Axiom Home Page
Posted By: fillyv What to buy - 10/19/05 09:35 PM
Hi Im new here and I was wondering what setup I should buy. I have a Sony STR-DA2000es. What do you think would be the best match with that reciever?
Posted By: Ajax Re: What to buy - 10/19/05 10:20 PM
Hi fillyv, and welcome!

Your receiver probably would be adequate for any of Axiom's speakers. Factors to consider when deciding on which speakers to buy should include, among others:

Budget.
Size of the room (H x W X L).
Configuration of the room (i.e. do you have room for larger floorstanding speakers, or only for smaller bookshelves, etc.?
How far you will be sitting from the speakers.

Fill us in on these things, and we'll try to help as best we can.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: What to buy - 10/19/05 10:23 PM
Hello fillyv

I had a Sony STRDB1070 and have a Sony TA E9000ES processor, so although I haven't heard your receiver, I figure I can interpolate. My recommendation for Home Theater or 2 channel music would be the M60s. They are an easy 8 ohm load (Sonys are not fond of 4 ohm speakers), have terrific sound quality and should compliment the high end Sony ES sound.
Posted By: fillyv Re: What to buy - 10/19/05 10:46 PM
Cost is not a factor in this. I think the room is around 15x20. Im probably about 10 feet away from the tv and front speakers. I want the best sound possible. Im fairly picky when it comes to home theater things.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: What to buy - 10/19/05 10:59 PM
M60s up front, VP150 center, QS8 in side surround positions, EP500 subwoofer. That would be an amazingly good system!
Posted By: SirQuack Re: What to buy - 10/19/05 11:06 PM
Have you tried the Axiom Wizard at the top of the page?

http://www.axiomaudio.com/htw/htw.html
Posted By: Ajax Re: What to buy - 10/19/05 11:24 PM
In reply to:

Cost is not a factor in this. I think the room is around 15x20. Im probably about 10 feet away from the tv and front speakers. I want the best sound possible. Im fairly picky when it comes to home theater things.

Well then GET the best. Were it not for 2x6's caution that Sony's don't handle 4 ohm speakers that well, I'd say "get the M80s." But, you won't lose much with M60s. If fact, the system 2x6 recommends (M60s up front, VP150 center, QS8s in side surround positions, EP500 subwoofer) would be KILLER.

The only addendum I can offer would be another pair of QS8s or M22s if you're interested in going 7.1. Go with the QS8s if you're primarily into movies; go with the M22s if you're more interested in high resolution audio (SACD and DVD-A)
Posted By: Wegiz Re: What to buy - 10/20/05 12:32 AM
Oh Man, yes that would be a great system. That's my dream system. As soon as the budget cools down from finishing off the basement, and redoing the livingroom, thats the system I hope to get.

Btw Ajax, how do you quote other people's posts like that? I see it all the time, but have never figured it out myself.
Posted By: bridgman Re: What to buy - 10/20/05 12:49 AM
>>Btw Ajax, how do you quote other people's posts like that?

Good question. C'mon, enquiring minds want to know !!
Posted By: bugbitten Re: What to buy - 10/20/05 12:53 AM
I concur. But 80's would be nice.

Posted By: bugbitten Re: What to buy - 10/20/05 12:56 AM
(quote) text (/quote) = Surrounds the given text with blockquote and hr's. This UBBCode tag is used for quoting a reply.

Substitute [ for ( and ] for )

In reply to:

>>Btw Ajax, how do you quote other people's posts like that?

Posted By: Wid Re: What to buy - 10/20/05 12:58 AM

In reply to:

I concur.But 80's would be nice

Yeap, real nice .
Posted By: RickF Re: What to buy - 10/20/05 01:00 AM
In reply to:

Yea, just how in the heck do you do that Jack? I'm baffled.

I also concur, even regarding the '80s would be good' part!

Posted By: bridgman Re: What to buy - 10/20/05 01:18 AM
In reply to:

This is a test

Cool !!
Posted By: Wid Re: What to buy - 10/20/05 01:26 AM

Hey John got it .
Posted By: Wegiz Re: What to buy - 10/20/05 02:09 AM
In reply to:

Hey John got it.

Ahh, thanks much. I thought maybe there was just a button that you could push that would quote it for you (i.e. there's a reply button, and a reply with quote button). Some bbs systems I've used in the past would do that.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: What to buy - 10/20/05 04:21 AM
In reply to:

Ahh, thanks much. I thought maybe there was just a button that you could push that would quote it for you (i.e. there's a reply button, and a reply with quote button). Some bbs systems I've used in the past would do that.

The question is how many of us will actually use it now that we know how...
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: What to buy - 10/20/05 04:50 AM
I'm betting it will be especially useful for anyone approaching his 4,600th post.

Not that I really want to get back on topic or anything, but "Cost is not a factor" just hit me like Gallagher hits a watermelon. You don't see that too often.

I think, to dispense relevant opinions/advice, we would also need to know listening habits, musical preferences, and most importantly, frame of reference. If you are really "picky" about home theatre things, it is entirely possible that Axioms are not for you at all. Some people prefer a different type of speaker, and a number of people who I deeply respect have gone from Axiom to other brands. I think that progression is largely the exception rather than the rule, but knowing which speakers are your reference, or what models of speakers you have enjoyed in other auditions might help validate your Axiom purchase.
Posted By: sssutherland Re: What to buy - 10/20/05 05:20 AM
In reply to:

The question is how many of us will actually use it now that we know how...

Have always wondered how to do this myself,

Nice
Posted By: Ken.C Re: What to buy - 10/20/05 06:19 AM
In reply to:

I'm betting it will be especially useful for anyone approaching his 4,600th post.

I'm sure I don't know what you're talking about.

Besides, I'm aiming for 5000.
Posted By: drunkonjack Re: What to buy - 10/20/05 12:30 PM
Go as big as you can up front . And if Music is your main concern go with the best set of mains you can afford . If HT is your choice spend most on your three fronts and a good sub. Your rears can always be updated later.
Posted By: fillyv Re: What to buy - 10/20/05 09:58 PM
Well thanks for all the responses. I went with the VP150 center, M60ti floor speakers, QS8 Surrounds, and EP350 Sub. I think this is going to kick some ass!
© Axiom Message Boards