Axiom Home Page
Posted By: RickF Derek Trucks - 'Songlines' DVD - 03/06/07 11:53 PM
Wife and I watched the new Derek Trucks Band live performance DVD 'Songlines' last evening and I can certainly recommend this to any D. Trucks fans, we enjoyed it very much ...

Songlines DVD
Posted By: samandnoah Re: Derek Trucks - 'Songlines' DVD - 03/07/07 08:05 PM
Quote:

Wife and I watched the new Derek Trucks Band live performance DVD 'Songlines' last evening and I can certainly recommend this to any D. Trucks fans, we enjoyed it very much ...

Songlines DVD

I took my boys to see Eric Clapton this past Fri in Houston. Derek played with him (as did Doyle Bramhall II) and he was amazing. I was absolutely awestruck. He is channeling something special, not unlike another legend we both love: SRV.

I am shocked to hear the thoughts in my head that I'm about to write: he surpasses anybody out there today. And not just on slide. Anything. Anybody. Period. Perhaps it was seeing him live. I kept saying to my wife and my boys (ages 12 and 14) "you just don't understand". I said it so often that it has become an inside joke since then!

So I appreciate you mentioning this DVD. I will have to procure it immediately!

For anyone wondering about going to see EC, DO IT. Great show, heavy on the Derek and the Dominoes period. A couple of acoustic numbers. I know some folks were disapppointed, but if you love classic Clapton you must see it. I'm a little sorry I didn't see him the next night in San Antonio because Jimmie Vaughan came up on stage to play with Eric.

I've rambled enough. Go. Listen. Enjoy.

Rich
Posted By: RickF Re: Derek Trucks - 'Songlines' DVD - 03/07/07 11:56 PM
Rich the very first time I saw (and heard) Derek Trucks on a video I actually thought he was blind, it's amazing to me to watch an artist such as him channel his music...he makes it look so very easy. I know you'll enjoy the DVD, tell me what you think afterwards. I'd really like to see he and his wife, Susan Tedeschi together ... I'm betting that would be a heck of a show.

Man that E.C. certainly has surrounded himself with some great musicians lately. That had to have been a real treat to see Doyle Bramhall, Derek Trucks and E.C. together, very glad you all enjoyed the show.

Thanks for sharing your review!
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Derek Trucks - 'Songlines' DVD - 03/08/07 02:03 AM
I ordered the DVD from DeepDiscount for about $9.

Of course, I threw another $50+ in the cart for good measure.

Looking forward to it! Thanks so much for the tip!
Posted By: samandnoah Re: Derek Trucks - 'Songlines' DVD - 03/08/07 01:06 PM
Rick--

Exactly! It is that ease with which the music just seems to flow from him that is so remarkable.

I had no idea that Susan Tedeschi was his wife. I've never seen her in person, but I know a few songs she's done, most notably with Double Trouble! I like her voice. No doubt her and Derek would make for a great show.

The DVD is on order, so thanks for pointing it out. Tom, I knew I should have waited to see if you'd come up with a less expensive source! I actually tried to do a search and came up empty handed.

Take care,
Rich
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Derek Trucks - 'Songlines' DVD - 03/08/07 05:56 PM
I'm a big Susan Tedeschi fan. I've never seen her live, but have seen the ACL or Soundstage TV appearance. I've seen the Allman Brothers a few times, but it's been quite a few years since the last time.

Rich, you know not the glory of DVDPriceSearch? Amazingly good tool.
Posted By: samandnoah Re: Derek Trucks - 'Songlines' DVD - 03/10/07 10:10 PM
That's a great site. Got it bookmarked. Thanks Tom!
Rich
Posted By: RickF Re: Derek Trucks - 'Songlines' DVD - 03/13/07 01:21 AM
Thanks for the link to the site Tom, those are very good prices.

I hope you and Rich enjoy the DVD as much as we have thus far!
Posted By: KC23 Re: Derek Trucks - 'Songlines' DVD - 03/14/07 03:56 AM
Had never heard of the guy. Definately love EC though so I took a listen on Rhapsody ... me likes ... me likes a lot.

Gonna have to order this up. Thanks for the tip. Much appreciated.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Derek Trucks - 'Songlines' DVD - 03/21/07 11:00 PM
Well, Rick and Rich, I have really been enjoying this DVD and want to thank you for the recommendation.

I was prepared for the virtuosity. What I was NOT prepared for was either the unusual picking technique or Derek's somewhat stoic stage manner. I would have thought it would be very difficult to stand still while riffing so evocatively. I'm not complaining, exactly. He is a great player, and I thoughtfully reflect on a couple of things that are relevant. First, the rest of the band members do emote visibly, so it's not a lifeless performance by any means. Second, and critically, I recall Derek's comment in the introduction about performing live being "like church". His playing is thoughtful, spiritual and passionate; his emotion is somewhat more inwardly focused than I expected.

Another thing that surprised me was the musical diversity explored. I confess to enjoying the tighter arrangements somewhat more than the extended jams (yes, I'm getting old. Shut up.), but the notion that the music is obviously informed and influenced by many cultures is exhilerating.

The band is amazing. I enjoyed the arrangements and the musicianship very much, and was moved that everybody seems to be enjoying themselves. I was particularly impressed by the singer.

Nice quality production on the DVD, too. This is a keeper, for sure!

I was delighted to find a very significant amount of Derek Trucks content at the Live Music Archive. I have been especially enjoying some songs where Susan Tedeschi joins the band.

Thanks again for the excellent recommendation.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Derek Trucks - 'Songlines' DVD - 03/22/07 12:02 AM
Any of you Derek Trucks fans ever enjoy Gov't Mule?
Posted By: Wid Re: Derek Trucks - 'Songlines' DVD - 03/22/07 01:03 AM
Ol BrotherBob turned me on to Gov't Mule some time ago. It's a solid recommendation.
Posted By: RickF Re: Derek Trucks - 'Songlines' DVD - 03/22/07 01:08 AM
Tom I'm glad you enjoyed the DVD, I wasn't surprised with the way that Derek can be stoic while playing because I've seen him play with the Allman Brothers and he is exactly the same ... he and Warren Haynes are a very good combination with that band, which by the way I don't know if you are aware that Derek is the nephew of long time Allman Brothers drummer Butch Trucks.

Mark, speaking of Warren Haynes ... yes I do like Gov't Mule although I only have two of their CD's (DeJa Voodoo & High And Mighty), very good music. 'Time Will Tell' on the Austin City Limits Music Festival 2005 DVD is very good.

Love the new avatar also!
Posted By: KC23 Re: Derek Trucks - 'Songlines' DVD - 03/23/07 07:26 AM
Recently saw Derek Trucks with Eric Clapton and it was a dream concert for me. Absolutely incredible.

I also picked up the Songlines DVD and that is an amazing demonstration of slide playing.

Stunning. Ty for the recommendation, very happy with it.
Posted By: samandnoah Re: Derek Trucks - 'Songlines' DVD - 03/23/07 03:19 PM
I finally got the DVD and got to hear it, too. While it is amazing, I still recommend seeing him play live.

But I have to confess, I just don't love Mike Mattison's vocals on most of the numbers. It might be one I'll grow to appreciate upon repeated hearings, but it is not a voice I love immediately.

Gov't Mule is an outstanding recommendation. In a slightly different vein, I also enjoy Joe Bonamassa. I don't actually own any, but every time I hear one of his songs, it always seem to capture my attention. He's coming through town soon so I will try to catch him live.

Rick, since you obviously love this stuff, and mentioned the ACL Live disk, you got any plans to come to the festival? I live in Austin, and have offered to others (Tom, you reading?) to host somebody, or at the very least help figure out the logistics of visiting Austin and enjoying the festival.

That invitation extends to anyone coming to visit Austin, for any reason!

Take care,
Rich
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Derek Trucks - 'Songlines' DVD - 03/23/07 03:39 PM
I Read You, Rich! I'll work on it.

You been drinkin' already this morning?
Posted By: samandnoah Re: Derek Trucks - 'Songlines' DVD - 03/23/07 04:38 PM
Quote:

You been drinkin' already this morning?

I do sound pretty jovial, don't I? Don't tell anyone at work -- they all think I'm a misanthropic curmudgeon.

Rich
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Derek Trucks - 'Songlines' DVD - 03/23/07 04:50 PM
Quote:

I also enjoy Joe Bonamassa. He's coming through town soon so I will try to catch him live.

Last year, before I hooked up with that concert venue, I decided NOT to pursue tix for BB King with Kenny Wayne Shepherd and Joe Bonamassa opening.

:::SMACKS FOREHEAD::: STUPID!!
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Derek Trucks - 'Songlines' DVD - 03/23/07 05:04 PM
Quote:

SMACKS FOREHEAD

I'm betting Joyce can help you out with that.
© Axiom Message Boards