Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Hutzal Piano Music? - 01/29/07 05:12 PM
Hey all,

I am looking for some piano recordings (non-classical) that is original stuff and sounds great.

I really love the sound of the piano, and I like original compositions that are just plain and simple melody's that don't have a classical hint to them.

Perhaps something similar to Craig Armstrong (he has great stuff, I have yet to listen to his stuff on the Axioms, tonite perhaps).
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Piano Music? - 01/29/07 05:20 PM
Bill Evans.

Oscar Peterson.
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Piano Music? - 01/29/07 05:22 PM
Quote:

Bill Evans.

Oscar Peterson.

Sorry, forgot to mention no jazz.

I am looking for modern stuff. Thanks for the suggestions though! (I love both of those piano players)
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Piano Music? - 01/29/07 05:32 PM
diana krall, oh wait you don't want jazz.
Posted By: Wid Re: Piano Music? - 01/29/07 05:32 PM
I am interested in the same thing.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Piano Music? - 01/29/07 05:50 PM
The closest thing I listen to occasionally with piano in it is Elton John and Supertramp and they both sound incredible.

BTW, have fun rediscovering your music and DVD collection with the new speakers.
Posted By: PeterChenoweth Re: Piano Music? - 01/29/07 06:46 PM
George Winston. 'Forest' would be my favorite, although all of his stuff is excellent if you are a lover of the piano.
Posted By: Nachosgrande Re: Piano Music? - 01/29/07 07:51 PM
How about Vince Gauraldi Trio doing A Charlie Brown Christmas!

http://www.amazon.com/Charlie-Brown-Christmas-Recording-Television/dp/B000000XDJ

I also recommend anything by Coldplay.
Posted By: thyname Re: Piano Music? - 01/29/07 08:58 PM
Savatage - "The gutter Ballet" if that counts as piano. Why not, it does have piano here and there
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Piano Music? - 01/29/07 09:44 PM
Just to clarify further, I am talking about CDs with JUST piano on them, an artist that his sole focus is piano playing with original melodies that are just plain and simply relaxing.

So, purely instrumental, no vocals at all...

-Hutz
Posted By: jakewash Re: Piano Music? - 01/30/07 12:07 AM
I do have a set of CD's I bought for my wedding and its just titled Piano Dinner music, I have no idea what's on it as far as titles or who is playing it but it sounds incredible the few times I have played it.

When you come to get the FMB's I will let you have a listen.
Posted By: PeterChenoweth Re: Piano Music? - 01/30/07 01:35 AM
I say again, George Winston.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/105...=george+winston

Quote:

Just to clarify further, I am talking about CDs with JUST piano on them, an artist that his sole focus is piano playing with original melodies that are just plain and simply relaxing.

So, purely instrumental, no vocals at all...

-Hutz

Posted By: golfguy73 Re: Piano Music? - 01/30/07 01:36 AM
You should try an old crazy bayou dude named James Booker. He was magic on piano.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Piano Music? - 01/30/07 04:34 AM
if you want I could record myself playing the entertainer, or how about a little boogie woogie?
Posted By: jakewash Re: Piano Music? - 01/30/07 08:46 AM
I don't know about Robb but I think I would like that very much, just ship the disc up with the Ep 600 and M80's so I could get the full sound.
Posted By: davidsch Re: Piano Music? - 01/30/07 12:35 PM
My suggestion would be Tori Amos, as she is a terrific pianist. Her "Little Earthquakes" CD is predominantly her on the piano and singing. All of her CDs are recorded very well. Most of her later CDs also incorporate a band.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Piano Music? - 01/30/07 01:56 PM
If you want to expand into piano-based rock/pop, then check out the following artists. You should already be familiar with a few of these, at least:

Tori Amos
Fiona Apple
Jackson Browne
Ray Charles
Ben Folds
Billy Joel
Elton John
Norah Jones
Jerry Lee Lewis
Rufus Wainwright
Tom Waits
Stevie Wonder
Posted By: Lorenzo1000 Re: Piano Music? - 01/30/07 05:56 PM
Quote:

If you want to expand into piano-based rock/pop, then check out the following artists. You should already be familiar with a few of these, at least:

Tori Amos
Fiona Apple
Jackson Browne
Ray Charles
Ben Folds
Billy Joel
Elton John
Norah Jones
Jerry Lee Lewis
Rufus Wainwright
Tom Waits
Stevie Wonder

Ooh yes Norah Jones.

Excellent suggestion.

I love her Live in New Orleans DVD. The encore, Tennesee Waltz is my favourite. Great performance and great sound.
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Piano Music? - 01/30/07 06:01 PM
Ya, I gotta get some Norah Jones, i love her stuff.

Keep em coming!
Posted By: Lorenzo1000 Re: Piano Music? - 01/30/07 06:24 PM
OK, getting a little outside of the piano regime but another CD I really enjoy is "O" by Damien Rice. If you ever seen the movie "Closer" than you may heard one of the songs on the CD.
Posted By: richeydog Re: Piano Music? - 01/30/07 08:27 PM
David Lanz---New age artist.

1-Nightfall
2-Heartsounds

EDIT: The above titles are now being released as a Two Disc Set.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Piano Music? - 01/30/07 09:13 PM
OK, since someone said New Age, I'll have to name drop someone.

Yanni.
Posted By: dllewel Re: Piano Music? - 01/30/07 11:18 PM
I too love the sound of the piano. Even more so now since I am an Axiom owner There's a short part early on in The Corpse Bride where Victor plays piano. I never really noticed how beautiful the sound itself was until I heard it on these speakers.

Nora Jones sounds fantastic, especially her first CD available in SACD. I'm growing fonder of the higher resolution audio whenever I can find it.

If you are a Radiohead fan, then there is always this.

In the New Age genre, there's always the Fresh Aire series by Mannheim Steamroller (albums 1-4 are rich in piano).

And this may fall in the Classical genre, Claire de Lun by Debussy is wonderful.
Posted By: Nachosgrande Re: Piano Music? - 01/31/07 04:57 AM
I just picked up Norah Jones on SACD. Can anyone suggest a Diana Krall SACD to those who are new to her? I have seen several studio and live versions but not sure which one to pick...
Posted By: Ajax Re: Piano Music? - 01/31/07 12:11 PM
Depends on your taste. If you really like the old standards (as I do), done in her inimitable jazz style, I'm very partial to When I Look In Your Eyes.

(Link to the redbook version so you can check out the tunes if you wish)

If you'd like something a bit more modern, The Girl In The Other Room is a very tasteful collection of originals written by her husband, Elvis Costello, and herself, along with others by Tom Waits, Mose Allison, Joni Mitchell, etc. I'm find the song Narrow Daylight hauntingly beautiful. YMMV

Link to the redbook version

I enjoy both SACDs.

P.S. Her Live In Paris DVD Concert in DD 5.1 surround sound is well worth your attention as well. She's a delight to the eyes as well as the ears.

Redbook version
Posted By: garyz Re: Piano Music? - 02/02/07 08:38 PM
For fine piano music give an artist by the name of Kostia a listen.
Try this... www.rhapsody.com/kostia
Posted By: NADishman Re: Piano Music? - 02/03/07 08:17 AM
umm, it's jazz but...

Have you heard Keith Jarrett? Piano, original melodies, no vocals (well, not intentional at least). Some of the best music - not just piano music - ever played, recorded or heard.

Bill Evans? Erroll Garner? Oscar Peterson?

All artists mentioned have recorded solo sets; worth a listen. As far as I know (and please correct me) most solo piano without vocals is either jazz or classical.

Or you could come and hear me bang the keys after a few drinks (saving grace: I don't sing - don't hum... actually I barely even play).

NADishman
(post #2 - hello everybody)
Posted By: dllewel Re: Piano Music? - 02/03/07 03:01 PM
Quote:

(post #2 - hello everybody)

Hello and welcome!
Posted By: Babalu Re: Piano Music? - 02/05/07 05:40 PM
A little jazzy but Herbie Hancock and Chick Corea Live is really excellent. Not your typical jazz. Chick and Herbie have a great chemisty. It's piano ONLY.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Piano Music? - 02/05/07 05:41 PM
Nice to know that "your typical jazz" is really mindless pap.
© Axiom Message Boards