Axiom Home Page
Posted By: jandawil EP-500 and QS8 placement - 02/28/06 04:31 PM
Hey everyone. I just got my EP-500 and 4 QS8s to go with my M80's and have a couple questions. First...where are you finding the best SW placement is or what are your tricks for placement and dialing them in. As of now I have the crossover at bypass and gain at about 75%, but I want to place it in the best place.

Also...the QS8's are stinking heavy!!! I'm sure that is a good thing. Any tricks to hanging on walls?? Will these need a stud to hang on or will drywall anchors work? I do have double DW so maybe that will help. Any thoughts??
Posted By: HomeDad Re: EP-500 and QS8 placement - 02/28/06 04:42 PM
Try this LINK
Posted By: KC23 Re: EP-500 and QS8 placement - 02/28/06 04:54 PM
Put the subwoofer at the listening position in the room. Get on your hands and knees and crawl around the room to the different positions where you could practically put your new subwoofer.

Once you've found the best spot, put the subwoofer there and you go sit in the listening spot.

Posted By: jandawil Re: EP-500 and QS8 placement - 02/28/06 05:52 PM
I did read that article and will try that once my room is finished. Any thoughts on the QS8s??
Posted By: bridgman Re: EP-500 and QS8 placement - 02/28/06 05:58 PM
I mounted QS8s on thin cheap wood panelling without studs. Worked fine, but I used more screws than Axiom provides in the package... try to get at least 4 or 5 screws in and make sure you don't drill the hole for the wall anchor too big.

The T-bracket is nice in the sense that it pulls straight down, not out, and drywall is pretty strong as long as you don't pull out.
Posted By: darthkringle Re: EP-500 and QS8 placement - 02/28/06 06:02 PM
The crawl for bass is the best advice. One question for the seasoned board members: When "crawling for bass", does the sub only need to be in the listening position on the same horizontal plane or does it also need to be elevated vertically to ear level?
Posted By: bugbitten Re: EP-500 and QS8 placement - 02/28/06 08:43 PM
My QS8s are screwed directly to the drywall with plastic anchors. No problem
Posted By: jandawil Re: EP-500 and QS8 placement - 02/28/06 08:49 PM
That's good to hear. Thanks!!
Posted By: hashts Re: EP-500 and QS8 placement - 02/28/06 10:10 PM
Just to let you know, the directions for the QS8 mounting state to use studs. I considered mounting on the walls/sheetrock but chose to get some FO stands instead.
Posted By: iluvmovies Re: EP-500 and QS8 placement - 02/28/06 10:54 PM
Sheet rock vibrates and slowly cracks, one 2.5' screw in the
stud can't be that hard to do.
dg
Posted By: varkha Re: EP-500 and QS8 placement - 03/01/06 12:59 AM
Just make sure that at least one of the screws go to the stud and that should be enough. Idially you would want the vertical of the "T" to be aligned with a stud and then mount the remaining screws on the sides using plastic anchors.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: EP-500 and QS8 placement - 03/01/06 01:08 AM
Don't sweat it too much. We were just discussing this in another thread. If you use E-Z Anchors (or similarly well-engineered products), you'll be fine even without a stud. At least, that has been my experience.
Posted By: bridgman Re: EP-500 and QS8 placement - 03/01/06 06:21 PM
There is no question -- if you CAN use studs that is definitely the way to go.

My old house seems to have been built before there were building codes, and as far as I can see does not really HAVE studs except in the corners and the supporting walls ;(
© Axiom Message Boards