Axiom Home Page
Posted By: INANE Used DLP? - 03/22/06 04:46 AM
I've wanted to get a new TV for years but haven't had the cash to do it till now. That said I don't have a lot of it either

Basically I have the opportunity to pickup a used (~3 years) Samsung 50inch DLP (Generation 1) for $825.

Now I am really leaning towards doing this. The main downside's I've thought of is I wanted bigger, in my room I think anything below 55inchs might look a tad small. Then there is the bulb, never been changed but if/when it goes out thats just a lil more than $200 from my understanding. I guess my plan is to use this set for ~3 years and get a new one once/if SED's have taken off and gotten more affordable.

Some of my friends don't believe I could find much out there (new) with a better picture quality at 50inchs or more for under a grand.

Being those DLP's are 720p apeals to be because my primary signal source for the TV will be my HTPC (MCE 2005) and using a windows desktop on an interlaced TV just isn't pretty (flicker). Granted thats only for if I want to do things like browse the web, its a non issue in the HTPC interface so its just a minor pro.

I guess I'm just looking for any major reasons to not do this, anything I haven't considered or thought of.
Posted By: INANE Re: Used DLP? - 03/26/06 06:28 AM
I guess it must be a really good idea since nobody has said anything to the contrary.

Well I went to check it out today in person and its about what I expected. I know I can be happy with it for a few years, esp considering how much money I will save now. Just wish it was 5 inchs or so bigger, but ya can't have everything.
Posted By: richeydog Re: Used DLP? - 03/26/06 06:41 AM
That last sentence is just TMI...

Ben, sounds like a good score to me. Where did you buy the tv?
Posted By: alan Re: Used DLP? - 03/26/06 02:00 PM
Hi Inane,

Seems like a good plan for a modest outlay of funds.

Regards,
Posted By: INANE Re: Used DLP? - 03/27/06 03:11 AM
Friend of my father. Right now I have an old 50inch Mits SDTV that I actually got free from the same guy.

When I was over there checking out the Samsung I asked him what he was going to be getting, so I know what my next TV after this is going to be LOL.
Posted By: INANE Pix - 05/01/06 12:10 AM
Welp, this weekend I took ownership, figured I'd post a quick picture. This is under construction as I simply pulled the old TV out and put this in its place (using a VGA cable to the HTPC till my DVI shows up).

I'm having a stand built for it in the next few weeks and I need to move the cabinets around a little bit to recenter everything. Once I get everything together I'll take some better pictures and share.

Interestingly, I think I like the sound of my VP150 better under the TV then on top of it as I had it before.

This stand I am having build, I still need to figure out how I'm going to have the center channel in it. I guess I just should have the design with open sides so it doesn't act as another enclosure?
Posted By: keend0 Re: Pix - 05/01/06 01:11 AM
Congratulations, looks great!

Post a picture of the stand once it is built. I am considering building one soon.
Posted By: Tharkun Re: Pix - 05/01/06 02:08 AM
Congrats on the new toy, enjoy !!
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Pix - 05/01/06 07:54 AM
Very nice, looks like you got a great deal.
© Axiom Message Boards