Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Richie M80s powered by 1100 watt amplifier! :-) - 03/04/06 11:44 PM
My QSC SRA 3622 amplifier arrived a few days ago. My front M80s are now enjoying 1100 watts per channel at 4ohms! This is a major power upgrade from the Denon 3805's rated 120 wpc. I can now listen to music at ear splitting levels without any clipping or distortion. I am very happy with the QSC amp. Compared to the Denon, there is a distinct improvement in bass, even at low volume levels. At all levels, the sound is crisp and clear. In the past, at high volume levels, certain sounds would become 'muddy'. Not any more!

The QSC amp is quiet and powerful. The amp's fans are silent. There is no hum, no audible sound in the system. It has RCA inputs, unlike the other pro amps that have XLR or 1/4 inch inputs. I was able to use my existing cables.

I am now seriously looking at getting two more amps for my center and surround speakers. I don't need 1100 watts for those channels. I think I will settle for a 300-600 watt amp! :-)
I first read your post as "M80s powered by 100 watt amplifier" and figured "so what ?", almost didn't read it.

1100 watts is a different story. I bet that sounds great !!
Posted By: leeroy Re: M80s powered by 1100 watt amplifier! :-) - 03/05/06 12:53 AM
Dont you risk damaging your speakers with that much juice or is that just its peak ower. looking for an amp myself
Posted By: HomeDad Re: M80s powered by 1100 watt amplifier! :-) - 03/05/06 12:59 AM
Thats alot of juice, but I believe in testing the M80's were able to handle that much power, I don't know if my ears could handle it though. I"m running 300 watts at 4 ohms and thats plenty loud enough.
Posted By: Richie Re: M80s powered by 1100 watt amplifier! :-) - 03/05/06 06:00 AM
The M80s were tested at 1200 watts according to this article by Alan Lofft.

http://www.axiomaudio.com/archives/power.html

Axiom tech support had told me in the past that I could easily drive them at 1000 watts even though they are rated for 400 watts.

I have not actually turned up the volume high enough to light up the clipping lights on the QSC amp. But the 1100 watt QSC provides a lot of headroom, especially for sound effects like gunfire! I don't think I will damage the speakers by listening to music at reasonably loud levels, even though I have a large HT room.
Posted By: ratpack Re: M80s powered by 1100 watt amplifier! :-) - 03/05/06 02:26 PM
WOW!!!! Have you measured the sound level with a meter? I suspect that you may be at levels where you risk damaging your ears. No joke!!!
I think the idea is to stay away from the power limits of the amplifier and get cleaner sound, not to just say "woo hoo, 1100 watts now I can crank it up another 10dB or whatever"
Richie,

Wow! I believe you can DJ for large parties now!

I'll give you a WooHooo!
Posted By: Richie Re: M80s powered by 1100 watt amplifier! :-) - 03/06/06 05:32 AM
I have not actually measured sound levels with a SPL meter. My HT room is fairly large - about 60x20x9 cft. I need a lot of amp power to fill up the room with sound! I don't listen to music at levels that would damage my hearing! :-)
Posted By: Richie Re: M80s powered by 1100 watt amplifier! :-) - 03/06/06 05:34 AM
Yup! I think I will start moonlighting as a DJ! I now have the amps to do it!
>>My HT room is fairly large - about 60x20x9

Sixty ? Six Zero ?
Maybe he just knocked down all the walls in his house.

That room is huge.

In reply to:

Maybe he just knocked down all the walls in his house.

...with a sledgehammer or with an ep600?

I think either one would be quite effective!
I couldn't agree with you more. And let me say that a pair of ep600's will rock the house!
And I thought my 30' x 30' x 9' room was big, dang.
Posted By: Richie Re: M80s powered by 1100 watt amplifier! :-) - 03/06/06 06:51 PM
Yes. 60 ft x 20 ft x 9 ft. That 1100 watt amplifier will come in handy at my next party! :-)
Damn that makes my Sunfire 600 Watt amp look like a wimp!!!
© Axiom Message Boards