Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Worfzara Universal Remote Controls - 11/12/05 12:26 AM
Good day everyone.

I am looking for a Universal Remote control to run my system (Rotel pre amp/processor/Pioneer DVD/Cambridge Audio CD/Starchoice DR505/LG DVD Burner/Toshiba 55" TV).

Requirments:
- It must very ergonomic, for those night when you can't find anything on TV and you need to surf.
- It must have macro's with one button, and lots of them with many steps (this is more for the wife and kids).
- I would prefer hard buttons
- It must not cost more than $300. Around $100 to 150 would be better.
- LCD screen is nice for info but not required.

I have looked at the Harmony line (expensive) and the Home Theatre Master line (can also be expensive). I realize there is no perfect remote that can do it all.

Anybody have any recommendations?

thanks

pn
Posted By: hashts Re: Universal Remote Controls - 11/12/05 01:05 AM
Hey,

I recently jumped on a great deal for a Logitech Harmony 680 Remote about 2 months ago for around $75. I haven't seen that deal since but its a very nice remote.

Ergo = check
Marcros = check
Hard buttons = check
Cost = check
LCD = check

Sure this is the entry level model but it does everything I need for all my components. Sure I wouldn't mind upgrading but that will set me back $60-100.

Edit: Tigerdirect also has a 30 day trial so check it out and if you're not impressed sent it back. Return shipping shouldn't be too bad. Newegg also carries it as well.
Posted By: Worfzara Re: Universal Remote Controls - 11/12/05 01:14 AM
How do you find the sensitivity on the 680. Do you have to have it pointed directly at the TV, or do you just have to get it in the general area. Again, this is more for the wife than myself?

Thanks

pn
Posted By: hashts Re: Universal Remote Controls - 11/12/05 01:17 AM
The sensivity is pretty good. You won't have to directly aim at the tv, just in the general area. The 880 is also VERY nice but it costs 230ish at newegg and tigerdirect.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Universal Remote Controls - 11/12/05 01:30 AM
The Home Theater Master MX-700 Universal Remote Control satisfies all your requirements. You program it on your computer, and then download your setup to the remote. Your program can be as simple or as complicated as you want to make it.

- I find it remarkably ergonomic. Most of the time, I don't even need to use the back-light to know where I am on the buttons.
- Nearly all the buttons can be programmed with macros.
- Hard buttons.
- Brand new model = $159.95
- Back-lit LCD screen

I recommend downloading the free software and manual (links at the bottom of the page), and fooling around with the program to see if you'd like it. It takes a bit of learning, but once learned, it can be quick and easy.
Posted By: dakkon Re: Universal Remote Controls - 11/12/05 01:30 AM
hey man, i just bought an mx 350 today. and i freaking love it.. i would reccomend this remote for you.. price being 150$ is what i paid.. has everything you are looking for. and very simple to use. dont know if that was one of your requirements or not though.
Posted By: Worfzara Re: Universal Remote Controls - 11/12/05 01:40 AM
Yes, I have looked at the 880, it's new and pricy. Not sure I need or will use the extra features. Also heard not so good things about the button layout, seems to be tought to feel the right buttons.

Good website BTW. Thanks

Now this is where I start to get confused, Harmony has many remotes all between $100ish and $130ish. How does anyone know which one to pick. Is there a site that compares the differences between the 680, 659, 676, and the 688? Or is there even a difference?

pn
Posted By: Sutter Cane Re: Universal Remote Controls - 11/12/05 01:55 AM
The MX-700 is a great remote, but I like my MX-850 better.
Posted By: Worfzara Re: Universal Remote Controls - 11/12/05 02:04 AM
Why?
Posted By: Worfzara Re: Universal Remote Controls - 11/12/05 02:05 AM
Does anybody know any Canadian websites that sell either the Harmony or Home Theater units?
Posted By: Ajax Re: Universal Remote Controls - 11/12/05 03:06 AM
I like my 850 slightly better than my 700 as well. However, one isn't going to find an 850 for $150. The 850 retails for $400. One might find an open box model somewhere for a little under $300, but I don't feel the 850 is TWICE as good as the 700.
Posted By: curtis Re: Universal Remote Controls - 11/12/05 03:18 AM
Oh no!!! When did you get the 850?

I love my 700...and owe it to Ray and Ajax for the purchase.

I am tempted to try Logitech 880.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Universal Remote Controls - 11/12/05 04:18 AM
Me and my big mouth. Ray MADE me get it.
Posted By: Sutter Cane Re: Universal Remote Controls - 11/12/05 04:34 AM
Ajax,

All I was saying is that I like my 850 better is all. The whole how much better is it, I could care less about. I just know I like it better. However, heck yes, if ones tight on funds, then it's kind of a no brainer. As you said, the 850 is a lot higher and defiantly isn't twice as better/good. To tell ya the truth, if the 700 came in black, I probably would have saved myself some money and got the 700. As is though, I can't stand the look of the 700, even though I know you do not buy a remote simply due to it's color.
Posted By: curtis Re: Universal Remote Controls - 11/12/05 05:06 AM
In reply to:

Me and my big mouth. Ray MADE me get it.

LOL!!!

Posted By: thyname Re: Universal Remote Controls - 11/12/05 05:35 AM
I have Harmony 880 and I am very happy with it. I think you can buy for less than USD 200 online now. I bought mine when it just came out for full price of $250 at Best Buy, I could not wait.
Posted By: bugbitten Re: Universal Remote Controls - 11/12/05 04:50 PM
I share the same price paid and good thoughts about the 880 as thyname.

Posted By: N_tennant Re: Universal Remote Controls - 11/12/05 05:20 PM
Worfzara, FutileShop sells Harmony (Logitech) remotes.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10062059&catid=10011
Posted By: Rock_Head Re: Universal Remote Controls - 11/12/05 05:55 PM
Re: FutileShop sells Harmony (Logitech) remotes.
I have seen them in Best Buy as well.
Posted By: sssutherland Re: Universal Remote Controls - 11/12/05 07:04 PM
Just to add to the confusion. You could also check out this . Don't know much about RCA remotes but the price sure is right. And its RF so you don't have to point it anywhere near your equipment.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Universal Remote Controls - 11/13/05 10:47 PM
The 700 and it's replacement, the 850, are essentially the same. The 850 has a different center button set and is a different color as well as being RF capable. If you can find the 700, as Jack suggests, it's a no-brainer. An 850 open box can be had at SurfRemoteControl for a substantial savings (call & talk to Mike). Getting under $300 won't be a problem.

Drop into Remote Central, the remote authority on the web. Info on the MX models and the Harmony models abounds.

Whatever you do, DON'T tell Curtis what you bought. He'll buy one too!!! He just can't help himself.
Posted By: Worfzara Re: Universal Remote Controls - 11/14/05 12:47 AM
Anybody using the URC-300? Comments?
Posted By: sidvicious02 Re: Universal Remote Controls - 11/15/05 08:19 PM
Worfzara,
you can find the Logitech Harmony remotes a number of places now, i think A&B Sound (though i see you are in TO so that probably doesn't work) and London Drug i think even has them. Seems to me i've seen them elsewhere too. I can't speak for the HT remotes i don't recall seeing them at any chain retailers in Canada. However, I'm sure there are a number of HT/Stereo specialty stores in the GTA that would carry them. Good luck.

© Axiom Message Boards