Axiom Home Page
Posted By: LHawes Slim Devices New 'Transporter' - 07/25/06 01:02 AM
What do you think?

http://www.slimdevices.com/index.html

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=25771
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Slim Devices New 'Transporter' - 07/25/06 01:22 AM
It looks beautiful, but $2000?? My jaw dropped.

(it's around here somewhere...)
Posted By: real80sman Re: Slim Devices New 'Transporter' - 07/25/06 01:58 AM
I miss VU meters
Posted By: LHawes Re: Slim Devices New 'Transporter' - 07/25/06 03:27 AM
Yeah I'm with you on the price but there are many a folk (not this non-audiophile) who will spend much more on a top of the line CD player. This has the POTENTIAL to deliver better more consistant digital information than even the best CDP. If it succeeds it will change a lot of what we know about playing digital music, if it doesn't then it's just another expensive gadget and fodder for those "I can hear the difference" "No you can't" "Yes I can" threads that we all know and love.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Slim Devices New 'Transporter' - 07/25/06 05:22 AM
Yeah, just to start that thread, I love the bit about minimizing "jitter" in a solid state device with no moving parts other than the "clever knob."

Riiiiiight. Gotta make sure them 'lectrons don't fall out of the wires!
Posted By: BassTek Re: Slim Devices New 'Transporter' - 07/25/06 05:41 AM
They could at least offer a better remote with that $2000 pricetag. I'm all for the Squeezebox and plan to get one eventually, but the Transporter wouldn't interest me even if I had mountains of cash to burn.
Posted By: Joey_V Re: Slim Devices New 'Transporter' - 07/25/06 05:48 AM
Geeezzz.. that thing is a monster, both in price and as a network player. It's hard enough for me to save up for the SB3, let alone the Transporter. Nice though, I bet it sounds heavenly also!
Posted By: michael_d Re: Slim Devices New 'Transporter' - 07/25/06 02:59 PM
I like the Opus. http://www.olive.us/p_bin/

Bit too spendy for me, but maybe they'll come down in price in few months.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Slim Devices New 'Transporter' - 07/25/06 03:12 PM
The Opus is even prettier, in a minimalist sense. Looks like the display borrowed heavily from the iPod, though.
Posted By: LHawes Re: Slim Devices New 'Transporter' - 07/25/06 05:09 PM
Yeah that Opus looks pretty cool. It would save, I assume, on the cost of another, separate PC or NAS server, of which the Transporter is dead without.

To me it is very exciting to see music listening change so quickly before our eyes. There is NOTHING I have done that has increased my listening enjoyment more than the Squeeze Box. Every song, right there, any time. Have not turned on my CD player for a month and need to find a place to store my CD's as I NEVER use them after ripping.

So I just hope the digital revolution continues with more Olives and more Transporters as the competition can do nothing but bring the prices down and increase our options.

Larry
Posted By: LightninJoe Re: Slim Devices New 'Transporter' - 07/25/06 07:03 PM
Quote:

I like the Opus

That's a pretty cool player. But $1K to upgrade to 750GB? What are they buying their HDs at 1992 prices? $99 is more like it.
Posted By: mrnomas Re: Slim Devices New 'Transporter' - 07/25/06 07:45 PM
Personally, I was really impressed with the Olive Symphony. Very intuitive interface. It just needs some sort of on-screen display or LCD remote. That little screen on the unit is just too small, even with the large text enabled.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Slim Devices New 'Transporter' - 07/25/06 07:46 PM
750 GB is still pretty big, especially if they're talking about a single drive. Well, if they're talking about a single drive, I can see why it's so 'spensive!
Posted By: curtis Re: Slim Devices New 'Transporter' - 08/09/06 09:35 PM
I just sold my Squeezebox2 and setup a Sonos system.
Posted By: LHawes Re: Slim Devices New 'Transporter' - 08/10/06 04:27 AM
Curtis would you mind giving us your impressions? Likes? Dislikes? Comparison to Squeeze Box?

Thanks
© Axiom Message Boards