Axiom Home Page
Guys, At AVS, We are discussing subwoofers which will hit reference levels (121 dB from the listening position) from below 20 Hz up to the crossover point.

The new Danley Tower of Power will do it for $4600.

I just upgraded to a Quad Epic series - Three EP-600's and one EP-500. We are getting over 121 dB from 17.5 Hz and up - and can get close to 130 dB from 25 Hz and up, in room.

I am not blasting at these levels, but a system which is never even CLOSE to being strained is something to hear ...
Damn, I sure hope you have a reinforced steel home. lol. My one EP500 feels like a bomb going off sometimes. I cant imagine was all that feels like.
For the most part, it sounds like an EP-500. It just happens to be the 2300 Watt, really BIG EP-500...
What's the configuration Craig?
Geez! How do can you hear anymore?
BB - They are dual co-located, mid wall. This delivers 9 dB higher bass levels than will a single EP-600.

Jin, I don't listen any louder than before, it is more a feeling of totally effortless bass, which also envelopes the room, with NO pressurizing effects from either side.
Yeah, well, somebody over at AVS will tell you that you're doing it all wrong, and that you couldn't POSSIBLY be getting that much bass from poorly braced subwoofers with wimpy drivers. OY!
And you believe we're contentious over here Jack!
WOW Craig,

So lets say for example that in your room, that combination gives you perfect unstrained bass at reference level. If you were to listen in that same room at -9 under reference with a single EP600 or -11 under reference with a single EP500, would you essentially be at that same perfect unstrained bass, or are there more things at play than that?

Thanks, just trying to expand my bass knowledge, and justify only having one EP500 . Just kidding, I love my sub!
Your math is correct, except from 20 Hz and up, I am getting 4 dB above reference, so in my room, a single EP-600 would be about 4 dB below reference from that 20 Hz signal, and about 9 dB from 17.5 Hz.

Another way of looking at this. You own a Corvette already. I was just crazy enough to take my Corvette, by another and send them both to Lingenfelter for extra power.

wow Craig that is some serious bass. you might as well trade the 500 and make it 4 600's. Do you not use your DD18 anymore? I would like to get it from you.
The Velodyne is in our basement theater ... but I appreciate you thinking of me ...
Craig, I read your post at AVS and you noted the 2 verticle 600's were firing to the rear wall, and the horizontal 600 and EP500 were firing into the room?

Are the verticle 600's in front of your seating or behind. Somehow I got the impression from the other thread that they were behind you and firing away toward the rear wall. But I dont think you stated that, and I don't have the thread open at the moment.

Just wanted to learn more about your placement and calibration, including phase. It's got to be more complex when dealing with 4 as opposed to 1 or 2.
You are thinking of the original set up - For four, I went with the layout as preferred by Floyd Toole - side wall placement.

The only subwoofer facing into the room is the Horizontal. Of course, when you consider the shortest wavelengths these guys handle are about 7 feet in length (for the 80 Hz signal), forward or rear facing is not much of an issue.

Surprisingly, as detailed by Dr. Toole, phasing in this position is rather simple.
You know, Craig, if you need another member of the family, I'm open for adoption.
© Axiom Message Boards