Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Joey_V Going to have an M3ti shootout.... - 12/03/06 07:07 AM
A local audiophile is coming over to my place with his Axiom M3ti and we're going to be having a shootout between several speakers. I'm looking forward to hearing the M3ti since I've never heard this particular speaker and it's been a long while since I've heard an Axiom speaker (since I owned the M22ti).

We're going to be putting these on 31" Omnimount stands and positioned about 8feet from each other and the seating position (equilateral triangle). The M3ti will have the handicap of bass extension, so we will take that into account. What I will be looking for will be imaging, stage, and overall vocal focus (disregarding the bass).

The gear we will be using will include the following gear:

Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CD player or Squeezebox 3 -> Cary Audio SLP-98 Tube Preamplifier -> Plinius SA102 Class A SS amplifier -> Axiom M3ti /or/ AV123 Strata Mini /or/ Martin Logan Summit

I will post pictures and thoughts from me and my friend later this week. We are hoping to get together on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Thanks,
Joey
Posted By: JohnK Re: Going to have an M3ti shootout.... - 12/03/06 07:31 AM
Very good, Joey; will be interested to read your impressions vs that rather pricey competition(the ratios of about 1:5:30 are a bit unusual for a shootout).
Posted By: Ajax Re: Going to have an M3ti shootout.... - 12/03/06 02:44 PM
Yes it will be intersting to see how a $320 bookshelf pair stands up to $1600 and $10,000 floorstanders.

Onix Strata Mini Martin Logan Summit
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Going to have an M3ti shootout.... - 12/03/06 03:16 PM
why are you comparing apples to oranges and grapefruit?
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Going to have an M3ti shootout.... - 12/03/06 03:30 PM
Should be a fun shootout, Joey. Looking forward to it. It will be fun to see how close or how far apart soundwise these speakers are from each other. Pics would be awesome (hint hint).
Posted By: bridgman Re: Going to have an M3ti shootout.... - 12/03/06 03:40 PM
>>why are you comparing apples to oranges and grapefruit?

Because with speakers sometimes the apple wins

Seriously, as long as the conclusion isn't just "the inexpensive speaker wasn't as good so I'm going to tell everyone that speaker sucks" these comparisons can be really instructive. I was really surprised how well the M3s held up in a direct comparison with M60s, for example.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Going to have an M3ti shootout.... - 12/03/06 07:14 PM
It does honestly sound like the term "listening session" would be more applicable than "shootout" with those price differences.... but I'm picking nits...or Freakin' Nuts....or something like that....
Posted By: bridgman Re: Going to have an M3ti shootout.... - 12/03/06 08:06 PM
No argument there... but the attendance at "shootouts" is much better than at "listening sessions"
Posted By: Joey_V Re: Going to have an M3ti shootout.... - 12/04/06 02:32 AM
The entire session is moreso because the guy who is visiting me with his M3ti is wondering how they perform against the AV123 Strata Minis and whether or not he finds that they are worth the price jump from the M3.

This wont be like what happened back in the day with my M22... this will be a far better and behaved review. I am quite excited to hear the M3ti after quite some time of not having heard any type of Axiom speaker. I'm interested in how it does in my room with my equipment also.

My room isn't the best, a lot of you guys here probably have better rooms that I do. All my audio gear is in my room because I found that my living room is way too "live" in terms of echoes and what not.... so dont expect some grand photos of the 3 speaker sets when I post them here in a few days.

I will comment on several aspects of sonic reproduction, namely:
1. Highs
2. Midrange
3. Bass (with the knowledge that the M3 should not be held accountable for not being full range)
4. Imaging
5. Soundstaging
6. Coherence, overall
7. Realism

This will be fair listening session.

Joey
Posted By: Ajax Re: Going to have an M3ti shootout.... - 12/04/06 04:45 AM
Looking forward to your thoughts.
Posted By: KC23 Re: Going to have an M3ti shootout.... - 12/04/06 03:29 PM
Quote:

why are you comparing apples to oranges and grapefruit?

Because he can. :P
Posted By: BrenR Re: Going to have an M3ti shootout.... - 12/04/06 10:38 PM
Quote:

3. Bass (with the knowledge that the M3 should not be held accountable for not being full range)

Well, to make it even, disconnect the woofer on the M/Ls...

Bren R.
Posted By: Joey_V Re: Going to have an M3ti shootout.... - 12/05/06 05:47 AM
Quote:

Quote:

Well, to make it even, disconnect the woofer on the M/Ls...

Bren R.

LOL!

If I did that, the MLs would cut out at 270hz.... talk about anemic bass response!

2 days and counting.

I have 3 preamps in my room at the moment, the Cary SLP-98, the Rogue Audio 99 preamp, and the Rogue Audio Metis preamp. All 3 are tube preamps and all 3 sound good. But I think I'm going to go with the Cary 98 for the listening session as I think it is the most musical and best vocals.

Cant wait for wednesday, my Sylvania NOS 6SN7GTA tubes arrive and I'm going to replace the cheapie Chinese tubes of the Cary.

Joey
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Going to have an M3ti shootout.... - 12/05/06 05:24 PM
Aren't they going to need time to break in first?
Posted By: Ajax Re: Going to have an M3ti shootout.... - 12/05/06 06:40 PM
LOL! You troublemaker, you.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Going to have an M3ti shootout.... - 12/05/06 06:47 PM
Actually, with tubes, he may have a point.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Going to have an M3ti shootout.... - 12/05/06 09:11 PM
Ah, yes. Assumed he meant the speakers.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Going to have an M3ti shootout.... - 12/05/06 09:21 PM
Yeah, but I was muckraking anyway.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Going to have an M3ti shootout.... - 12/05/06 09:23 PM
I should know better than to give anyone around here the benefit of the doubt.
Posted By: Joey_V Re: Going to have an M3ti shootout.... - 12/05/06 10:30 PM
Tubes are going in prior to the demo... I want to see if I actually like it.

I'm having a hard time deciding between the preamps.... the Cary SLP98 is great... but so is the Rogue 99 in its own ways. Been a/b-ing it with the Summits and it's hard since each has it's own signature to the sound. I want to choose the better one prior to the demo/listening session tomorrow.

Damn this...

Joey
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Going to have an M3ti shootout.... - 12/05/06 10:35 PM
Actually, Ken, you shouldn't doubt the benefit anyone gives around here.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Going to have an M3ti shootout.... - 12/05/06 10:38 PM
I'm sure that means ... something.

Benefit of the doubt. What a strange phrase.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Going to have an M3ti shootout.... - 12/06/06 06:36 AM
Onix Strata Mini

How do they get away with calling this a "Mini"?
Posted By: Joey_V Re: Going to have an M3ti shootout.... - 12/06/06 07:19 AM
Quote:

Dunno man... but those things came in 2 crates and each weighed 140lbs. I say, there's nothing Mini about them at all. Heavier than my Logans.

Joey
Posted By: Ajax Re: Going to have an M3ti shootout.... - 12/06/06 01:39 PM
Quote:

Cuz, believe it or not, there's going to be a "Maxi". It will be considerably larger. By the way, in the Mini's "bustle," is an 8", rear firing, powered woofer.

The Strata line is intended for two channel listening. There is no center or surrounds, and I don't believe any are planned. Since I'm a "multichannel" guy, and couldn't afford them even if I wasn't, I have no interest in the Stratas. I think they're nice looking, though.

They're also bringing out a Line Source series of speakers

The "small" one (LS6) will be 68" tall (5'8"), and the large one (LS9) will be 81" tall (6'9")
Posted By: Wid Re: Going to have an M3ti shootout.... - 12/06/06 03:09 PM
Those are some beautiful speakers. If I didn't already have my M80s I would have to give some thought into buying those.
Posted By: BBIBH Re: Going to have an M3ti shootout.... - 12/06/06 08:01 PM
Quote:

The "small" one (LS6) will be 68" tall (5'8"), and the large one (LS9) will be 81" tall (6'9")

That reminds me of the Infinity IRS V Beta that came in 4 cabinets (2 woofer and 2 mid/tweeter) that were about 7 feet tall!

One vendour in Toronto was offering a free compact car (value $10k) when you purchased these for $100k!!!!
Posted By: Joey_V Re: Going to have an M3ti shootout.... - 12/07/06 07:11 AM
Done and done... shootout/listening session completed!

Look for the new thread!

Thanks,
Joey V
© Axiom Message Boards