Axiom Home Page
Posted By: cgolf Tweaking Speakers - 10/27/05 02:20 PM
I'm probably going to get beat up or shot for this comment but here goes anyway. I have set up my speakers-M60s, VP150, QS4s & SVS sub with a Denon 2105 receiver using my ears and the receiver test tones only and have adjusted the speaker levels.

I read alot about the tweaking process using an SPL meter & setup CD. Is this really going to make that much difference in the sound quality, etc......
Posted By: bridgman Re: Tweaking Speakers - 10/27/05 02:33 PM
With the exception of the sub, some people can do a good job of tweaking the other speakers without an SPL meter, while other people do a crappy job. The benefit of an SPL meter is that you get more consistency and you don't have to wonder.

I don't think it's possible to level-balance a sub without an SPL meter (unless you are just playing music etc... and going for the sound you want) because you are dealing with completely different frequency ranges between sub and everything else.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Tweaking Speakers - 10/27/05 02:42 PM
IMHO, if nothing else, it will give you peace of mind knowing your equipment is set up properly. If you get the chance, you might read

AN INTRODUCTION TO TEST & CALIBRATION DVDS, aka "Why the hell do I need one of these things?"

and also:

A Quick Overview of Home Theater Calibration

Posted By: cgolf Re: Tweaking Speakers - 10/27/05 02:49 PM
I love our new firewall/security here at work. I can't get to either one of those links (they must be redneck, conservative, right wing propaganda sites!!! haha) so I'll have to wait until tonight to read them. Thanks for the info!!!
Posted By: oz350z Re: Tweaking Speakers - 10/27/05 03:15 PM
Jack
A wealth of good information as always. Thanks for posting those links for us.
UDAMAN
oz
Posted By: Ajax Re: Tweaking Speakers - 10/27/05 05:03 PM
Glad to be of service. BrotherBob (at least I think it was him) recently posted this one.

Calibrating Your Home Theater System

I've not read it completely, but, at first glance it, too, looks worthwhile.

© Axiom Message Boards