Axiom Home Page
Posted By: dmw Sherwood RX-770??? - 01/03/08 04:49 PM
I can't seem to find any reviews on this stereo receiver. I do a new search every few months or so since it hit the market, but I never turn up anything. The same small amount of info that is available on the Axiom site is what is at the manufacturers site and elsewhere on the web.

It doesn't make any specific claims about power into a 4ohm load, so I wonder if it is a good choice for the M80. And more specifically, is it a better choice than the Harmon Kardon 3480, which has a definite power rating into 40hms, and is well reviewed and inexpensive?
Posted By: Wid Re: Sherwood RX-770??? - 01/03/08 04:55 PM
Alan @ Axiom has high praise for the Sherwood receivers so I would have to imagine it would do just fine with the M80s.

The H/K is a highly regarded unit. I have had personel experiance with it as a freind of mine has one. IMO it is a steal @ under $300.
Posted By: ctown Re: Sherwood RX-770??? - 01/03/08 05:48 PM
What about the Denon DRA-37? It looks to be 4 ohm compatible and I know Alan @ Axiom is a Denon fan too.

http://usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3389.asp
Posted By: doormat Re: Sherwood RX-770??? - 01/03/08 09:26 PM
I don't think I've ever seen a review for any Sherwood Newcastle product. I don't think anyone actually does them. I bought mine based on the salesman (cringe) and a better price compared to similar Rx at the store.

I can tell you I really like my R771 and have never heard any clipping/distortion.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Sherwood RX-770??? - 01/04/08 09:58 AM
I would bet if you opened up a Denon and Sherwood Newcastle you would find almost, if not identical parts inside. S/N is made by the same company that builds Denons.
Posted By: dmw Re: Sherwood RX-770??? - 01/04/08 12:23 PM
Well I found a pdf of the owners manual online and it says to attach only speakers with an 8ohm load or higher to prevent damage, so I guess this answers my question. I don't see the point in making a stereo only receiver these days if it isn't going to handle 4ohms.
As for Sherwood being the same as Denon, I don't know. This particular receiver doesn't seem to correspond with anything Denon offers.
Posted By: Wid Re: Sherwood RX-770??? - 01/04/08 12:46 PM

It may say to only use 8 ohm speakers but I bet it would handle the M80s.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Sherwood RX-770??? - 01/04/08 12:58 PM
I can tell you that the Axiom folks are not shy about cranking up the volume, so if they tell you the Sherwood will drive M80s you can be pretty sure it will drive them. If you want to play it safe get the receiver and speakers both from Axiom.

One of my friends (chips on the board) included a Sherwood receiver in his system (M60 based though). We didn't have a chance to do any sound quality testing against other receivers but I found it to be a very clean and easy to use product.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Sherwood RX-770??? - 01/04/08 04:51 PM
Here is a link to the manufacturer's web site
Posted By: alan Re: Sherwood RX-770??? - 01/04/08 09:48 PM
Hi dmw,

All of the Sherwood Newcastles that Axiom sells, even the most inexpensive, will drive the 4-ohm M80s cleanly, with no current limiting, overheating or shut-down. We even tried a now-deleted model that was a combo DVD player/receiver, and it worked fine with the M80s.

Ignore those warnings about only connecting 8-ohm impedance speakers. Those are there for liability issues and you'll find that most manufacurers include such warnings, even those whose amps will drive 4 ohms without difficulty--the Sherwood N's, Denon, H/Ks, etc.

I've also recommended the H/K 3480 and as was mentioned, it does list the 4-ohm output specs, a relative rarity these days.

Regards,
Posted By: JohnK Re: Sherwood RX-770??? - 01/05/08 03:34 AM
Dan, as Alan indicated, you shouldn't pay too much attention to the "no less than 8 ohms" cautions that appear in many manuals. The fact that a particular unit hasn't been fully certified at 4 ohms(and legal considerations concern the manufacturer)doesn't mean that it won't do the job in the vast majority of applications. The Sherwood or HK models mentioned should serve you well.
© Axiom Message Boards