Axiom Home Page
Posted By: davemire A good SPL Meter - 01/03/06 09:48 PM
Hey All,
What and where can I get a good SPL Meter, preferably one that can guage up to at least; 160db.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: A good SPL Meter - 01/03/06 09:59 PM
If you're measuring 160 db, I hope you have a good set of hearing protectors.

Radio Shack is pretty much the standard around here; digital or analog is up to you.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: A good SPL Meter - 01/03/06 10:23 PM
160dB?

I use the Radio Shack analog meter, works for me.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: A good SPL Meter - 01/03/06 10:40 PM
Have a look at this, then tell us why exactly you need 160 dB. I must admit curiosity.
Posted By: RickF Re: A good SPL Meter - 01/03/06 11:06 PM
"Chest wall vibrates, choking, giddiness"

I remember those days.
Posted By: bridgman Re: A good SPL Meter - 01/04/06 01:45 AM
Wow... I don't think the chronographs we use for clocking handgun ammunition go up to 160 dB
Posted By: dakkon Re: A good SPL Meter - 01/04/06 01:59 AM
160db, this is not for home audio is it? don’t think any home audio could pressurize a room to 160db...

Posted By: JohnK Re: A good SPL Meter - 01/04/06 02:13 AM
Dave, as the previous replies have indicated, if you're considering a meter for audio(rather than military)usage, the levels used for calibration are in the 80dB range, and even on brief peaks more than about 110dB will rarely if ever occur in a home environment.
Posted By: dakkon Re: A good SPL Meter - 01/04/06 02:25 AM
2 words.

car audio

3 more words

lots of subwoofers =160+DB
Posted By: Ken.C Re: A good SPL Meter - 01/04/06 02:34 AM
3 words:
insane hearing damage.

1 more word:
annoying.
Posted By: bridgman Re: A good SPL Meter - 01/04/06 03:36 AM
>>2 words / car audio / 3 more words / lots of subwoofers =160+DB

Ouch. I did a bit of poking around... the 2002 champion was over 175 dB, and they will only have gotten louder since. The example shown was a Dodge Caravan with over 50,000 watts.

Two words. Holy $%&!!

I retract my earlier comment.

EDIT -- this one seems to be good to 192 dB. Not sure what you calibrate it with, perhaps a carefully built tactical nuke...

http://www.motorcycleaccessoryparts.com/splconv.htm
Posted By: spiffnme Re: A good SPL Meter - 01/04/06 07:42 AM
...and for the low, low price of only $599!

Ouch.

Posted By: bridgman Re: A good SPL Meter - 01/04/06 02:17 PM
Remember we're talking about amplifiers that make Dennis's Halo stack look like an iPod here. I don't think this is a low-budget sport
Posted By: davemire Re: A good SPL Meter - 01/04/06 02:23 PM
Hahaha, you guys bust me up. I am an extreme audiophile; I want to use the meter not only for home theater usage, but as you guessed car audio. Last time I check my car was pushing 143Db, though it's bound to go up
Posted By: Michael_13 Re: A good SPL Meter - 01/04/06 03:23 PM
I hope to god you have a remote control on your car, and you stand far far away when that thing is pushing the 115 db limit. Have any pictures of these wild systems?
Posted By: davemire Re: A good SPL Meter - 01/04/06 03:36 PM
Not on hand, but I can post later. I do have a remote for the car, and have been found without hearing protection using the system. But when i really push it i use hearing muffs.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: A good SPL Meter - 01/04/06 03:55 PM
Please tell me you're not my neighbor.
Posted By: davemire Re: A good SPL Meter - 01/04/06 03:57 PM
Lol, no. I am curtious with my system, don't blare it in town, not in at my place (unless doing work on it) and I don't blare it at intersections! It bugs me to when other people crank it everywhere
Posted By: pmbuko Re: A good SPL Meter - 01/04/06 03:58 PM
Good. I can allow myself to like you now.
Posted By: dakkon Re: A good SPL Meter - 01/04/06 04:51 PM
Just wondering, at 143db, how can you call your self “an extreme audiophile”? my last car was 145db, and at that level, your not listening to music any more, its just noise. And I had a sq and spl system for my class.. I now have a system that is Much more musical and doesn’t get anywhere near as loud as my old system, but the sq wet up 10 fold…

Not trying to jump you or anything, just usualy audiofiles don’t like music much louder than say 89db.. and your talking 160…

Posted By: davemire Re: A good SPL Meter - 01/04/06 05:06 PM
Above all, I appreciate quality, fidelity, and a clear and precise sound stage (Hence my love for Axioms) But as a musician, specifically a bass guitarist, I also love the punch and low rumble of loud bass, extremely loud in most cases. Therefore, 143Db is just a start of my bass end, and when I am at home I listen to clear quality sound from my system.... make more sense

I strive to find the perfect sound, and find myself scrutinizing my home audio system constantly. That makes me an 'extreme' audiophile. *Sit in the dark and listen; pick it all apart, while constantly playing with all the settings and placements.*
Posted By: dakkon Re: A good SPL Meter - 01/04/06 05:20 PM
eek.. in the dark, with no big screen.... sheesh..
Posted By: Wid Re: A good SPL Meter - 01/04/06 05:24 PM
In reply to:

I strive to find the perfect sound, and find myself scrutinizing my home audio system constantly. That makes me an 'extreme' audiophile. *Sit in the dark and listen; pick it all apart, while constantly playing with all the settings and placements.*

Is there really such a thing as a perfect audio system? I used to do the same thing, listen to the system and pretty much forget it is the music that really counts. I have had the existing system for a bit over two years and the wanting to buy new pieces of equipment is done. I can just sit there and enjoy the music and not be concerned about "the system". This is, imo, what we all strive to achieve but I do wonder how many actually get to this point.
Posted By: davemire Re: A good SPL Meter - 01/04/06 05:27 PM
Well, I only get scruitinize the speakers that aren't Axiom. Since I got the m22ti's I found myself pulling out the old albums and just loving the music. I couldn't be happier now.
© Axiom Message Boards