Axiom Home Page
Posted By: skyhawk669 Questions about my new receiver. - 01/24/06 01:27 AM
Hi guys!

I'm a total HT noob and I finally decided to upgrade my lame HTIB (Kenwood). I'm planning to buy some Axiom speakers pretty soon. I have already bought a new receiver, a Yamaha RX-V2500 and it already makes a big difference! I can't believe how much better those little Kenwood speakers sound! Even the little subwoofer has gotten a big boost from it.

The question I have is why is it that I have to set the level close to -20 -15 dB before I reach I level comparable to my old Kenwood receiver (at around -34db). The difference is that with the Yamaha I can keep increasing the sound where the Kenwood would usually shutdown if I try to push it. For instance in Star Wars Episode II, when Padme's ship blows up on landing in Coruscant anything louder than -32dB would make my old receiver shut down.
Now the Yamaha works fine no matter what I throw at it, I'm just wondering why it needs to be set at a higher level before it matches the old one. Any ideas as to why that is?

Thanks,

Sky
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Questions about my new receiver. - 01/24/06 02:02 AM
The numbers on the volume are just arbitrary. Don't sweat it. They will hardly match up between manufacturers.

Just be happy your new receiver works well!
Posted By: skyhawk669 Re: Questions about my new receiver. - 01/24/06 02:08 AM
Yeah I'm very happy with it. It works great and I can't wait to get some axioms!
I understand that the numbers won't match up, I just was wondering why the Yamaha needs its level to be that high. What is usually the maximum level on a receiver? 0dB? More? Can you tell I don't know much about receivers lol.

Sky
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Questions about my new receiver. - 01/24/06 02:17 AM
Zero is considered "reference" level, but I don't think there is any kind of industry standard to appoint it as such. Usually, by the time you get to "0dB" it's pretty damn loud.

I don't think I'd want to try to find the maximum level on a receiver. My ears might start bleeding before I even get close.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Questions about my new receiver. - 01/24/06 03:23 AM
Cam, welcome. As the previous replies indicated, the setting of the volume control on different receivers is no indication of their relative power capabiliies; it's simply a question of how the control is calibrated by the manufacturer. For example, it's entirely possible that a 60 watt unit would provide a louder sound at its 50% setting than would a 120 watt unit, but the 120 watt unit still would have the capability to play a brief peak 3dB louder.
Posted By: KC23 Re: Questions about my new receiver. - 01/24/06 08:54 PM
I also own the RX-V2500 and it pushes my M60ti's effortlessly. Its a great receiver in my book, but I'm pretty much a noob as well. A lot of people on this board turn their noses up to Yamaha because they don't do well with 4 ohm speakers (M80ti's).

All I know is my M60ti sound absolutely beautiful in my average size living room and I don't even own a sub yet (EP500 my next purchase).

Posted By: skyhawk669 Re: Questions about my new receiver. - 01/25/06 03:44 AM
I'm glad to hear that. I think I will get a pair of M22ti's a VP150 and 2 pairs of QS8's. I'm not sure what subwoofer I'll get (possibly a SVS PB12 ISD).
KC23, at what level do you usually set your RX-V2500 when watching movies?
© Axiom Message Boards