art" cinema when I was about 15. I probably watch it a couple times a month it is always a staple when we have some people over and the girls want to dance. But there is NO way, I think, that the bass on the video wasn't tweaked/enhanced/dubbed during post-pro. At least that's what it seems like to me. No that I'm complaining! I love it when you can see drinks moving across a table from the vibration!
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Thoughts on my HT (Long-winded) - 10/05/05 09:08 PM
You know I was just muckraking.

"Mark's wife thinks I'm despicable" could be a fun, obscure, new sig line in that Daffy Duck kind of way.

I loved the Thompson Brewpub in Salem. And that brewery downtown (whatever it was called - had a great time seeing Lloyd Jones there). And Boon's Treasury, even before it became McMenamin's. I know, I know, take it to the beer thread...
Posted By: BlueStater Re: Thoughts on my HT (Long-winded) - 10/05/05 09:27 PM
Tom,

Probably the Willamette BrewPub downtown. Went belly-up years ago. I had my first, uh, legal beer at Thompson's with my Dad. I actually mixed FOH for a friend's band at Boon's about 3 months ago. Hadn't been there since it became a McDeadHead's.
© Axiom Message Boards