Axiom Home Page
With thanks to Stereo Times for their review of the Antique Sound Labs MG S1 15DT:

"The Antique Sound Lab MG SI 15 DT is an exceptionally seductive and tantalizing amplifier. Its midrange and treble performance capture the sonic beauty of instruments in a way that re-awakens the ear’s delight in sonorous beauty and at a level of resolution that should arouse “Eureka!” responses, especially given its affordable price. Its rendering of CD should melt the heart of anyone frustrated by that format’s unnatural aspects. Though the amp’s bass performance, like every tube amp I’ve ever heard, falls short of a good solid-state amp’s drive, timing and control, and thus will limit the amp’s performance with some music, its opening up of a wide category of music’s deep sonic beauty is a rare achievement indeed, and one well worth the amp’s affordable price of admission.

Paul Szabady"

I have one of these and agree with Paul's review. I can also attest as to how sweet a match this tubie is with the Axiom M3s. Not as good with the M2s or the M22s, but super with the M3s.
I've read some pretty sketchy reviews as far as ASL's quality control, but I must say I wouldn't mind giving a tube amp a try with my M3s. $1100 is a pretty good chunk of change, though.
I've wanted to try one of these guys for quite some time. I have noticed the used market on MG SI15DT is very scarce. I don't know if ASL has stopped making them or what. You can sometimes find used ones on eBay for a good price. Older moldels don't have the biasing meter built in.
I'm (I think) with Adam on this. I'm curious about and receptive to the notion of a 2-channel tube system; I just can't afford to be that kind of curious at the moment.

I too have been curious about a tube set up. I think I might look into a tube buffer to use in my headphone set up. That should give me some kind of idea as to whether I like the sound without spending to much.
Quote:

I think I might look into a tube buffer to use in my headphone set up.

That was the first step I took--not for headphones though. Kinda opened the flood gates after that. First, tried a tube integrated, then a tube preamp, now some hefty tube amps.

Rick, you might look at a tube preamp with a heaphone jack. I think you'll get more immediate results than with the tube buffer--although the buffer will definitely be a cheaper introduction.
Yes, I paid just under $700 for one of these ... new, not many years ago. I think the dollar may be weakening. $1100 is not cheap. But the music it reproduces is truly and heart wrenchingly exquisite.
I looked at Audiogon and there isn't much like this one from ASL. There are a couple of Prima Luna's though.

I've dipped my foot w/ a Sophia Baby Amp. I really like it. Not bad for a $400 investment.

I was also intrigued by this article in my local paper. I have coworkers that go to Shenzen and Shanghai often, so I'm considering having them see what deals they can find for me. Heck, I'd even buy from the factory direct if it was possible.

Chinese Tube Equipment
Oldskoolboarder, most of the great tube amps out there are made in China. (including ASL) You should be able to get some great deals there. I haven't heard the Prima Luna but many reviewers who I respect love them. Kevin Scales from Upscale Audio in Ontario California thinks they're great.

Don't know the Sophia, but I like the name.

Hope you find a good one!

I've been checking out Pacific Valve for some of their wares. The prices don't seem to be too bad.
Such as the 708B?

Quote:

truly and heart wrenchingly exquisite

Slayer never sounded so good.
Yeah Rich I have had my eye on that one but I would more than likely go with the tube buffer in front of the Creek amp instead.
So, does owning a Jolida 1501RC hybrid let me into the club? I do love it, and I have it driving a pair of Maggie MMGs. Very nice pairing, and it does sound different (and better) to me than either the Outlaw monoblocks or Rotel integrated (908BX I think). I have not tried it with my wife's pair of M3tis, but perhaps I will someday.

Rich
Hey Rich, how do you like the Maggies?
Tom, I love them. You either love that sound or you don't. There is just such an incredible sense of presence, of air, of just being there in the middle of the instruments.

On the downside, placement is a huge requirement, so they weren't a good fit for the home theater or main living areas.

Drop me a line if you want more info! I know that lots of folks who love planars can't listen to non-planars, but I've got room in my heart for all of them!

Oh, and the Jolidas have been the best sounding amp with the maggies, and they do require some serious juice!

Rich
© Axiom Message Boards