Axiom Home Page
Posted By: richeydog New Outlaw 970 Prepro - 12/06/05 05:21 AM
I found out today about Outlaw Audio's new preamp/processor. -$699- Looks just like the 1070 a/v receiver but without the amps inside. Outlaw Audio.

What do you all think???
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: New Outlaw 970 Prepro - 12/06/05 05:35 AM
I don't find it very bad looking. Try as I might, I could not get used to the ugly green button they used to use. Someday I hope to hear some Outlaw products. Came close to buying some monoblocks from them.

Seems a pretty reasonable price for a prepro. Looks like it's loaded with useful features. Very interesting.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: New Outlaw 970 Prepro - 12/06/05 05:36 AM
<troll>
Wow, Outlaw made something attractive!
</troll>

Sorry to all you Outlaw owners and lovers. I just had to say it.
Posted By: dakkon Re: New Outlaw 970 Prepro - 12/06/05 05:37 AM
First off, you know that you will have to buy a separate amp, to go with that processor.. so 699$ is the starting point, then from there the sky is the limit you can spend on an amp or amps..

I have a processor, looked at buying that one looked at the stats.. and in the end I decied to go with a NAD product.. I got the NAD t163

The outlaw unit is a good unit and is a good deal at that price point.

Posted By: richeydog Re: New Outlaw 970 Prepro - 12/06/05 05:48 AM
Oh yeah I'm aware of the need for separate amps. They are bringing out a 75x7 watt amp(model 7075) in a few weeks to compliment the new prepro. The amp is $699 alone or you can buy the combo for $1299.

I'm looking at getting into separates and this caught my eye. Certainly alot better looking than the old stuff for sure. That green button...oh that green button.<rolleyes>

Posted By: duane123 Re: New Outlaw 970 Prepro - 12/06/05 07:34 AM
I'm new to "high end" HT, I've always had cheap receivers and some low end polk gear before now. Maybe that's why I don't understand the big deal with seperates. Is there something I'm missing here? To me the numbers just don't match up, but like i said it could just be im ignorant.

I picked up a Denon 3806 for under 1k which seems to have more features and inputs and it has 7 x 120 watt amps built in. Is there a reason a seperates option like this one is better?

Not trying to say anything bad about this equipment I just honestly don't understand.
Posted By: JohnK Re: New Outlaw 970 Prepro - 12/06/05 08:06 AM
Duane, welcome. No, you're not ignorant; your viewpoint is the realistic one. Separates(aka "seperates")have developed a mystique for which there's no factual basis. Putting components into two or three boxes instead of one achieves no magic results, even when there may be slight measurable differences. The same basic rule applies: if the frequency response is flat from 20-20KHz and noise and distortion are inaudibly low, amplification is transparent and no sound characteristic is created by the process, regardless of the number of components involved or their cost. Blind listening tests indicate that this is the case, with flowery descriptions of the "sound" disappearing when the labels and price tags disappear and sound levels are matched to within 0.1dB.
Posted By: DOUBTINGTHOMAS29 Re: New Outlaw 970 Prepro - 12/06/05 08:48 AM
Duane, if you hit up Wal-Mart or K-Mart they have really great sounding receivers there.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: New Outlaw 970 Prepro - 12/06/05 05:13 PM
Even though you're joking, it's actually true.
Posted By: dakkon Re: New Outlaw 970 Prepro - 12/07/05 02:09 AM
I would disagree with the opinion that separates are = to a single unit.

The reason for this is with a HUGE transformer right next to the audio/video processing will introduce some interference into that circuitry.. also a unit that is ONLY an amplifier will be more powerful.. kind of like in your car, a head unit has an amp sure, but if you get external amps they are much cleaner, and more powerful.. even if you get a 50watt amp that is equally rated to the head unit..

I think in the end it is personal preference. I have had high end receivers and seperats, with a receiver as a processor, and the separate amp, and also now a dedicated processor with no amplifier built in, and I will tell you I can tell an audible difference.

Just my opinion, separates do cost more, but to me I am willing to pay the extra, I can tell a difference, and I am willing to sacrifice some features for sound quality, since most of the extra features are not really useful anyhow.

Posted By: pmbuko Re: New Outlaw 970 Prepro - 12/07/05 03:57 AM
Are you actually trying to tell me that Stadium surround effect is not useful???
Posted By: real80sman Re: New Outlaw 970 Prepro - 12/07/05 04:32 AM
I agree with JohnK - to a certain point. At normal to moderate listening levels, most people couldn't hear the difference in a blind test. Once the volume starts creeping up to eviction levels though, it's a whole other story. A well designed separate will have more headroom, and therefore sound cleaner at higher volume levels than the receiver will.
Posted By: ratpack Re: New Outlaw 970 Prepro - 12/07/05 12:24 PM
I did a lot of looking at seperates this past Summer and it ALWAYS seemed to me that the better value was a receiver. The receivers were more feature rich and "cheaper", and if you wanted more power, you could always use "seperate" amps for the front and/ or center.

From a cost/ value basis, I just don't think that you can beat the receiver!!

Just one man's opinion.
Posted By: thyname Re: New Outlaw 970 Prepro - 12/08/05 12:31 AM
This topic, separates vs. receivers, seems to be contraversial (spelling??). I would say, go with separates for stereo - you'll notice a decent improvement, and keep a receiver for home theater.
Posted By: ratpack Re: New Outlaw 970 Prepro - 12/10/05 04:44 AM
We have been through these discussions elsewhere on this board. The bottom line is if the hardware specifications are accurate, THERE SHOULD BE NO DIFFERANCE BETWEEN SEPERATES AND A RECEIVER. PERIOD!!!

If the specifications are not accurate, then, what can I say??
Posted By: Wid Re: New Outlaw 970 Prepro - 12/10/05 04:47 AM

Why are ya yelling so much ?
Posted By: richeydog Re: New Outlaw 970 Prepro - 12/10/05 07:44 AM
In reply to:

Why are ya yelling so much ?

Rat has to yell. His avatar is too loud.

© Axiom Message Boards