Axiom Home Page
Posted By: GregM Plasma vs LCD? - 10/31/05 12:48 AM
Does anyone know what the differenece between these two is? I am very into tech stuff but since I use a projector for movies, I am out of the tv loop. To my eyes they both are flat screens and both seem to have way too much pixelization for a $500 set, let alone the $,2000+ they cost. Maybe that is just the signal being degraded at places like Best Buy?

Greg
Posted By: RickF Re: Plasma vs LCD? - 10/31/05 03:51 AM
Greg, hopefully this site will answer your questions.
Posted By: alan Re: Plasma vs LCD? - 10/31/05 01:19 PM
Hi GregM,

This article of mine in the Axiom archives should help you
(http://www.axiomaudio.com/archives/pixelcount.html).

Keep in mind you might have been looking at so-called "EDTV" (Enhanced DefinitionTV) panels, which are not HD. They are the equivalent of DVD resolution--480p.

The best plasma displays tend to have slightly better shadow detail and blacks than LCD. Plasmas also run hot, and use lots of power but can deliver a very bright picture viewable over wide angles. Plasmas start at about the 42-inch diagonal size and larger. LCD panels dominate the smaller displays.

LCD panels typically may have limitations on viewing angles to the side, and somewhat grayish blacks, but the best ones can deliver excellent picture quality with good contrast.

Within each category you'll find significant differences from brand to brand, with Panasonic and Sony being at the top in both LCD and Plasma technologies. Dell also sells a highly rated 42-inch plasma.

Store displays will vary from good to bad, but if you hunt around, you may find one where you can make reasonable comparisons.

Regards,

Posted By: bugbitten Re: Plasma vs LCD? - 10/31/05 03:40 PM
Link

Posted By: GregM Re: Plasma vs LCD? - 10/31/05 05:54 PM
Thanks for the tips. That clears everything up for me.

I'll be calling Axiom later today to finally decide on either the VP-100 or VP-150. Then tomorrow I place my order. Yee-hah! Been waiting for eighteen months for this upgrade.

Greg
Posted By: RickF Re: Plasma vs LCD? - 10/31/05 06:59 PM
In reply to:

Yee-hah! Been waiting for eighteen months for this upgrade.

Greg

Well then, congratulations to you Greg! Hope you enjoy your new system ... after everything is calibrated, of course.
Posted By: Newf Re: Plasma vs LCD? - 10/31/05 07:05 PM
who makes the Dell lcd panels? I've heard it's samsung.
Posted By: thanwu Re: Plasma vs LCD? - 10/31/05 08:57 PM
I just bought one Philips 42" from SAM's Club. I were looking for Plasma TV for a while, almost bought the Panasonic Set, but the Philips is a little bit cheaper with all the connection i need(HDMI). The picture quality are excellent. The only problem i have is the remote and manual. It is not a problem since i am going to get the HD cable tomorrow. It will control the TV and channels for me. I think it is the best value Plasma in the market now.
Posted By: alan Re: Plasma vs LCD? - 10/31/05 09:30 PM
Hi Newf,

The Dell is a plasma, not an LCD. I don't think it's Samsung makes the Dell, because the Samsung plasmas haven't impressed me.

It's often very difficult or impossible to find out who "OEM's" a screen for a large company unless you know a senior engineering person at the company and even then they are usually cautioned against revealing details like this.

Regards,
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Plasma vs LCD? - 10/31/05 09:42 PM
In reply to:

with Panasonic and Sony being at the top in both LCD and Plasma technologies.

Of the plasmas I've seen Pioneer Elite and Fujitsu seemed to have the best pq. Are the Panasonic and Sony plasmas really better?

The best LCD's I've seen have all been by Sony.

Posted By: AshBoomstick Re: Plasma vs LCD? - 11/01/05 05:24 AM
In reply to:

Of the plasmas I've seen Pioneer Elite and Fujitsu seemed to have the best pq. Are the Panasonic and Sony plasmas really better?

Craig, I've been doing a lot of research on this recently, cause I've got the go ahead to get a 50" plasma. It seems like the general consensus is that the Panny has slightly better black levels , but the Pioneer has a little more "pop" or 3-D realism on HD material.

p.s.- so is The Goblet of Fire as good as they say it is?
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: Plasma vs LCD? - 11/01/05 05:40 AM
I'd be cautious w/ Pioneer.

AVS Forums
Posted By: JohnK Re: Plasma vs LCD? - 11/01/05 07:52 AM
Craig, my viewing results are Panasonic for plasma, and I agree about Sony for LCD. I was especially impressed recently by the 40" Sony XBR.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Plasma vs LCD? - 11/01/05 08:42 AM
Good to know about the panasonics...

Yeah...Goblet looks really good.

Posted By: alan Re: Plasma vs LCD? - 11/01/05 04:01 PM
Hi,

I have not seen a Fujitsu plasma. The last time I viewed Pioneers (Jan. 05), they were disappointing. For years, from the mid- to late '90s, Pioneer held the top spot for plasma HD displays, but in my judgment the Panasonic plasmas look better this year.

The Pioneer plasmas I saw lacked contrast and had grayish blacks. It was a Pioneer press event so you'd think they'd have the panels calibrated to look their best.

Regards,
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Plasma vs LCD? - 11/01/05 04:49 PM
Were you seeing their Elite models? The difference between their standard and Elite models is not minimal.
Posted By: Newf Re: Plasma vs LCD? - 11/01/05 10:11 PM
I was a DJ for about 12 yrs or more. Used to use a lot of Pioneer equipment ( not my choice ). It'll be a long time before I trust Pioneer ever again. Had many issues and failures with their stuff. Last year I needed a DVD player for a 2nd tv in the house and needed it ASAP. Long story short I picked up a Pioneer from Sears that was on sale. I hate the darn thing. Picture isn't great, sound is almost distorted, and it takes forever to respond from a button press. Their TV's never impressed me over the years. That being said, I never really looked at their latest offereings.

Granted, brand names can change, and Pioneer seems to be getting a following lately with their receivers. But, I can only be burned so many times.

© Axiom Message Boards