Axiom Home Page
Posted By: fredk Ouch!! - 08/24/08 02:43 AM
Listening to Aqualung tonight I let it play all the way through including the interview and some (very poorly recorded as it turns out) bonus tracks.

I had forgotten how poorly recorded the bonus tracks were, but on my M80s they were painful. The guitar varied between harsh and drill-through-your-head painful!! That was a first!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Ouch!! - 08/24/08 02:45 AM
That answers my question from the other thread. \:\)
Posted By: Wid Re: Ouch!! - 08/24/08 02:51 AM

I have long ago stopped listening to that cd because of the poor quality it is.
Posted By: fredk Re: Ouch!! - 08/24/08 02:58 AM
Interesting. I don't find the quality of the main tracks that bad, maybe a little short on detail. The bonus material was taken off some radio broadcast by the sound of the intro (just checked the cd, BBC recording it turns out \:o ).

Interestingly, in the interview, Anderson talks about the studio they recorded in and how bad it was. He mentioned they did a lot of eq and filtering to get it to sound better.
Posted By: sovkiller Re: Ouch!! - 09/01/08 02:28 AM
Get the Steve Hoffman version.....LOL....seriously the quality is not that bad, I have the M80's as well, I have heard worst...
Posted By: grunt Re: Ouch!! - 09/01/08 06:10 AM
Fred if you want a real treat for your HT system I general and your M80s I particular get a hold of “Jethro Tull: Live at Montreux 2003” DVD. It has excellent DTS surround and great picture quality.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Ouch!! - 09/01/08 01:03 PM
 Originally Posted By: grunt
get a hold of “Jethro Tull: Live at Montreux 2003” DVD.

It's coming out on Blu-Ray at the end of September...
Posted By: grunt Re: Ouch!! - 09/01/08 04:55 PM
 Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson

It's coming out on Blu-Ray at the end of September...

Thanks for the heads up.
Posted By: fredk Re: Ouch!! - 09/01/08 11:12 PM
My first reaction is that I am not much into music DVDs, but then not so long ago I didn't think I needed surround sound that much for movies. Hmmm...
Posted By: grunt Re: Ouch!! - 09/02/08 12:38 AM
I probably wouldn’t have thought much of music DVDs if it wasn’t for Netfix. Do you have it or a Canadian equivalent? It sure takes the risk out of deciding what to buy if you can demo it first.

Many of them have excellent audio quality offering the choice of 2.0 PCM and DD 5.1 or DTS 5.1. Hearing the multi-channel DTS tracks on DVD convinced me it was worth trying some multi-channel SACDs and I think it’s been more than worth it.

Matter of fact the Jethro Tull DVD was the first I got because it sounded so much better than any of the Cds I have.
Posted By: fredk Re: Ouch!! - 09/02/08 12:49 AM
We do have something like netflix here. I havn't looked into it because I don't consistantly watch movies. I seem to go through binges. Will definately check out that DVD when the budget allows.
Posted By: grunt Re: Ouch!! - 09/02/08 01:00 AM
Another thought is public libraries. Many public libraries here have audio and video sections and can order between each other to expand their available titles. Before Netflix I used them regularly.
Posted By: fredk Re: Ouch!! - 09/03/08 02:41 AM
Good idea. I've been meaning to go back to the library.
© Axiom Message Boards