Axiom Home Page
Posted By: jimmienorton Power Filters/Conditioners - 03/08/06 06:14 PM
Is it worth it? Thinking of getting one and need a little help.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Power Filters/Conditioners - 03/08/06 06:47 PM
I'm not sure if there is any substantial benefit sonically, I use mine mainly for it's surge protection, switching cababilities, and guarantee.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Power Filters/Conditioners - 03/08/06 08:48 PM
Only you can decide if it's "worth it." I use a Belkin PureAV PF60. I would never tell you that it has any affect on the sound of my system or on my HDTV's picture. But, it looks good, has 12 outlets, has programmable outlets, has switched outlets, has delayed outlets, provides a litle peace of mind regarding surge protection, and I got it for a ridiculously low price a few months ago. I like it. To me, it's "worth it." YMMV.

Posted By: SirQuack Re: Power Filters/Conditioners - 03/08/06 09:08 PM
Many will say it is not worth it, but I argue why reputable companies like Tripplite that have been in business for 40+ years would lie about the technology.

With that said, I love my Tripplite HTPowerBar10
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Power Filters/Conditioners - 03/08/06 09:46 PM
Ajax, you're worth it.
Posted By: KC23 Re: Power Filters/Conditioners - 03/08/06 10:35 PM
Monster3500MkII are the best bang for the buck right now IMHO. I just bought one. Well under $200 for a Stage 3 10 outlet protector.

Looks nice, works well.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Power Filters/Conditioners - 03/08/06 11:37 PM

Posted By: RickF Re: Power Filters/Conditioners - 03/08/06 11:46 PM
I really like the little warning label on the back of my Monster HTS2600 ... 'In the event of lightening, unplug the unit'

I use mine only for the purpose of having a tidy place to plug everything into except for my amps, which go directly into the 20 amp dedicated wall outlet.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Power Filters/Conditioners - 03/09/06 12:43 AM
Skip, if you're talking about a so-called "power conditioner" rather than a surge suppressor which is available for $20-$30, the answer is no, it isn't worth it in nearly all circumstances. The power supply section of receiver/amplifiers has a transformer, rectifier and filter capacitors which "condition" the AC from the wall outlet and supply clean DC for the amplifier section to use; nothing more should be necessary.
Posted By: ratpack Re: Power Filters/Conditioners - 03/09/06 04:16 AM
I totally agree with John. A surge protector is "necessary" if want to protect your gear from a nearby lightning strike rippling down the power lines. We have lightning all the time here in Alabama. As for a power conditioner, unless your local power company provides very "crummy" regulated power, you just don't need it.
Posted By: jimmienorton Re: Power Filters/Conditioners - 03/09/06 11:15 AM
thanks for all your help, I do have a Monster strip with level 2. No need to upgrade.
© Axiom Message Boards