Axiom Home Page
OK so Craig went with 3 600s and 1 500. I don't think so! I've decided to deploy 2 600s and 2 500s. The 600s in mid sidewall configuration as per the Toole recommendation should really make for a smooth sound. But rather than collocate the 500s beside the 600s I am goig to place initially the 500s on either side of the centre channel below the projector screen. Should be headroom galore. My Ultra will be sold to my brother who blew up his Yammy sub with War of the worlds.
In reply to:

My Ultra will be sold to my brother who blew up his Yammy sub with War of the worlds.

You don't by any chance have another brother named 'Jinx', do you? J/K!

What size room do you have these subs in Jakeman? Also, you guys who are running multiple (over two) subs, how are you connecting all of the subs together?
Hi Rick. He doesn't post yet so no Jinx. But he has a HT room much larger than my 3500cf so I hope he keeps it down or the bottoming will eventually damage that driver.

I have an XLR connection to my 600 on the left sidewall. So I will daisy chain XLR to the first 500 just inside my left main then connect another XLR from that 500 to the next 500 on the inside right main. On the other side of the room I have an rca connection to the 600 mid sidewall.

Should be sweet with lots of headroom and low bass. My 2 sons aren;t looking forward to it because they will have to carry that equipment to the HT room. My only concern regards getting them phased properly which may require some movement from those ideal positions. If the front 500s are a problem collocating beside the 600s should be fine.
That room will probably sound quite amazing John, congrats...that's a heck of a system!

Well if you're running a couple of 600s along with a couple of 500s in a 3500 cu ft room then adding another 600 or most probably a 500 as a second sub *shouldn't* be too much sub for my 2700 cu ft room, I'm thinking. I bet a 600 paired with a 500 would work out real good, we'll have to see at a later date.

What's next 6 x 600s?
Rick. A 2700cf room is plenty large for 2 subs ideally midsidewall located. The recent trend to more bass intense DVDs convinced me that I needed more headroom. That coupled with the various people I had over who noted the noise coming from the Ultra in demanding scenes convinced me to go for it.
Just in case you want to give away one of the Axiom subs I'll be your brother .No adotption required
By saying 'midsidewall' you mean in a room that's L25'xW14'xH8' the subs will be placed at the 12.5' location, which will put them roughly 5' in front of the seating position? Also, facing each other?
Yes as a starting point. From there move the sub slowly forward or backward along the wall while running a sweep with your eye on the SPL metre in the seat. The spot you are looking for is the one with the least volatility on the metre. Then place the other sub in the same spot on the other sidewall. Then check phase for maximum SPL. Toole's research has shown that is the location for dual subs with the smoothest response across all the seats ie. the smoothest peaks and nulls.
Hey rick

thanks for the helping hand. If the subs start quibbling with each other I'll consider giving one up for adoption.
>>What's next 6 x 600s?

If you look at the EP600 design you will notice that the sides are angled. If you put enough EP600s together you get a 360 degree circle. That would seem to be a reasonable goal.

That's funny AND creative!

Let's do it! I'll volunteer my room. Maybe It'll blow the walls out to improve the acoustics!
OK, who wants to do the math to figure out how many that will be? Peter?
Peters busy.
I vote for you Ken.
But I'm waaay too lazy.

OK.

Fine.

I'll get right on it.
Okay John, it was your idea, I know you have room in the basement of the new house. That would make a great conversation piece, so hope to see it the next time I visit. [smile
I'd need to know the exact dimensions and wedge angle in order to figure out how many it would take to complete a circle. Chances are, it wouldn't work out exactly and there'd be gaps.
Try 14 3/4" x 11 7/8" and a side dimension of 16 5/16". Should be close enought. lol
Is the 14 3/4" the front width and the 11 7/8" the back width?
We'll be expecting a CAD drawing.

And some SPL specs.

In your spare time.
I am alone in a furnished, but otherwise empty apartment. Believe me, I have time.
Yes, you have it right.

Sorry, still getting back to being home. Four days trying to deal with mph/km, the wierd looking money, and was really confused when I had a problem using Johns phone and he told me I was not dialing in metric.
Here's my results, according to the figures Tharkun provided

The angular sweep of one EP600 is a hair over 10 degrees, so it would take 36 to make a complete circle. The radius of this beast would be 7 feet (diameter 14 feet).

Who wants to try it???

No time for a CAD mockup, and if you want me to show my work, you'll need to beg.

EDIT: SOHCAHTOA, baby.
Holy cow!!!
Can you imagine.
Well, we now know what project Craig and John are gonna be working on for the next several weeks.

In reply to:

Well, we now know what project Craig and John are gonna be working on for the next several weeks.

If Ian has two, and I went to four, shouldn't John have to get eight ?

ps ... From what I hear, Ian has about 200 at any given time ...
...and due to the intense magnetic field at the center combined with the high SPL radiating from the device, a wormhole would form at the center and anything in the center space would become unstuck in our space-time matrix.

Say hi to "Teal'C" (obscure Stargate SG1 reference) for me if you make one!

I think I have room for one of these arrays in the far corner of my new HT loft. I was worried about the sub making the piano buzz anyways... maybe I can move the piano down to the ground floor.

I'm thinking about a set of benches around the outside, combining seating with subwoofage.
Can you imagine listening to War of The Worlds with that beast? Good golly Miss Molly, what an experience that would be.
Yes, a 14' diameter is pretty big. Maybe just 35 instead of 36 and turn them pointing in (would make getting in a little difficult). Then watch WOTW sitting at the center, or more accurately, the "epicenter"
© Axiom Message Boards