Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Tharkun W3 Pics & first sound check - 10/22/05 04:53 AM
A few quick pics of the W3

Whats this, the new M100 ?

Tried the W3s out for a short time, just connected them to the front M80 wires, used stereo mode, and they sound impressive so far, to late to really test them well.

Posted By: BlueStater Re: W3 Pics & first sound check - 10/22/05 05:44 AM
Those look nice. Where are you installing them? A secondary system or as surrounds? Can't wait to see pics of them installed.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: W3 Pics & first sound check - 10/22/05 05:50 AM
Those gorilla ports aren't puckered...what's the deal? That's a classic Axiom trademark!

Posted By: JohnK Re: W3 Pics & first sound check - 10/22/05 06:00 AM
Dennis, we were all wondering how you'd find a spot for those W3s. On top of the M80s? Brilliant!!
Posted By: Tharkun Re: W3 Pics & first sound check - 10/22/05 06:56 AM
Plan one was for the garage since I spend 6 -10 hours a week out there keeping the cars, trk, and motorcycle clean. Plan two was the master bedroom, and so far from the sound of the W3s, looks like bedroom wins.
Will be adding a Halo set for power, a T3 preamp and the A23 amp (125watts x 2), so nothing like the Halo power for the main system, but should work well for a two channel music system for the bedroom.
Posted By: Tharkun Re: W3 Pics & first sound check - 10/22/05 07:00 AM
The ports are actually a solid ABS like material (Amie,Alan ?)that extends six to seven inches into the enclosure.
Posted By: Tharkun Re: W3 Pics & first sound check - 10/22/05 07:06 AM
Was the easiest and the least amount of work to test them out using the Halos, even with the ports being on the top, still sound great. Will do better sound testing over the weekend hopefully, but they did fit rather well onto the 80s. lol
Posted By: alan Re: W3 Pics & first sound check - 10/22/05 04:08 PM
Hey Dennis, those are really nice looking! The W3s I audtioned in the summer were, uhm, you know, prototypes, flat black and unfinished MDF.

I don't recall anyone commenting on the lack of the puckered ports as we sat around the Axiom conference table.

Regards,
Posted By: bridgman Re: W3 Pics & first sound check - 10/22/05 04:23 PM
In the fourth picture Dennis posted (the one looking into the ports) there seems to be some definite pucker. It's just "internal pucker" rather than... well, you know what I mean.

Um... not to drag the thread off topic or anything, but... Dennis, what is the countertop and backsplash material we are looking at ? It looks wonderful and no I haven't finished my kitchen yet
Posted By: Tharkun Re: W3 Pics & first sound check - 10/22/05 04:38 PM
The countertops/backsplash is 12'' x 12" granite tile, cost here in the bay area is $12 ea. Going on 6 years of use, and not a problem with it. If you do use any granite tile, I recommend using a sealer on it, granite is not impervious to water, and water can leave marks that can not be removed, along with some fruits and so on.
Posted By: bray Re: W3 Pics & first sound check - 10/22/05 04:48 PM
"I don't recall anyone commenting on the lack of the puckered ports as we sat around the Axiom conference table."

bigjohn must not have been there.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: W3 Pics & first sound check - 10/22/05 06:14 PM
Those ports are small enough to keep John from getting his fingers/hand stuck in the cookie jar.
Posted By: snakeyes Re: W3 Pics & first sound check - 10/23/05 07:22 PM
i dont think it was his finger/hands were the problem.
Posted By: koiman Re: W3 Pics & first sound check - 10/23/05 08:33 PM
Dennis brought over his new W3 speakers, and we compared them to my M3ti and the M22ti. The W3 is a real clean sounding speaker, when comparing them I think they sound somewhere between the M3ti and the M22ti. Not quite as bassy as the M3ti's even though they sounded real good without a subwoofer, when adding a subwoofer they were heavenly. We compared them using a Cayin TA-30 35 Watt tube amp, a Foreplay III Tube pre amp, with a marantz MM9000 power SS 150 Watt / channel amp.
Posted By: bray Re: W3 Pics & first sound check - 10/23/05 09:50 PM
koiman
I vote... NO MORE TOYS or you!
Posted By: Wid Re: W3 Pics & first sound check - 10/24/05 12:07 AM
I second that vote .

I also vote the same for Dennis
Posted By: koiman Re: W3 Pics & first sound check - 10/24/05 01:42 AM
Bray & Wid,
I agree after buying my new Salk HT3 Veracity stereo speakers, I diffently have to stop for a while.
Lee

Posted By: Tharkun Re: W3 Pics & first sound check - 10/24/05 02:25 AM
Just wanted to mention that all of the sound testing at Lee's and at my house has been done with the speakers out of the wall. Axiom says these speakers are designed for in wall mounting, so take that into consideration when reading our statements as to the sound quality.
I picked up a cheapo CD player to use with an old Sony receiver, so this week I will get the W3s installed in the wall and set up
so I can give a more detailed report as to the sound quality, at this point to me, I'm very impressed and I will not be shipping them back.

Posted By: RickF Re: W3 Pics & first sound check - 10/24/05 11:53 AM
Lee those speakers are absolutely beautiful, the finish looks like a million bucks!

Between Dennis, Lee and all of their combined gear I do believe the whole audio/video spectrum ought to be *just* about covered.
Posted By: Tharkun Re: W3 Pics & first sound check - 10/25/05 03:25 AM
Today I found a decent price on a new Parasound Halo P3 picked it up for about $250 less than retail price. Still looking for a good price on a new Halo A 23 to finish the power system for the W3s. If any one happens across one, would appreciate a heads up.
Posted By: samandnoah Re: W3 Pics & first sound check - 10/25/05 01:46 PM
Have you checked Audiogon yet? And I'm not sure what you'd consider a good price for it, but here's one:

Halo A23

Rich
Posted By: Tharkun Re: W3 Pics & first sound check - 10/25/05 04:15 PM
Audiogon is where I found the new P3, a dealer in Nevada is closing out the Parasound line, so got a good price. Looking to find a new A 23 for $500-600.
Posted By: Tharkun Re: W3 Pics & first sound check - 10/27/05 11:24 PM
Thank you for the ones that sent private messages on the A 23, I ordered a new one, since most that show up on Audigon are used, and go for $500-600-- with shipping. By the end of next week should have the P3, A 23, and the Polk XM here, so hope to be able to connect things up next weekend.
In the next few days will be installing the W3s and will post some pics on how it goes.

Posted By: Tharkun Re: W3 Pics & first sound check - 11/01/05 11:50 PM
Just picked up the P3, rest of the stuff will be here tomorrow.
Posted By: bridgman Re: W3 Pics & first sound check - 11/02/05 12:55 AM
Your garage is going to have better sound than most people's houses
Posted By: RickF Re: W3 Pics & first sound check - 11/02/05 12:57 AM
In reply to:

Your garage is going to have better sound than most people's houses

Which somehow makes me wonder...

W3's in the 'doghouse?' Hmmmm.
Posted By: Tharkun Re: W3 Pics & first sound check - 11/02/05 01:46 AM
Well there is a change, the new system went in the master bedroom, next project will be another pair of W3s and a Halo 23 for the garage. Using the zone 2 out from the C2 in the main system for the source.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: W3 Pics & first sound check - 11/02/05 01:52 AM
In reply to:

W3's in the 'doghouse?' Hmmmm.

Don't give him any ideas!

If the man with the most toys wins, Tharkun has got to be leader of this pack!
Posted By: bigjohn Re: W3 Pics & first sound check - 11/08/05 03:52 AM
no port holes were abused or mistreated during the typing of this post.. i plead the 5th..

thats my first real look at the wall series speakers.. i just cant see how they can get the bass and mid response like they get from the original style.. but, if anyone can, i am sure it would be ian, alan, and their crack staff..

i will be trolling the net for some reviews of the new speakers.. i just might have to recommend them to some friends just so i can hear a set..

bigjohn
Posted By: Ken.C Re: W3 Pics & first sound check - 11/08/05 04:50 AM
JOHN'S BACK! Yay!
Posted By: Tharkun Re: W3 Pics & first sound check - 11/08/05 12:37 PM
Once the W3s are installed, the sound is amazing bigjohn.
© Axiom Message Boards