Axiom Home Page
Hi All,

I would like to know if Monster Power is a good brand for a Line Conditioner/Serge Protection?

Any comments on there HTS 3600 MKII PowerCenter?

Thanks,

John
It's pricy and has nice blue LEDs. And it's from the company that is completely, utterly evil.
John, compare closely the 2600 and the 3600. I considered the 3600 but went with the $100 cheaper 2600 because they are almost identical except for the line level readout, I believe the joules rating is exactly the same. Keep in mind that these units are nothing more than a glorified surge protector. I typically don't buy Monster diddly squat but went with the 2600 because it matched my system and it keeps my power cords nice and tidy...I surely didn't buy it for it's snake oil value.
So your telling me that Monster Power HTS 3600II is no good?
Nope we're not saying it's no good...I like my 2600. We're just saying that these units will not perform the miracle works of art like some may try to convey, basically they are just an expensive surge protector and power cord organizer. I have one and I like it.

What Rick said, I have the HTS 2500 and I too like the conveinance factor
Rick could you tell me what all the fuss is about Monster Power?

Also what do you think of Belking PureAV PF60.

John
Monster is dishonest, plain and simple, as evidenced (one more time again) with such reports as this
John, check this out...HTS2600/HTS3600

There's a $150 price difference between the 2600 and the 3600, compare the joules rating of the two units...the 2600 has better surge protection.

It's not necessarily MonsterPower, for the most part it's MonsterCables ... they are good cables but they are tremendously overpriced. The folks at Monster apparently did some marketing snake oil tactics at this years CES show and in my estimation that wasn't too cool.

The Belkin units are very nice, I almost bought one myself. It basically comes down to what unit appeals to you the most, like anything else!
Yea, their website sucks also...obviously it wouldn't allow me to link the comparison page between the two mentioned components.
Rick, I just spent about 10k on a new A/V syetem and I want to protect the electronics, what and with who is the best way to protect them?

John
John, to be quite honest I'm probably not the best source of advice regarding this question. There are a lot more experienced folks than myself running around here who will show up sooner or later or you can shoot an email off to Alan or some of the other folks or Axiom, they are a knowledgeable bunch.
That's ok, thank you for your input.

John
I have the Monster power 2500 and am pleased with it. Granted I may not be happy with the way Monster runs its business, or for their retail pricing, but for less than $200 on E-bay and for protecting my equipment for up to $100,000 it does the job and I can't complain.
John, I probably won't be a lot of help, but I'm always willing to give an opinion.

There is a lot of controversy about power centers, and even surge protectors. There are those who feel they make a positive difference in the way your system sounds. Many others feel that is baloney. I would never claim my system sounds better because of my power center.

There are those who feel they provide only limited protection for your equipment. I've heard stories which say that, should the worse happen, and your equipment is destroyed by a lightning strike, you have little chance in getting the company to cover your loss UNLESS you have documentary proof that everything was hooked up precisely as instructed in the manual and warranty. They just say you didn't, and deny your claim. I don't know if any of this is true.

That being said, I've owned the Monster 2600, and now own the PureAV PF60. I bought them because I liked the features they offer, and NOT because I feel they make my system sound better, or offer total protection against all eventualities. They keep my AC plugs organized; they have timed outlets (with the PF60 I can program which outlets, and how many, are delayed); they give me an idea of what is going on with my power, and I like the way they look, particularly the PF60.

Like BrotherBob, I'll have to leave it to others with more knowledge to say if they really do provide comprehensive protection for your equipment. Regardless, they provide me with some peace of mind and I'd rather have one than not.
If you're looking for the best protection, this is likely your best bet.

Hi Ajax,

Thank you for your comments. Check out this link and tell me what you think about the price. I sent them a email asking how long is the wait time for the back orders.
http://www.dsmiller.com/html/Electronics-Surge-Protectors-Surge-Protectors-AP41300-12.htm#2277
John
That's a heck of a good price John! Nice unit.
Isn't that the unit that Tharkun recently bought?

I still say the Brickwall units will protect better. May not be as pretty though.

Link
That's a GREAT price, John, and exactly what I paid for mine. 27% of MSRP. Everybody is wondering what the heck is going on with the prices. Weird. Should you opt to go with the PF60 I recommend, before you buy, that you give them a call on Monday and confirm that they actually have them in stock, and that the price is correct.

And yes, Craig, that's the unit that Tharkun bought recently.
Really....... something like this is all you need.
Spend the leftover on cds or dvds.
I agree, nothing wrong with Tripplite, as I mentioned in John's other post.

http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StaplesProductDisplay?storeId=10001&noredir=true&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&productId=132149&cmArea=spotlight
John, the best way to protect the electronics, frankly, is to pull the plug out of the wall. A surge suppressor may be of some help for the relatively rare surge strong enough that AV equipment doesn't handle it routinely(which AV equipment is designed to do), but not so strong that everything goes up in smoke. The Tripp-Lite units such as this one do that for a reasonable price.

As to "line conditioning", that's what the transformer, rectifier and filter capacitors in the power supply section of receivers/amplifiers already do. Clean DC is supplied to the amplifying section and no external unit is necessary to do this.
Hi Ajax,

on there website they show that it is on back order, I sent them a email asking how long do they except to be on back order.
Thanks John
John (mincone), I want to echo both JohnK and Bray by saying that the more expensive units, like the PF60, and Monster power centers are NOT necessary. The Triplites would do the job. However, as everybody here knows, I consider "because I like it" and "because I want it" valid reasons for any purchase.

I fear that you will find that the vendor you contacted will not be getting the PF60 back in stock any time soon, at least not at that price. The best price I found for an allegedly "in stock" unit, was at Provantage.com. And while that's nearly double the price you found, it sure beats this price. Got to be a typo.................................I hope!
Would a $20 surge protector be good enough?
In reply to:

it sure beats this price. Got to be a typo.................................I hope!

Hmm, do I want a car or a surge protector?
"Would a $20 surge protector be good enough?"

Yes.
How about one for free. I was able to get a APC when the office was upgrading. I don't need the back-ups, but the surge protection. I have a $35 surge strip plugged into the APC.
© Axiom Message Boards