Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Duane Receiver on top of sub. - 12/05/05 05:49 PM
Hello,

I'm going to be ordering the Epic 80 500 system this week. I have a question is there any problem with placing my receiver on top of my ep500? I don't have an A/V rack and I want to try and keep it out in the open to cool rather than in my enclosed TV stand.

Posted By: RickF Re: Receiver on top of sub. - 12/05/05 05:59 PM
Hi and welcome to the board Duane! Congrats on the new system and I hope you enjoy it.

I have heard of other folks placing receivers and amps on the subs with no problems, I personally think it looks a little odd though. No other area to place it?
Posted By: Duane Re: Receiver on top of sub. - 12/05/05 06:12 PM
Well I'm in an apartment currently with kind of an oddly shaped room.

http://citrix.etcohomes.com/apartment.gif

My furniture setup is pretty much the same except my couch is a sectional in that corner. I can't really afford an A/V rack at the moment since I'm spending 3k on speakers and I just spent 1k on a receiver and besides I'm not even sure there would be room up there for one with the speakers and the sub. The only other option would be inside the TV stand which I am loathe to do for cooling reasons, there is already a HTPC in there with a port cut out in the back for cooling but I wouldn't want any more stuff in there.

So after all that blather I figure untill I move in to a bigger place (hopefully soon) if there is no problem with the receiver on top of the unshielded sub then I can plop it on there.

Receiver is a Denon 3806 btw if that matters for some reason.
Posted By: RickF Re: Receiver on top of sub. - 12/05/05 06:16 PM

You're hopefully going to really like that system Duane! I wouldn't worry too much about it then, I really don't believe you'll have any problems.

Posted By: bugbitten Re: Receiver on top of sub. - 12/05/05 06:28 PM
I find that the EP500 sits very solid while shaking the room around it. Because of Christmas tree placement my EP500 now finds itself next to the love seat. I must find something to prevent water/other stains for the Christmas parties.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Receiver on top of sub. - 12/05/05 06:36 PM
Personally, I wouldn't put any electronics on top of a sub because of vibrations. Even very minute vibrations could break a delicate connection/solder point over time.
Posted By: Wid Re: Receiver on top of sub. - 12/05/05 06:44 PM

I wouldn't do it either, I would try to find something like an amp stand and put it on the floor.
Posted By: RickF Re: Receiver on top of sub. - 12/05/05 06:47 PM
Uh yeeah.

That's what I was trying to say all along guys. Nope you shouldn't do that Duane.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Receiver on top of sub. - 12/05/05 07:11 PM
I guess the ideal solution would be some kind of end table with skinny legs that fits over the EP500 so you get the same result as sitting the receiver on the sub but without all that vibratin' stuff.
Posted By: Duane Re: Receiver on top of sub. - 12/05/05 10:28 PM
Thanks for the replies =).

I suppose i can put it on it's side with some spacers to keep it off the carpet in between the TV stand and one of the speakers for now. At least untill I can find some kind of rack/table for it.

Maybe I'll go see what kind of cheap tables etc they have at target.

*impatiently waiting for the bank to register my check deposit so I can order my Axioms*
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Receiver on top of sub. - 12/05/05 11:12 PM
It's not a good idea to keep a receiver on its side. Mechanically, it's fine, but they are designed to cool passively by venting hot air out the top.
Posted By: Duane Re: Receiver on top of sub. - 12/06/05 01:22 AM
Hmmm, i guess i'll have to see if i can find some kind of cheap table or something that will fit...of course finding one my GF will accept is going to be rough...especially since she is already going to want to kill me once my axioms take over the living room.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Receiver on top of sub. - 12/06/05 02:34 AM
I feel your pain. In consideration of my wife's desire for more floorspace, I moved from floorstanding tower speakers (non-Axiom) to bookshelf speakers (Axiom M22) thinking I was getting the short end of the stick. Lucky for me, we both won out. I got better speakers and she got her floorspace.
© Axiom Message Boards