Axiom Home Page
Posted By: canesfan Question for Axiom owners - 04/07/06 05:19 AM
Hello all! I was wanting to know what receiver or separates some of you are using to power your axiom speakers. I'm thinking about ordering a pair of the M80's which are 4ohm. I'm probably going to go with separates. Anyone that has the M80's running these with a receiver? If so which one? I like to listen to movies LOUD. Any comments will be appreciated. Thanks.
Posted By: Richie Re: Question for Axiom owners - 04/07/06 05:34 AM
I was using a Denon 3805 for all the Axiom speakers in my 5.1 system. The Denon amp has a robust power supply and had no problems with my four 4ohm M80s. But I have a large HT room and like to listen to music and movies at high sound levels. So now I have three separate amps for the speakers! You can see the specs below in my sig. I am now a happy camper! The Axiom speakers have really opened up with the powerful amps. I get crystal clear sound even at very high volume levels! :-)
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Question for Axiom owners - 04/07/06 05:44 AM
The M80's work well with Denon recievers and many of the other upper end recievers used by many on this board, I was driving mine with the Denon 3805, for movies it would play louder than I could listen to. I use an amp now only because I have a very large open space, and for music if I'm in other parts of the house I can still listen fairly loud.

Posted By: spiffnme Re: Question for Axiom owners - 04/07/06 06:24 AM
I love my rotel separates. I use the RSP-1066 processor and the RMB-1075 amp. Good stuff.

Posted By: Wid Re: Question for Axiom owners - 04/07/06 10:16 AM

I use a Rotel RB1080 to power my M80s.
Posted By: Spoiler Re: Question for Axiom owners - 04/07/06 10:36 AM
I use a 3805 in a 12 X 15 room (left side open to rest of house). I often listen at 100 db (RS analog meter, A setting, about 10' from speakers). Let's just say I'm sufficiently blown away on a regular basis with clean, powerful sound from these M80's. Mind you, I don't listen at that level for long periods of time, (why would you want to?) but the 3805 handles whatever I throw at it with ease. It does get warm to hot when I'm cranking it, but it hasn't gone into protect mode once.

If you have a significantly larger room and/or like it even louder, seperates may be for you.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Question for Axiom owners - 04/07/06 01:28 PM
I am using a Pioneer Elite 54TX for my M60s and it will drive the M80s no problem as well. It is well built, solid components, and has had good reviews in home theater mags and websites. The newer 74TX has even gotten better reviews.

With that said, you will find that if you search the forums for the subject, most threads like this will have the first responders naming off their gear, and then someone coming in and saying what I am about to say.

As long as you are getting a receiver in the $500+ range, that is comparible in price (meaining, you may not be able to compare a $650 receiver with a $2500 one), and as long as it has the looks and features that you want, you should be just find no matter what brand you pick. This was advice that I received, and so has many other people. If you go less than the "$500" lower limit, you may be disapointed, and may, actually, not be able to drive the M80s.

Now keep in mind that those are generalized statements. There are always exceptions to the rule, yada, yada, yada...

I think someone did a poll here a while back on who used what people were using. You will find a lot of Denon users here (as well as others) and they all seem happy with what they have. The real complaints that you will find are with the lower end $200 receivers.

Good luck. It is a significant decision, but not a "make or break" decision (you'll be happy in the end if you follow the general rule above).
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Question for Axiom owners - 04/07/06 01:49 PM

PorterPlex setup:
Room approx 30' x 30' x 9'
Axiom M60's VP150 EP500 4-Qs8's
Denon 2805
Custom Ahanix HTPC
Sanyo Z2 Projector WXGA
Prismasonic H600M Anamorphic lens
Custom Dazian 51" x 120" 2.35AR screen
Cables purchased from Monoprice.com

Posted By: dllewel Re: Question for Axiom owners - 04/07/06 03:28 PM
Dennon, HK (Harman Kardon), and Lexicon are some brands of receivers that should do fine with the M80s.

I use my M80s in a 13'x23' room. I have a Lexicon RV-8 Receiver rated at 140 wpc. It has no problem driving the room to 110 to 115 dB.
Posted By: bugbitten Re: Question for Axiom owners - 04/07/06 07:51 PM
Denon 3805 with Outlaw monobocks across the front.

Don't have to have them, but with them the whole house rocks!
Posted By: michael_d Re: Question for Axiom owners - 04/08/06 05:46 PM
HK 7300 for my 80's. Was a Rotel 1080.

Both drive them nicely.
© Axiom Message Boards