Axiom Home Page
Posted By: mark4583 QS8 Placements - 03/28/06 01:12 AM
Just ordered the QS8's now I need to figure out how I need to place.
Due to windows I cant mount on the wall and Im affraid they will get knocked over if I used floor stands so Im looking to make me some mounts that come down from the ceillings.
So im thinking I need at least a foot from the top of the speaker, How high above the seated level would you think I would get the best performance?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: QS8 Placements - 03/28/06 01:42 AM
sirquack, a forum member, rigged up an ingenious mounting system that uses hardware shelf brackets. You can see one of his many posts about it here.

You don't need more than a few inches of clearance. The QS8s are designed for to thrwo the sound around the room, so early reflections don't adversely affect them.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: QS8 Placements - 03/28/06 03:04 AM
Wow! Ingenious, I'm starting to get a big head. lol

Yep, I found these shelf brackets at Menards, that had a gloss black plastic cap that snaps onto the backside. Worked pretty slick, I was able to hide the speaker wires inside that came out of the ceiling locations. I also made sure I screwed at least 2 screws (1.5") into the rafters as the Q's are pretty heavy. Of course, I had all my speaker wires pre-run to the locations, before we finished the basement.

Posted By: newkid2005 Re: QS8 Placements - 03/28/06 03:17 AM
did u have to screw the bracket to the speaker ?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: QS8 Placements - 03/28/06 03:52 AM
The QS8s have an integtrated mount point and bolt. I'm sure sirquack just used the existing bolt and hole and just threaded it through the bracket.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: QS8 Placements - 03/28/06 03:59 AM
Yep, your right Peter, however, the hole in the metal bracket was just a tad smaller than the threaded hex bolt, so I had to bore it out just a bit with a drill bit and my DeWalt Cordless drill.
Posted By: newkid2005 Re: QS8 Placements - 03/28/06 04:34 AM
who makes the product ?

Posted By: SirQuack Re: QS8 Placements - 03/28/06 04:38 AM
You've got me, I just picked them up at a local Menards home improvement store. I'm sure Home Depot or Lowes might have the same brackets. All they are is an L shaped shelf bracket made of very heavy gauge steel. The plastic cover just snaps on to the back, covering the metal and making it look more presentable if you used them for shelves.

If I recall, they made 2-3 sizes.
Posted By: newkid2005 Re: QS8 Placements - 03/28/06 04:51 AM
thanks for the info..i will try local home depot here and see what i can find

© Axiom Message Boards