Axiom Home Page
Posted By: ChicagoTC Underwhelmed with SVS 25-31PCI - 04/06/06 09:22 PM
So I recently purchased a SVS 25-31PCI tuned to 22hz. It's been calibrated with avia and a SPL meter. After about 2 weeks of in home use I'm pretty underwhelmed.

My room size is 20*12*7. Maybe I was expecting too much. It definitely puts out bass, but nothing to bring pictures down from the wall as I hear others mentioning. It's definitely not bass I can feel. When I crank up the gain, the bass becomes so localized it's distracting.

Any advice? Was I expecting too much? Is the sub too small for my room? I still have the box do I send back? Get another? Help!
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Underwhelmed with SVS 25-31PCI - 04/06/06 09:26 PM
What were you using prior to the SVS?

Posted By: BassTek Re: Underwhelmed with SVS 25-31PCI - 04/06/06 09:35 PM
Did you move it around a bit to find the proper placement for your room?
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Underwhelmed with SVS 25-31PCI - 04/06/06 09:35 PM
Room placement can play a part in this as well. Experiment a little. I have the PCi 20-39 and I have it at about 30% of max volume and it is loud. I have a home theater area in my basement so I have a lot of air volume to push around (the half of the basement that is used by this is about 12x45x8, and the whole open basement area is about 900 sq feet (7200 cu feet) and I feel the bass at that setting and that is without it seeming to be "cranked up" or anything.

You have pretty much the same sub components as mine, but mine is a little tall and can go a little deeper, but you should be feeling the place shake.

Posted By: ChicagoTC Re: Underwhelmed with SVS 25-31PCI - 04/06/06 09:37 PM
An old bad JBL PB-12. I've moved it around as much as the room allows. I'm pretty limited in options. It will ping the SPL meter but I don't feel the bass as much as hear it.

I've heard the expression car audio bass in the past. I know it's nearly impossible in a much bigger room, but I was expecting better then what I have now.
Posted By: real80sman Re: Underwhelmed with SVS 25-31PCI - 04/06/06 10:00 PM
Tom, as they say in real estate - It's all about Location, location, location. Walk around the room while it's playing. I'm sure there are spots (especially near the outer walls) where the bass is over powering, and definitly kicks you in the chest. When I first got my EP600, I plopped it down where the old sub was. The system is on the main floor, open concept. (A little over 10,000 cu ft) In the "sweet spot" - there was absolutely no bass whatsoever. In fact, the entire couch seemed to be in a bass null. Move to a chair that was FAR off centre and on an outside wall, and you couldn't sit there the pressure was so strong. It took 3 tries in completely different locations to get it right. Even though the 600 is infinitely better than the old sub, I found it extremely harder to place.

Any way of posting pics or drawings of the layout?
Posted By: ChicagoTC Re: Underwhelmed with SVS 25-31PCI - 04/06/06 10:18 PM
Here you go

did this in about 5 mins with visio so it's a bit ugly
Posted By: WhatFurrer Re: Underwhelmed with SVS 25-31PCI - 04/06/06 10:35 PM
TC,

Try physically setting the sub in the "Sweet Spot". Then play a DVD or CD with a recognizable bass segment on repeat. The Menu for "Lost in Space" or "Godzilla" do a good job. As the DVD or CD plays, literally crawl around the perimeter of the room, even back near the stairwell, etc...and listen for the most bass. You will probably find more than one spot. The one with the best bass will be where you would "want" to put the sub provided the room or furniture will allow...that is why you keep track of the other locations...you may have to settle for the second best spot or third...may also consider re-arranging the furniture...

When you have found the spot, put the sub there and re-calibrate...

An additional observation: I had one of the SVS tubes as well but my room was 13 X 18 and I was told by Tom at SVS that the 20-39 PC Plus would be the best for my room...your room looks a bit bigger than mine and so you may need more sub...A call to SVS may also help to figure out if you need more...they will not attempt to oversell you...similar customer service to Axiom...

My 20-39 PC Plus would rattle doors and knock figurines off the walls with the gain only up about a quarter...not to mention scare my son and his friends with the T-Rex fight against the Spinosaurus in Jurassic Park III.

Talk to SVS...

Hope this helps.

WhatFurrer

PS: I now own an SVS PB 12/2 Plus.
Posted By: ChicagoTC Re: Underwhelmed with SVS 25-31PCI - 04/07/06 01:34 AM
updated drawing of basement theater, with accurate dimensions.

Some additional features. The floors are all Pergo wood, the walls are painted paneling. It's basically a half basement, 5ft below ground level with 7' ceilings.
Posted By: INANE Re: Underwhelmed with SVS 25-31PCI - 04/07/06 01:51 AM
This is in a basement? Concrete is not a friend of huge sounding bass. I'm currently battling this fact. I built a DIY sub recently to replace an old (crappy) DIY box I had. Let's just say when you are upstairs it sounds like the house is falling apart but downstairs, esp in the sweet spot is very underwelming. I'm just as disapointed as you sounded like in your org post.
Posted By: Wid Re: Underwhelmed with SVS 25-31PCI - 04/07/06 01:55 AM
I have a Hsu STF 3 on carpet over concrete and have had very good results. When we put in new carpet and changed the room around I had to work at getting the placement right but once it was right the sound is very good.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Underwhelmed with SVS 25-31PCI - 04/07/06 02:09 AM
CTC, considering the room dimensions, having the sub in the right corner just a few inches from the walls is highly likely to be the best location. So, although you may be looking for a different answer, my thought at this point would be yes, your expectations weren't realistic. Keep in mind that the sub, when properly calibrated, isn't supposed to be heard as a separate sound source, but that the impression should be that it isn't working and the other speakers are putting out more bass.
Posted By: ChicagoTC Re: Underwhelmed with SVS 25-31PCI - 04/07/06 08:29 PM
What typically is a better location? I always thought an outside wall corner was usually best. Tonight, I'll play some sub tones and play the crawl around the room game. Due to furniture, bar, tv, couches, etc I really don't have any other place I can put it.

I sent an email to SVS with the picture. I'd love to move to a PB12/2 for $350 more if that will do the trick in my room.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Underwhelmed with SVS 25-31PCI - 04/07/06 09:21 PM
I don't think the problem is the sub. I'm running a 20-39PC+ but I wouldn't expect a huge difference if you and I traded subs. As everyone is saying, location of sub and listener is the big variable, and every room is a bit different.

I would try putting the sub right behind the sofa (buy a long cable) if you want a simple change that will probably make a huge difference, but doing a sub crawl (sub in the listening position, walk around until you find the bass, put the sub there) is the best solution.

Several people have reported finding the bass output in odd locations; I think Alan found that his room channeled all the bass into a closet... Tharkun found all the bass in a computer room around the corner from his listening room... etc...

Don't give up yet.
Posted By: ChicagoTC Re: Underwhelmed with SVS 25-31PCI - 04/07/06 09:33 PM
Thanks bridgman. It's not clear from the diagram, but I did try the sub in the corner where the couches meet. It's an L-shaped couch and there is enough corner space for it. I think it actually was worse in that location.

I'll need to try the sub crawl tonight!

Posted By: Wid Re: Underwhelmed with SVS 25-31PCI - 04/08/06 01:29 AM

Have you run any frequency sweeps with the new sub? Sometimes we get used to a bloated bass and when we get a sub that has clean deep bass it doesn't sound as if there is enough.
Posted By: deadline Re: Underwhelmed with SVS 25-31PCI - 04/09/06 02:36 PM
expecting my new svs 25-31pci to arrive tomorrow and really hope that you were able to resolve your probem.i was under the impression that svs makes
quality subs even at it's low end level. my axiom center and surround speakers are expected to arrive on tuesday so i'm sure i'll be reading alot more posts about setting every thing up with my new 2807.
Posted By: ChicagoTC Re: Underwhelmed with SVS 25-31PCI - 04/09/06 05:26 PM
Don't read too much into my original posts. SVS makes great products across the line. Their service is top notch as well.

I'm fighting a some issues with my setup. One is the concrete floor under my Pergo, definitely not the best scenario. Two, I'm very limited in placement options. I can use the corner it's currently in, or the corner behind my couches, that's about it. Three, turns out my room is bigger then I initially thought my open staircase to the upstairs added to this.

Probably the biggest issue is my expectations I had upgrading from my old JLB PB12. I figured an SVS sub with a similar size driver would dramatically improve my bass just due to the SVS quality. For the "shake your insides" bass I want I'll need to upgrade.

I'm currently in contact with SVS to work out an exchange and they are willing to work with me on shipping costs.

Right now I'm looking at the 25-31+ since it's the same size as my current 25-31pci with a better driver and much bigger amp. Or if space allows PB12-ISD/2, here I'm getting dual 12" drivers and a 600 watt amp.
Posted By: ChicagoTC Re: Underwhelmed with SVS 25-31PCI - 04/10/06 03:03 PM
Here is what I got back from SVS

" All things considered, I think the PB12-isd/2 will be just what you are looking for here. In 25hz mode…it will extend almost as deeply as the 25-31PCi(22hz) you have now…and it will provide 6-8dB more clean output. (or, almost the same as 2.5 to 3 25-31PCi subs..:) In 20hz mode, it will extend a little lower, and still have a 4-6dB advantage in output capabilities...:)"

I was suprised to see it would take 2.5-3 25pcis to get the output of a single PB12-isd/2.
Posted By: ChicagoTC Re: Underwhelmed with SVS 25-31PCI - 04/21/06 05:43 PM
Update:

SVS has the Plus drivers in stock. I pulled the trigger and ordered the PB12+/2 today. Should arrive end of next week. I'll have the 25-31 for a day or so as well. I'll be sure to report side/side tests.

© Axiom Message Boards