Axiom Home Page
Posted By: 4PiMan Epic-80 Package with the EP-600 subwoofer - 02/24/06 07:40 PM
We are proud owners of the Epic-80 and EP-600 subwoofer. I have had a lot of systems over the years, and I think this system is surely on of the best values on the market.

Nice package congrats, I bet that system rocks
Congrats on the system, nice to have the top of the Axiom line.
Welcome, 4pi. Stick around the forums and lend us the benefit of your wisdom and experience.

What other systems did you own?
Posted By: 4PiMan Re: Epic-80 Package with the EP-600 subwoofer - 02/24/06 08:56 PM
Thank you for the warm welcome. My first set of Hi-Fi speakers was Cerwin-Vega back in the 1970's. Since then, we have tried Boston Acoustics, Koss, Mission, PSB, and I can say these M80's stand up to any of them.

This subwoofer is quite the powerful sub.
Posted By: bray Re: Epic-80 Package with the EP-600 subwoofer - 02/24/06 09:07 PM
Yea.... Please stick around.
So is the EP-600 evreything you thought it would be?
Posted By: 4PiMan Re: Epic-80 Package with the EP-600 subwoofer - 02/24/06 09:23 PM
The EP-600 was really a pleasant surprise. Comparing it to the two PSB Subsonic 7's, each with a 15 inch driver, the EP-600 is a lot more powerful.

The salesman said one of these would be enough, and he was right.
Congrats on a great system! Welcome. Pics and reviews!
congrats....and welcome..
The salesman said one of these would be enough, and he was right.

and two would bring down the house
Cool. Enjoy the rewards putting together a great system
Posted By: 4PiMan Re: Epic-80 Package with the EP-600 subwoofer - 02/24/06 11:38 PM
I don't think I will try to do a review of these speakers other than to say they do rock, they also do jazz, and classical, and movies. My sig other was a bit put off by the subwoofer, but she is getting used to it.

Nice system im a new owner too and I think you will be very happy.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Epic-80 Package with the EP-600 subwoofer - 02/25/06 02:52 AM
4Pi(you're an all-around fellow, eh!)welcome and enjoy.
In reply to:

I don't think I will try to do a review of these speakers other than to say they do rock, they also do jazz, and classical, and movies. My sig other was a bit put off by the subwoofer, but she is getting used to it.

Well said!!!!
In reply to:

Nice package congrats,

Getting a little personal huh? j/k
LOL, you got me there
Posted By: 4PiMan Re: Epic-80 Package with the EP-600 subwoofer - 02/25/06 05:28 AM
This place is warped. I may have to hang around for a while.
Yup, feel free to stick around for all kinds of audio fun!

But for warped, sneak on over to the "water cooler" section where "warped" is often the "order of the day"
Posted By: 4PiMan Re: Epic-80 Package with the EP-600 subwoofer - 02/26/06 06:38 PM
This system is amazing. I had always heard how great the bass is with the animated movie "The Incredibles". Now we know what great bass is. Our old subwoofers were good, but nothing like this.

How does one 12 inch driver cause this much havoc ?
Put in your "Finding Nemo" dvd and find the "Darla Tap" scene.

<<It's a scene in "Finding Nemo" where a Little girl (Darla) taps on the glass of an aquarium. It is an incredible LFE (Low Frequency Effect) which rattles walls, and is considered a good test of a subwoofer's ability.>>
>>How does one 12 inch driver cause this much havoc ?

I think there are two major things :

1. The 600 has a pretty big box and lots of port area. That has to help with the bass output around the tune point (20-ish Hz).

2. Lots of good subs will put out roughly the bass output of the 600, but you can't run them full out because they sound bad when they hit their limits -- but typically you hit the limit at one specific frequency WAY before you hit the limit at the rest of the interesting frequencies.

The 600 just backs off a bit if you hit a section with exactly the wrong frequency and volume, which lets you run happily at a higher volume than most subs will allow and enjoy the greater bass output at the rest of the frequencies.

Something like that, anyways. I guess the 600 watt amplifier doesn't hurt either
Welcome back Craigsub. Someone needs to let John Ashman know about this, I'm sure he'll get a good laugh.
Posted By: 4PiMan Re: Epic-80 Package with the EP-600 subwoofer - 03/02/06 04:33 AM
What ... Do you think you are Columbo or something ?

Rijax e-mailed the day Amie re-instated me as 4PiMan, laughing at the new name. And it was pretty clear a few other guys picked up on it, too.

No, I think even Inspector Clouseau could figure this one out.
Posted By: curtis Re: Epic-80 Package with the EP-600 subwoofer - 03/02/06 04:42 AM
Craig....don't use your real email address, at least hide it. 4PiMan was an easy pickup if you were following that thread on AVS.

Johnny is right....Ashman would have a great time with this.
Posted By: 4PiMan Re: Epic-80 Package with the EP-600 subwoofer - 03/02/06 04:44 AM
Ok ... Now, Johnny, try to follow this ... it was humor. Amie actually set up the new name. She and Ian were rather dismayed at some racial comments which were made, as that was the cause of my sabbatical here.

It was a personal note from them both, and some fun PM's back and forth, the caused the initiation of "4PiMan" ...

The real forum members here will appreciate the new name, for very obvious reaons...
Posted By: 4PiMan Re: Epic-80 Package with the EP-600 subwoofer - 03/02/06 04:47 AM
In reply to:

Craig....don't use your real email address, at least hide it. 4PiMan was an easy pickup if you were following that thread on AVS.

Johnny is right....Ashman would have a great time with this.

Boys ... Amie and I have a "just for fun" bet as to how long "4PiMan" would be anonymous. The mere fact that you two think this is some sort of "gotcha" is laughable.

She guessed 4 days, by the way. You boys need to get out more.
Posted By: curtis Re: Epic-80 Package with the EP-600 subwoofer - 03/02/06 04:52 AM
No gotcha at all, the first time I saw it I laughed and thought to myself "....think if all the ways Ashman could twist this" or any of the other guys that you think have multiple names. That is where it would be entertaining.

You got to admit that would be some fun reading. It could also get very nasty if people didn't see the humor in it, so lets not pollute this board.
Posted By: 4PiMan Re: Epic-80 Package with the EP-600 subwoofer - 03/02/06 04:56 AM
Curtis ... Ashman pretended to be a doctor from Pennsylvana for 2 years so he could shill for NHT.

This moniker was just plain fun. You may well rest assured a LOT of guys here read the name and new immediately who it was.

If it helps, my next name may be "170SEona70footpole" ...

You need to chill out, it was no sort of gotcha. I said it was very easy to spot and I'm sure the regulars noticed too. Well since I was the first to post it, what do I win.
Posted By: curtis Re: Epic-80 Package with the EP-600 subwoofer - 03/02/06 05:01 AM
I'm sure a lot of guys here caught of the bat, especially if they followed the AVS thread.

No matter why Ashman did his name change for, he could have fun with this.....like I said though, others would make it nasty.
Posted By: 4PiMan Re: Epic-80 Package with the EP-600 subwoofer - 03/02/06 05:01 AM
Johnny ... When you mention Mr. Ashman, you are posting a gotcha. Had you guys posted something nice, like a sincere laugh, it would be different. And let us be clear, he is not a nice person.

However, since you now want to be nice - which is a good thing, your prize is this: send a PM to Rijax/.Ajax, since he figured this out about 10 minutes after my first post, and ask him ...
Posted By: curtis Re: Epic-80 Package with the EP-600 subwoofer - 03/02/06 05:02 AM
Seriously though....you should hide you email address. Just smart not to have it out in the open.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Epic-80 Package with the EP-600 subwoofer - 03/02/06 05:04 AM
Curtis, Craig would have to assume a false name, pretend to be a doctor, market a B&M brand of speaker in nearly every thread he posted in, and rip Axioms as often as possible, for several years to equal John. John would have a lot of gall to goad Craig about this little masquerade.
Posted By: curtis Re: Epic-80 Package with the EP-600 subwoofer - 03/02/06 05:05 AM
I hope it didn't take Jack 10 minutes to figure it out.....I would think he got it in an instant after seeing the name. I know I did, and yes I got a good laugh.
Posted By: curtis Re: Epic-80 Package with the EP-600 subwoofer - 03/02/06 05:07 AM
oh come on.....laugh at the possibilities Ashman could post....no matter if true or false.
Posted By: 4PiMan Re: Epic-80 Package with the EP-600 subwoofer - 03/02/06 05:08 AM
Curtis, it is my company e-mail address. There are about 9 million people with it. I honestly appreciate the concern - but the filters on this account toss out over 2500 e-mails daily.

Now, here is a REALLY good question. I have had a thread going for a full month longer than I have been 4PiMan here.

The goal is to raise $5000 for finding a cure for leukemia, it would seem like you and Johnny would have found that by now, with your diligent detective work. We are about 1/2 way there.
I'm no good with emoticons, I actually noticed a few days ago, but am having trouble posting here with my firewall.
Posted By: 4PiMan Re: Epic-80 Package with the EP-600 subwoofer - 03/02/06 05:11 AM
Johnny - the smiley things are a pain in the A$$ here.

There is a listing in FAQ... And Jack knows how to post pretty much anything. He even has "mooning" smileys.

Posted By: Ajax Re: Epic-80 Package with the EP-600 subwoofer - 03/02/06 05:12 AM
Strangely, I've never found John's posts to be humorous.
Posted By: curtis Re: Epic-80 Package with the EP-600 subwoofer - 03/02/06 05:13 AM
oh come on....laugh!

Diligent detective work? Now we know why the youth think reading is hard work.
Posted By: 4PiMan Re: Epic-80 Package with the EP-600 subwoofer - 03/02/06 05:15 AM
You know - I thought for sure that Peter would be the first to "bust" me publically. Anyone who knows Peter knows he know the real identity within 0.2 seconds.

Apparently, Peter has a certain elegance to his personality that he likes to keep hidded, as he said nothing.

Pretty cool.

Posted By: curtis Re: Epic-80 Package with the EP-600 subwoofer - 03/02/06 05:16 AM
In reply to:

Strangely, I've never found John's posts to be humorous.

Oh come on...he is a walking billboard for what he sells. Do you notice that since he has an NHT thread going on AVS he has left everythingelse alone? That cracks me up.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Epic-80 Package with the EP-600 subwoofer - 03/02/06 05:18 AM
In honor of winter.

Funny, having gotten used to the do-it-yourself-smilies here, I find them easier than using the ones at other forums.
Posted By: 4PiMan Re: Epic-80 Package with the EP-600 subwoofer - 03/02/06 05:18 AM
Curtis, "diligent detective work" was more humor. Of ALL the people in the forums, who else would come up with "4PiMan" ?

We STILL miss you in the raffle, though. Johnny, too.

Heck, I would like to do a raffle later this year with Ascend Speakers. Fostering good will never goes out of style - and David makes WONDERFUL stuff.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Epic-80 Package with the EP-600 subwoofer - 03/02/06 05:22 AM
In reply to:

Of ALL the people in the forums, who else would come up with "4PiMan" ?

John (Jakeman)?
Posted By: curtis Re: Epic-80 Package with the EP-600 subwoofer - 03/02/06 05:30 AM
Craig, you know what I have done for charity, and I appreciated your donation as well. I will be doing the event again this year.

Unlike you, I can't give to every charity that comes around.

I hope you are not trying to degrade this thread into a "who" and "who has not" participated in your raffle.

Nice for you to mention Ascend and David as well.

Interesting, those above two topics have nothing to do with the humor.

You just got to laugh.
Posted By: 4PiMan Re: Epic-80 Package with the EP-600 subwoofer - 03/02/06 05:36 AM
Curtis ... I never said you did nothing for charity. Let's not kid ourselves, though. Do you think anyone buys the idea that you and Johnny just happened to show up here together ?

I just find it dismaying that the two of you chimed in here, in a forum for which you have never supported, though the members here have welcomed you, and yet you ignore something of real value, such as the thread on AV123.

Had you both read this, smiled, and said nothing, fine. But you both knew why you posted here.

You could have PM'ed me. You could have posted without bringing up the ONE guy who bashes this product at every turn: Ashman.

You both elected not to.
Posted By: 4PiMan Re: Epic-80 Package with the EP-600 subwoofer - 03/02/06 05:38 AM
In reply to:

John (Jakeman)?

Jack ... Not John's type of humor. Good guess, though ...
Posted By: curtis Re: Epic-80 Package with the EP-600 subwoofer - 03/02/06 05:50 AM
Actually, I have been checking this thread every once in a while to see if someone would post something.

Catching it after Johnny's post was coincidence, I laughed, and I also wanted to advise you of hiding your email address. As for never supporting this forum, I think you will find there are others that think otherwise....I was on this forum long before you were.

If you think we conspired...fine. But don't throw the charity thing at us.

I hardly read AV123 anymore...I have lost interest in their forum.

If you can't laugh, and would rather take shots at my integrity, so be it and fire away....we can let this be your way of not seeing the humor.

Interesting how these degrade.
Posted By: 4PiMan Re: Epic-80 Package with the EP-600 subwoofer - 03/02/06 12:13 PM
Curtis, This whole idea was for humor.

I have been using the same e-mail address, which has been publically posted in my "craigsub" profile for 2 years.Thanks for suddenly caring, though. I really appreciate it ...

Posted By: bray Re: Epic-80 Package with the EP-600 subwoofer - 03/02/06 12:54 PM
I wished I had pointed it out after the 1st "4pi" post, then maybe this wouldnt have turned into a pissing match.
Personally, I'm glad you're back Craig, no matter what name you post under.
And I do think it is mildly funny.
Posted By: 4PiMan Re: Epic-80 Package with the EP-600 subwoofer - 03/02/06 01:45 PM
Bray - Ian amd Amie sent a very nice note while they were on vacation, and we also chatted about a few things over the phone. Of course, my reason for the sabbatical had nothing to do with either of them - and getting into the exact reason will serve no real purpose.

From now on, when people get fiesty ... my response will be along the line of this .. "Stare at her for 5 minutes, then tell me what you are upset about" ...

Unless, of course, Spiffnme is mad at me. Spiff, this Bud's for you ...

Posted By: Ken.C Re: Epic-80 Package with the EP-600 subwoofer - 03/02/06 03:05 PM
OK, I don't get any of it, but why the hell is everyone so pissed off all the sudden? It seems like there's nothing to be yelling about here...

--self appointed mod brain trust
Posted By: Ajax Re: Epic-80 Package with the EP-600 subwoofer - 03/02/06 03:09 PM
You're right, Ken. There is nothing to be yelling about here.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Epic-80 Package with the EP-600 subwoofer - 03/02/06 03:11 PM
I feel tainted, like a little bit of AVS was dragged through here and left a vile stench.
Posted By: curtis Re: Epic-80 Package with the EP-600 subwoofer - 03/02/06 03:41 PM
pissing match or no pissing match......like I said earlier, the possibilities here are hilarious.
4PiMan,

You got me! Glad your back.

Bug
© Axiom Message Boards