Axiom Home Page
Posted By: murphyman harsh edgy sounding speakers? - 10/09/02 04:10 AM
I think all of these post of harsh sounding speakers is the direct result of power,or lack there of.I found by adding a 400 watt per channel power amp that the bass increased ten fold and that the harshness turned into clarity and detail that blends in perfectly.even though my m 80's worked with my onkyo receiver the sound never came together untill I intrduced the power amp to my system.anyone else feel the same?
Posted By: Patchwork Re: harsh edgy sounding speakers? - 10/09/02 01:08 PM
murphyman

you might be onto something. I would suggest to anyone who is having a very bad experience with Axiom to take those speakers and plug them into different electronics, or maybe another room. There could easily be an outside factor affecting their sound. I have never noticed harshness or edgyness. However, remembering my days as a kid when I had 2 wpc computer speakers, if I put them up a bit, they sounded very harsh and edgy. Lack of power may very well be the reason.
Posted By: savage10 Re: harsh edgy sounding speakers? - 10/22/02 12:19 AM
I powered my M3ti with a 50W/channel tube amp and I didn't notice any brightness. It used to sound very harsh and bright with my ss amp. But not w/ tube.

Good Luck.
Posted By: ddz0247 Re: harsh edgy sounding speakers? - 10/22/02 03:54 PM
400 watts amp? How much is it?
I use Denon 3802. If this is inadequate, we shouldn't buy axiom at first place.

Posted By: john_henderson Re: harsh edgy sounding speakers? - 10/22/02 05:36 PM
Don't get yourself even drawn into this one, read the following post for details on this debate. http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=tech&Number=6362&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=

On the second page of post murphyman starts into this whole thing about the 400 watt amp.

Posted By: murphyman Re: harsh edgy sounding speakers? - 10/23/02 09:48 PM
check out Ian's and Amie's tower of power on the Axiom wall of fame @www.axiomaudio.com/wallofame.html dose it prove anything or is it just another nice system? sorry I don't know how to post a link,maybe someone else you'ld like to give it a go.........
Posted By: seanandredj Re: harsh edgy sounding speakers? - 10/23/02 10:20 PM
during your post, you will see on the upper right corner of the page saying "so you may use UBBCode in your posts." (only if your uubcode is enabled), click that link and you will get another page that contains all the necessary info about adding UUBCODE.
Posted By: formula1freak Re: harsh edgy sounding speakers? - 10/23/02 11:01 PM
i have my m50's hooked up to my 20 year old sansui 8900 dlb dc reciever. and let me tell you it opened up the speakers 10 fold compared to my denon 1802
Posted By: john_henderson Re: harsh edgy sounding speakers? - 10/24/02 12:06 AM
Murphyman your not going to try to start into this all over again, Ian's Tower of Power are mono blocks so you need all of them to get the 6 channels. And yes the only thing it says is I have a nice system, not look what I need to drive these speakers.
Posted By: john_henderson Re: harsh edgy sounding speakers? - 10/24/02 01:20 AM
Hi Murphyman,

I was thinking about this whole current vs. power debate that we have been having and I see that you don't seem to be making the connection. From your profile I see that you are into Hot Rods, so maybe I can explain it a little differently to you. We can equate this very nicely in terms of Horse Power and Torque (HP=watts, Torque=current). Think of your Onkyo as a Chevy 350 small block that puts out 400hp with 385 lb/ft of torque, on the other side of this we have a Denon 5803 this is like lets, say a Cummins ISM 400 which also puts out 400hp but with 1450 lb/ft of torque. Now we look the load we are going to pull. 8ohms=5000lbs 4ohms=10,000 lbs 2ohms =20,000 lbs. If I take your small block Chevy with the same HP output as the Cummins and I hook them up the 5000lb load. They both pull the load very happily and go about their business, now we move on to the 10,000 lb load the small block could probably move the load, Albeit not very well. Its going to overheat the engine is certainly being overworked and inevitably will shut down if you don't back off. Hook up to the 20,000 lbs, the small block will just curl up and die, the Cummins will not even be breathing hard. Same HP output why the difference? Torque correct? Same equates in watts vs. current. I hope that this analogy helps to put things into perspective for you.

Regards
John.

Posted By: murphyman Re: harsh edgy sounding speakers? - 10/24/02 01:27 AM
I"m not trying to start anything! honest I"m not!I absolutly LOVE my Axiom speakers!but just maybe you need higher end equipment to acheive better sound.I think in the old days there was less gadgets and better sound and now it's the other way around,more gadgets and less sound for the money.plus since Axiom speakers are so detailed maybe they not only unmask harsh recordings but also harsh sounding equipment.but I did notice an increase in bass with the amp upgrade.sorry John but you can't deny me my own personal observations.by the way,do you work for Axiom?
Posted By: john_henderson Re: harsh edgy sounding speakers? - 10/24/02 01:59 AM
Hi Murphyman,

I hear you, and you are correct that I cannot deny you’re your own personal observations. It’s not the observations that I question, it’s the thoughts behind the observations and the reasoning behind them that is flawed. I am just trying to get you to understand the whole watts vs. current thing so that maybe you will see how it really works. Hence the analogy in my last post of HP vs. Torque before your reply, I don’t mean to be sound hostile towards you or anything of the sort. It just seems to me that maybe your were not putting it together.

Enough said, if you are happy with your axioms now then that is what counts so I hope that you are finally able to enjoy them as you were expecting to.

Regards
John.

Posted By: murphyman Re: harsh edgy sounding speakers? - 10/24/02 03:01 AM
nice post but I got you're point awhile ago......but what company gives out current specs? I think all in all if the receiver company says 6 ohm that means don't go lower than 6 ohm because that receiver dose not have the current in the power supply to be stable.ofcourse they don't want to admit it.I mailed Onkyo on this subject awhile ago and they said although our receivers are tested under a 6 ohm load 4 ohm speakers should be fine.basicly the same response Axiom basicly said so it all falls on a "fickel" protective mode circuit or a system that was designed specificly for a given load.just like engines you need to match the power suply to the speakers or load.lets say I build a 340 to pull 11's in a duster that weighs 2200 pounds well you can't put that system in a 3500 pound cuda and expect it to even come close.you would need a big block to meet or exceed that but you also have a nicer car.
Posted By: john_henderson Re: harsh edgy sounding speakers? - 10/24/02 03:38 AM
Ah, and there in lies the problem, as you say they do not give out the current ratings, the specs Onyo give on that amp are miss leading for anyone that looks at them, and now you know why. You would not have bought that receiver if they did. There is a reason that shinny new Denon 5803 cost 4 times the price of the Onkyo. Now by adding your big block amp you get to the level where you can drive the speakers without running out of head room like your Onkyo did. So everything is better just like it would be adding the big block to the Cuda (as long as the wife doesn’t know the cost of it) Glad to see now that we are on the same wave length. And by the way I am glad to see you’re also an automotive enthusiast too!

Cheers
John.

Posted By: polara Re: harsh edgy sounding speakers? - 10/24/02 09:30 AM
first a cheby looses to a diesel- now mopars this web sight gets better all the time.murphyman when i finish my 62 polara can we race( 484 stroker with 1970 nascar prototype heads)
Posted By: murphyman Re: harsh edgy sounding speakers? - 10/24/02 11:59 AM
484? that sounds like an offset ground 440 crank in a 400 block stroker set up.I just so happen to have a '72 400 block in the works myself.working on a 474 setup with a 4-speed and 3.91 rear in a 70 'cuda.problem is the car gets worked on more than driven.
Posted By: polara Re: harsh edgy sounding speakers? - 10/24/02 08:18 PM
mine has been under restoration for 6 years(originaly bought it in 82)-try and find nice sheet metal for a new york state 62 dodge b body, aint easy.
i know one of the best mopar guys around, he did the prototype head work for them in the late60's early 70's, he let me grab some stuff from his basement for my motor- the problem with the heads are that i must get a sheet metal intake made- intake runners the size of a bb cheby.i want to put a pair of m80's in the back seat( had to keep this a axiom related thread-lol)
© Axiom Message Boards