Axiom Home Page
Posted By: hawkeyes33 New Subwoofer - 01/01/06 06:05 PM
My 8" JBL sub quite working last night. All it does it click on then off, on then off... It is not the best sub in the world, but it got the job done. My question is do I buy just any sub to replace it? I want to buy the EP125 if my wife approves it, but if I cant what else do you guys suggest?
This is my current system: Yamaha HTR-5560
2 QS8 rear surround
2 bookshelf Infinitys(8 years old
JBL center channel
Posted By: SirQuack Re: New Subwoofer - 01/01/06 06:06 PM
Can you describe you room situation? Size? You want to get a sub that will fill your room space.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: New Subwoofer - 01/01/06 06:08 PM
I take it from your screen name, you must live in Iowa? Both "nickbuol" and I live in the Des Moines area...

Randy

Posted By: Ken.C Re: New Subwoofer - 01/01/06 06:09 PM
Well, either that or Crabapple Cove...
Posted By: hawkeyes33 Re: New Subwoofer - 01/01/06 06:11 PM
The room that it is in is about 25' x 25'. It is in my basement and I never tought the need for a bigger sub was needed. I know for this room size it is, but I sit about 10 feet from the TV and the sub is behind it, so I never complained about the need for a bigger sub.
Posted By: hawkeyes33 Re: New Subwoofer - 01/01/06 06:12 PM
Yes, I live in Clear Lake.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: New Subwoofer - 01/01/06 06:26 PM
Cool, nice to have another Iowan around these parts.

I'm not a sub expert, so maybe some of the others will jump in here, but for that size room the 125 would work, but not give you a true HT experience, especially in the Low Freq. Effects category.

My HT/recroom is about 30' x 30' with 9ft ceilings and the HT area is recessed in one of the corners. I've had the EP350 for about a year, but just sold it and bought a EP500. Before I moved everything downstairs I had the 350 upstairs in a 15 x 20 with vaulted ceilings room. The 350 did fine downstairs, but was not really enough to fill the entire room, so debated on getting a second 350 and place it opposite the room to balance out the LFE's. Instead I sold it and bought a 500, WOW, I luv this 500, unbelievable.

Ideally you would not want your sub behind the tv, but maybe your limited on placement? Sub freq's, especially below 80hz, are not directional, meaning you can't tell the direction of the low sounds. That is how it is supposed to be, and there is no need to place the driver facing the listening area.

How do you have your crossover settings set on the receiver/sub?

Go Panthers
Posted By: SirQuack Re: New Subwoofer - 01/01/06 06:58 PM
I was just reading the product information on some of the Axiom subs, below are their recommendations:

EP125 - small to medium rooms.
EP175 - 12' x 20' x 8' or smaller. 1920 cu.ft.
EP350 - 2500 to 6000 cubic ft rooms (l x w x h)

So assuming your room has 8ft ceilings, you would be at 5,000 cubic ft., you may want to consider a biger sub.

If you buy from the factory outlet you get an additional 10% off the regular pricing...

good luck

Randy

Posted By: sonicfox Re: New Subwoofer - 01/01/06 07:03 PM
Wow! A lot of Iowan's here! Count me in as one of them. Go Hawkeyes! Randy, I suppose you're an Iowa State fan?
Posted By: SirQuack Re: New Subwoofer - 01/01/06 07:08 PM
OOOOOOh sonic, I'm so sorry I forgot about you. There actually is a West Des Moines person as well, and two guys at my company, The Principal Financial Group, that I've referred that don't hang out on this website yet.

Posted By: littleb Re: New Subwoofer - 01/02/06 04:18 PM
Did I tell you lately that I love my new HSU? It cost me more than I originally wanted to pay, but I'm very glad I bit the bullet. My son was watching 'Blade' last night. Man, the living room was literally full of wonderful sound.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: New Subwoofer - 01/02/06 04:38 PM
OK, THERE's the example I was looking for in that Mr. & Mrs. Smith thread...
Posted By: littleb Re: New Subwoofer - 01/02/06 04:52 PM
Me thinks me missed somepun here.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: New Subwoofer - 01/02/06 04:53 PM
No, not really. I was just being snarky. And massively envious of your sub.
Posted By: littleb Re: New Subwoofer - 01/02/06 05:19 PM
. . .and I'm massively envious of your weather. To tell the truth, I'm jealous of everyone's weather.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: New Subwoofer - 01/02/06 07:13 PM
It's pouring right now. I live in the SF Bay Area, not sunny Southern California. Where it's pouring right now, too!

Remember Mark Twain's quote: "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco."
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: New Subwoofer - 01/02/06 07:21 PM
Indeed, it is pouring down here. Not so sunny SoCal, at the moment.

The sheep are chugging around in little motorboats on the muddy field outside my window. I hope they're not drinking. . .
Posted By: littleb Re: New Subwoofer - 01/02/06 08:05 PM
It rained here a couple weeks ago. It's on the ground now, frozen solid.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: New Subwoofer - 01/02/06 08:36 PM
I suppose in some ways, you've got it worse. The weird thing here is that whenever it rains, people act like they've never seen it before. People don't have rain cars, rain tires, rain plows, etc...
Posted By: nitram Re: New Subwoofer - 01/03/06 07:58 AM
I'm up in Santa Rosa (60 mi N of SF), and people here know exactly how to act when it rains: drive faster so that you get out of it sooner! --Martin
Posted By: littleb Re: New Subwoofer - 01/03/06 03:04 PM
You haven't lived until you are scraping a solid inch of frozen rain off of your father's windshield, during a blizzard, so he could drive through that blizzard, when the highway patrol has strongly suggested no travel. After your face has thawed, you wait for his call to tell you that he arrived safely. That's what I call .
Posted By: Ajax Re: New Subwoofer - 01/03/06 03:09 PM
I've got friends in Santa Rosa. They live on Woodview.
© Axiom Message Boards